I just found this thread about high school science teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher Brock, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Teacher Brock

Teacher Brock New Member

Feb 9, 2014

Search this on Google

"Are high school science teachers medical school rejects"
    It's on a website called student doctor network.

Is it true?

Is it?

Discuss.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 9, 2014

Based on the name of the thread and the site, I assume it was just meant to troll teachers.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 9, 2014

I'm a middle school teacher and not a high school teacher, but I do have to say there was a brief moment in my schooling in which I considered med school. It was very very brief, and mostly to appease my parents. I honestly think almost 90% of college applicants have some notion of going to med school and often lose that notion and pursue something else along the way.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 10, 2014

I'll play.

I wasn't a reject. *I rejected the medical profession. I chose family over that career path because I knew I couldn't do both well. I went into industry instead and was successful. But again, it interfered with family life too much so I left that career and went into teaching.

But...I imagine that a large portion of high school teachers did not originally choose their profession. This is either a transitory or second career. Of the science teachers about 20% started teaching right out of college. There are just too many options out there for someone with a science background. Teaching doesn't make it to the top of the list often.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2014

I was rejected by Teach for America.

So I became a teacher instead.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2014

Hahaha I never in my life wanted to be a doctor. I thought for a moment about becoming a nurse, but never went very far with it. I thought for longer about being an el ed teacher, then decided I would be terrible at it.

What I've always heard is organic chemistry is the weed-out class for doctors. And to my knowledge, that has been true! :haha:

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 10, 2014

That class was hell! But I have to say that it wasn't as hard as my art history class. Both classes involved way too much memorization.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2014

Agreed. I had to take organic 1 & 2 and man did they suck. I used to call my friend who was a chem major ALL THE TIME to help me. :rolleyes:

I took jazz history. It was a delightful break from my other classes. :thumb:

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Feb 10, 2014

Not true for me. I chose science education because it melds two of my favorite things: biology and teaching.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2014

I have also found that most of the high school teachers at my school either had another career before they became teachers or they "settled" on teaching because their other career goals did not work out. Myself included.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 10, 2014

For most of my department, teaching was our first choice :) I thought about law school for a semester. My friends and family agreed that I would've excelled at law school but hate being a lawyer. They were right as usual. I can't see myself doing anything else.

Of our four science teachers, two are full career teachers who majored in ed. The other two tried other things.

13. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 10, 2014

I want to get my doctorate but I don't want to be a doctor. I used to teach 8th grade IPS

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2014

I've met very few non-med majors who had ANY notion of going to med school. Where did you get that data?

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 10, 2014

Haters gonna hate. It's the only explanation I can fathom for thinking like that.

16. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2014

In my school, for most of us, teaching was our first choice.

17. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 10, 2014

What I do notice in my school is that the science department in my school is the only department with teachers with PhDs. There are around 17 science teachers, and 5 of them have PhDs. No one does in any of the other departments, so while maybe not med school drop-outs, the science department appears to have the greatest amount of career changers...perhaps due to the economy.

18. Teacher Brock

Teacher Brock New Member

Mar 25, 2014

Bump.

19. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 25, 2014

No. Most of the biology teachers at my school used to be ecologists but got bored. The other science teachers have their reasons but none of them ever said they wanted to be a medical doctor.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 25, 2014

I originally wanted to go into business psychology, but that doesn't mean I love teaching any less. Life is a winding road and it takes us all sorts of places. I don't think people are destined for one career or another, nor do I think that because you change your mind or actual career that it means you care less for the new one.

Life just is. It doesn't always need to be quantified.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2014

:thumb: love this! Enjoy the journey.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2014

So, Brock..you haven't been on the forums since your original post on February 9... What are you looking for? If this was a conversation you were truly interested in, wouldn't you have checked in before 'bumping' now? Are you teaching? Taking a class? Doing research? or just stirring things up a bit?