I hope this isn't the norm...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Luke8Ball, Aug 12, 2012.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

I give parents my work email address and the office phone number. I encourage them to keep in touch via email and I always respond within 24 hours. If they leave me a message with the front office, I return their phone call after school's out.

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2012

I don't talk a lot on my cell phone and it doesn't accept texts, so I would say I have too few minutes to share my number. My email and school phone is sufficient.

I had an ugly parent phone call at home once and I am still angry about it. It was a teacher's spouse who got my home number from the teacher directory. Note, I never gave my school permission to publish my home number to everyone in the entire district. Not happy!

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 12, 2012

So basically I'm not a surgeon. I'm not on call 24/7, although I do generally answer emails within 12 hours, at most 24.

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

I do not give out my private information. I have a smartphone so if someone needs to contact me on field trips, they can email and I receive it immediately. I've never had an emergent issue where I needed to call a parent. If I did however, my school is so small I would call from a chaperone's phone, since all the parents have each others numbers.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

If parents need to call me they can call me at school. Rarely does this even happen where I work. I gave out an email last year, but it was never used. Most parents communicate through notes.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 13, 2012

I give out the school phone number and my school email address. All of that is common knowledge as it is on the district website. I would never give out my cell phone, home phone or home email address.

7. msufan

msufan Comrade

Aug 13, 2012

I don't own a cell phone. See -- EZ game!! :D

8. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

We have telephones in our classrooms with a different number for each room. In addition, we each have an ,email address. That's all that parents need IMO. There are times when we go on field trips that I give parents my number "just in case"... but, I TRUST those parents not to abuse it. Needless to say, I choose my chaperones carefully!!

9. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 13, 2012

The best solution is to sign up for a gmail account with Google Voice. You will receive a phone number which can be set to forward to any other device or to go directly to voice mail. Google will then transcribe the voice mail and send it to your email. There should never be any other reason to give out your personal home or cell number and no excuse for a student or parent not to be able to contact you.

10. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Aug 14, 2012

When I had no phone in my classroom and the school was not helping me, I got a Google Voice account for the area where I taught. Parents could call me or leave messages to confirm special ed. meetings or other things related to special ed. and no one knew my actual cell phone number. It worked fine!

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

I only give out my school email and classroom phone number.