I just need to gripe! :)

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by storyh, Nov 7, 2007.

1. storyh

storyh Companion

Nov 7, 2007

Okay! I work at a charter school. The first six weeks were terrible. I cried almost everyday! Things are getting better, but here are a list of my gripes.

1. These kids have no accountability. I only give them homework, if they don't finish something in class. It takes an act of Congress to get it back, if I get it back.

2. There is no such thing as a 30 minute duty free lunch in charter schools like there are in AR public schools. I have some lunch, recess, or afternoon pick up duty everyday.

My list was a lot longer at the beginning of the year, and there are more things that bother me, these are just my 2 main gripes. Any suggestions for #1?

I feel like I don't have time for anything. I am on one of my 3 planning periods for the week right now, so I guess I should be using my time more wisely. Thaks for letting me fuss.:)

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 8, 2007

I'm just now getting my own son to bring HOME his homework so he can do it. Start calling parents.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Nov 18, 2007

Hold them accountable for the HW anyway! Explain to the class that you are beginning a new procedure, and that all homework will be graded. If they do not turn it in, they have earned a 0! You don't necessarily have to grade each individual paper -- I'm not trying to bury you with paperwork, lol. However, you could make HW a part (10%?) of the overall grade for each subject.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 18, 2007

Just a thought...

Are there any consequences for homework that isn't returned?

Maybe think of taking away privileges if homework is incomplete. Or, have them call their parents during recess to let them know why they didn't complete their homework.

I have a monthy incentive program for kids that turn in 100% of their homework-- it's called "Lunch Bunch." On the last Friday of each month, students get to have lunch with me in the classroom if they don't miss any homework assignments. I also show a video and bring in a special treat (usually ice cream). Last year, I only had one or two kids each month who didn't get to participate. This year, I've had continued success! :2up:

I've only taught first and second grades, though. I'd assume that third graders would be more responsible, but it sounds like that isn't the case!

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 19, 2007

I have my kids do homework at recess if they don't do it at home, but my school allows that.

7. storyh

storyh Companion

Jan 21, 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to have to try something, but you wouldn't believe the excuses the PARENTS make when their child doesn't turn in homework. Thanks again!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 21, 2008

I'm having the opposite problem. I'm trying to get my son to turn in his homework and teachers are accepting assignments all the way up to the 9th week grading period.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2008

Been there-done that...had to get out of the charter school before I got burned out. Homework wasn't really a problem, but 10 hour days with a 15 minute break if that were a really big problem. Can you have students do homework they miss during recess and lunch?

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 24, 2008

If you have recess duty, have them take it and sit on the bench or ground and do it.

I also like the lunch idea with the teacher as a second motivation. I'd use both.

11. storyh

storyh Companion

Jan 24, 2008

cheery,

Yes. They can do it during recess.

I have lunch duty every other day and recess and parking lot duty on the other days. Somedays lunch is th eonly breakI get so I really don't want to spend it with the kids. Anyway, this is my first year at a charter school. I am hoping to get something different next year.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2008

Can they take their books with them to lunch, and as soon as they're done eating start on their missed assignments. Maybe they can sit at an empty table to eat and work so they don't get as distracted. I wouldn't let them come back to my room with me t finish their work. They might like the extra attention and purposely stop doing homework.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2008

I also used to have a homework chart in my class. If you didn't do your homework you got an X on the chart for that day. I had parents always coming in and looking at the chart to make sure their kid was doing homework.

14. storyh

storyh Companion

Jan 26, 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the homework chart idea.

15. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

You could always start Homeworkopoly. Just search this site or the internet for it.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2008

I'll bet a change will do you good............:)

17. DancingColor

DancingColor Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

I give students weekly "grades" in homework. I check in homework at the beginning of each day. It it isn't completed I circle the box next to their name and their grade is lowered for "work completion" for the week. I send home folders each Monday with a social/behavior grade and a homework grade. Sometimes seeing an "F" on a page for work completion is a scary thing. I put in a footnote that it doesn't reflect actual content grades, but it does reflect work habits and consequently achievement on tests. I also agree with calling. The other suggestion I have is a homework bullseye. Each day there is 100% homework return from the class move an arrow closer to the bullseye. Once it hits the target the class earns a reward, bring in a snack, eat lunch in the room, extra recess time, etc. It has worked really well, and you can include as many rings as you want to make it easy or challenging. Good luck to you!

18. dlstringer

dlstringer Rookie

Mar 1, 2008

I do homework roll call. Students stand up when I call their name. Your name will go on the board if you're left sitting, and you are to line up at the phone during Math Games. I call home IMMEDIATELY!!! I then log it into my communication log. Homework is 15% of their grade in all subjects, and I show them how it can bring their grades up or DOWN.

19. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Apr 13, 2008

gripes

thanks for letting me :cool:know - I don't think I'd ever want to teach in a charter school........hmmm