I just can't do my lesson plans!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 7, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

I went into school yesterday, and stared at my computer screen for 4 hours. I'm going to go in today, as well.

I'm using Lucy Calkins for writing for the first time, and I'm trying Math Daily 3 this year. I know what both of these programs will look like once they're up and running, but this launching process is just giving me a headache. I'm having such a difficult time getting started.

I hate planning at the beginning of the year, when you aren't into your regular routines yet! Does anyone else struggle with this? I'm hoping that if I figure it out this year, I can just pretty much copy my launching schedule next year.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2014

I totally understand. For the last few weeks I've been wishing that someone could just do the first few weeks for me :lol:

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

Yes, it us hard getting back into the routine of things and starting a new routine for lesson plans with a new program or have new standards/pacing. What are you stuck on with writing?

5. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

Are you using writing workshop? If so, the first several lessons are more procedural which can help.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

With Math Daily 3, I'm finding that it's a lot of work to find both independent and partner games for Math by Myself and Math with Someone. In getting to know my class this past week, I learned that many of them hate math, so I'm trying to find really fun and engaging activities. I have tons of resources, but the tough part is matching games up the weekly lessons in Math Expressions. I'm finding some good stuff, but I just feel that I don't have the patience!

With writing, it's our first year using Units of Study. Because of this, I have to teach a narrative mini-unit prior to teaching the main narrative unit. It's all so new to me, and we didn't receive any training, so it's taking quite a bit of time.

I'll get there, but it's just really tough to find the motivation after being so lazy this summer!

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

They're almost done for this week (finally!).

For anyone that has used Units of Study before, when you give the on-demand writing prompt/assessment at the beginning of the year, how long does it usually take? I know you're supposed to give the kids 45 minutes, but I can't imagine my 2nd graders would take that much time. I'm trying to decide if I should plan a short writing lesson after they're finished, since I do have a full hour set aside for writer's workshop time. Or will they be burnt out already?

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 7, 2014

That sure is a lot of writing for 2nd graders. I would shorten up that 45 minutes to 15 minutes! I only did Units of Study rather informally and adapted it to the needs of my classes. I don't know if you have that kind of freedom. Does the writer's workshop include a mini-lesson? I think adding something active or some concrete objects to the lesson helps with the younger kids. I liked taking my kids on a silent writer's walk and having them observe, then come in and write about what they observed and what it made them think about. And my kids were so enthusiastic about sharing - they loved sitting in the special chair kept just for that purpose.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2014

I'm high school and really struggled last week. I felt like I was limping along and behind schedule (after 2 days?!) and didn't have proper plans. I do keep the first week very loose and just do stuff like current events discussion, a puzzle lab, etc but I felt very "off."

I have my first month all planned out now and am feeling better. Luckily, my first unit is going to be identical to last year in most respects. The other subject teacher and I worked hard to revamp this unit last year and came up some very successful lessons so there is no reason to change much.

10. chitown

chitown Companion

Sep 7, 2014

I am having trouble writing my lessons plans, but I'm new and nervous! I'm glad that even experienced teachers need some time to get into a groove with it.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2014

I'm usually really into my planning at the beginning of the year and I'm feeling so blah about it this year so far. I think part of it is because after having looped I realized I read all of my favorite read alouds last year and I'm scrounging around to find good books to go with the lessons I want to teach. I'm so so happy to be with the same kids, I just can't wait to get past our first "reading response" unit where I need a million good picture books.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2014

I feel your pain...I really feel your pain. The beginning of the year hurts. A lot! I dread it every year. I just want kids to be in their routine. I´ve gotten through a small percentage of my plans, but not for lack of trying...Having to practice walking to the carpet and sitting several times before actually getting to start takes quite a chunk of our academic time..