I Just Don't Get It...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Mar 16, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 16, 2012

Pinterest, that is. I finally took the plunge and joined-maybe I haven't played with it enough, but I don't get it. I don't like that it automatically followed everyone I have in FB, even though I did opt out of that option directly after I registered. I even went in to unfollow people, but they just kept adding more.

I found something and couldn't figure out how to actually pin it and what to pin it to. Is there a tutorial somewhere or did you guys just figure it out from playing around with it? Maybe I'm missing something....it just seems so much more time-consuming than adding a page to your favorites or saving a pic from the site.

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2012

What's Pinterest?
    Rebel1

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 16, 2012

It's a site where you can "pin" pics of ideas you find on the web. Like a Delicious account-but you can save the pictures. There are supposed to be tons of teaching ideas, crafts, recipes, etc. But I just can't seem to figure out how to navigate it.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 16, 2012

I just had to play around with it. Now that I "get" what it's about, I use it more.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2012

I want to check it out!
    Is it as cool as this site?
    Rebel1

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2012

I am sure there is a tutorial, but I just played around a bit. I do remember not being impressed my first visit, but the second...I was hooked. I do not follow all my FB friends and it never automatically did that, but that would be frustrated...I hate all these automatically linking programs.

I have tried several recipes and craft projects since joining. Plus I just having collections of things ai enjoy...words, movies, etc.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2012

When I first used it I was completely lost and didn't get what was so great about it. I like that you can visually see your favorites. I save a lot of recipes in Pinterest, so it's nice to see a picture of the dish when I am looking for a recipe to pull from.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2012

I had an account awhile before I really used it. I just recently got more into it.

When you are surfing the web and you see something you want to pin, say a recipe with a picture, copy and paste the web address, open your pinterest in another tab, and click "add" in the top right. Paste in the web address, and if there is a picture, you can pin it. Under "pin it" you can also download a "pin it" button to your task bar, so you can just click it on any page you are on and it will pin that page.

I use it more for other things people pin. First I go on and look at what the people I follow have pinned and repin anything that looks cool. Then I browse the other boards - Sometimes I will click on popular at the top and just browse what others have pinned. Sometimes I will look through other categories - I want to put in a garden soon so that is the one I have been on the most lately. Sometimes I will just browse recipes or crafting. You can also search, so today I searched St. Patrick's Day to find recipes and crafts.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 17, 2012

I don't get it either.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 17, 2012

I did that but it takes all the pics from the page-even the banners and ads and everything.

I guess I just need to play with it more. When I joined it said doing it through FB was the only choice (other than Twitter) and you can go in and turn off that access after-which I did. But I'm still following all my friends and I'm assuming they can automatically follow me, which I really don't want.

I'll try to browse around more today. From everyone's raves though I expected to be wowed and it just made me :dizzy:.;)

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 17, 2012

I'm a visual person, so I like having the pictures. I think of the "boards" as folders. When I find things I like, I put them int he folder. When I pin a site with multiple photos, I just choose the one that I think represents what I want most. I'll also put a note in the descriptions. For instance, I "pinned" several YouTube videos that I use at work. In the description I put the name of the video plus when I need to use it.

I need to make some more boards and divide up some things. I've got a HUGE number of things in recipes. I need to divide them some way to avoid too much in one folder.

I also like that I can have it on my iPod, my Kindle, my work computer, and both of my school computers. A lot of friends are on it, too, so I can "tag" them in things that I want them to see.

13. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 18, 2012

You don't have to join through Facebook. I made a separate account and it didn't automatically follow anyone, although I did link it with Facebook later on to follow a few of my friends (but not all).

Pinterest is like a virtual bulletin board. It's different from regular bookmarking because of the visual aspect. For example, if I want to make something new for dinner, I can look at my food board and see pictures of all different recipes I've pinned and choose one instead of going through links on my bookmark list. I also have a board for home design inspiration, and it's like gathering magazine pictures that might inspire me, but instead they're all neatly displayed and usually linking to interesting things. A lot of people use it a place to gather ideas and resources while planning weddings or other events too. You can pin stuff you find around the internet or browse what others have put there already. Try going by category instead of "everything." It's really what you make of it, and I can see that some might not find it useful.

My one pet peeve with Pinterest is that people don't know how to link things! They'll pin something from a blog and link to the entire blog instead of the specific post with the item or recipe or whatever, so I can never find it!

Edit: Oopsy, I didn't see Ima's comment before I chimed in. Ah well, repeated for emphasis!

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2012

I don't really get it..but I can't stop!

I made one of the brownie recipes this weekend....line your deep pan with cookie dough, then line it with oreos, then top with brownie mix!! OMG! I also like a lot of the holiday ideas!

Crafts are fun too, I made a wipe off count down calendar out of a picture frame and scrapbook paper..so cute!

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2012

One) Yeah, you don't have to join through facebook. I don't think I did.

Two) Follow what Silversppon said about downloading the pin it button to your bookmark bar.
    When you land on a page that you want to pin, you can highlight the title of the page, click on the "pin it" button, and it'll have a picture you can pick along with the title that you highlighted. Easy peasy.

Three) I love Pinterest! I've already used a TON of ideas that I found on there. From workout ideas, to recipes, to art projects for my afterschool program.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 19, 2012

This is what they sent in the e-mail after I got off the waiting list for requesting an invitation:

"I'm excited to invite you to join Pinterest, a social catalog. I can't wait to have you join our little community.

To create your Pinterest account, click the link below and push the blue "FB Connect" button. You can also join with Twitter."

That really was the only way to do it. Maybe they have so many people on there now, they changed their process.

Thanks for all the tips, I need to find some time to go in and play with it, like I said I was just disappointed. I'm pretty good at technology, so it's not that, I just find it hard to navigate and a lot of steps where I could usually just cut/paste the pic.

17. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Mar 19, 2012

@KinderCowgirl You could have someone invite you that way you aren't connected with facebook or twitter.

18. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 19, 2012

I had to go through FB too (not a fan!!) and I don't really 'get it' either. I also expected to be wowed. I guess this is a good example of not jumping off the bridge just becaue everyone else does.

I have made it work for me and I can see how it's interesting, but honestly, if I like someone's blog enough to save several recipes/ideas, then I will probably just add them to my RSS feed or my favorites bar and scroll through it as I browse the web. The biggest benefit I've seen is that I can save a specific page somewhere instead of having to remember which blog/site it came from.