I Just GOT AN INTERVIEW

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by kathy2215, Jul 17, 2006.

1. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 17, 2006

After months of tying to find a job, I just got an interview for a 6th grade classroom. I need help with the interview it has been almost four years since my last interview and there are reasons I am nervous:confused:

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2006

Congratulations!! Check out the interview thread on here.

4. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jul 17, 2006

congratulations!!! i felt the same way the other day when i got my first call for an interview after months and months of nothingness. my roommate spoiled my mood though when he made the comment "jeeze finally." i know he was joking but i don't think he truly understands or appreciates how hard teachers work during the school year and over the summer while they are looking for new jobs! something that i try to remind myself when i'm nervous for an interview is that 1) that you are also interviewing them... an interview is not only to see if you have what they want but also whether they have what you want and 2) i find that it helps when i think about it more as me just sitting down and having a conversation with some people. i realize that it's a very important conversation where i wouldn't want to say some of the things that i do in front of my friends but thinking about them and talking to them like real people makes it not seem so intimidating for me. i think that it's best to BE YOURSELF.
    good luck with your interview!

5. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Good luck with the interview. I prepared for mine by reading the entire "Let's Start Some Interview Practice..." thread and by finding out something specific about the school and their state assessment scores in the subject I will be teaching. It worked for me I ended up having to choose!

6. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

Congrats and good luck. :) When I was interviewing, my other teacher friends and I would make lists of questions that we had had in previous interviews and then "interview" each other. You could print off some questions that you find in the interview thread that would relate to the position that you are interviewing for and have another teacher go through them with you. Or, you could do that on here. :)

I found I was the most relaxed during interviews when I treated it like a conversation, rather than being interviewed by a group of people. Also, take time to think about your response instead of answering right away.

Good luck! :)

7. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 17, 2006

If anyone can remmber any unusual questions please [ost them for me

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 17, 2006

Kathy go to the Interview Practice Thread. There are a ton of questions and answer posted on it.
    Best of luck at your interview!

9. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Hooray Kathy! That's so exciting! Definitely research the district website as thoroughly as you can. The job I just took didn't have the best website, but I managed to find these "friday reports" that the principal did (basically a weekly newsletter posted online) and went through all of them for the past school year and gained some information. When he asked "why do you want to work in our school district or at this school" (I think they always ask that), I mentioned, "well I've done a lot of research on the website and I loved reading through your 'friday reports.' He seemed happily surprised and kind of chuckled. I expanded on some of the things I found in there to state why I thought the school would be a great place for me. I seriously think that's what made me stand out. So, go into those Superintendent newsletters or principal letters or maybe even classroom newsletters if the teachers have websites to gain any information you can!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Good luck!!