I hope this isn't the norm...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Luke8Ball, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Luke8Ball

Luke8Ball Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

In the "USA Weekend" handout in today's newspaper, there were several tips for parents for the upcoming school year.

Among the list included the following quote: "...Do yourself, your child and your child's teachers a favor and get each teacher's cellphone number and email address."

Do any of you give out personal contact information? I'll be student-teaching this upcoming semester, and I was planning on giving the school's phone number and my email address...

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

I do not give my personal contact information. I teach in a small community and want to keep my life and work separate. I give the school's phone number and my school e-mail address.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

No parent gets my cell phone number. They know my email through the school, but not my personal email address.

5. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 12, 2012

A parent having my cell number would NOT be doing me a favor!

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

Everyone at my school has a work email. They also get the office's phone number.

When we go on a field trip, my cell phone number is on the name tags. I've had a couple of parents get it that way. Most parents don't abuse it. The only time I use my cell phone at work is on field trips. It's also the only time I answer numbers that I don't recognize.

One year I had a child with severe asthma. It was much easier to use my cell phone with that Mom. I could text her & ask if it was okay for her child to go outside. (Child had a dr. note that said she couldn't go out if it was below something. Sometimes, we'd let her go out if it was a little colder, but I always got permission first). Plus I could text Mom to let her know that her daughter was getting a breathing treatment.

So, for me it really depends. There has to be that relationship first. There are just some parents I don't want to have my number.

7. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 12, 2012

I give out my school email address. I do know a few teachers who give out their cell phone number, but I do not.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

Parents don't need your cell phone number, the only thing they really need is your school email address.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 12, 2012

:agreed:

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 12, 2012

Every parent has my work email address and the school office phone number. In the past, we have been issued classroom phones, and that was great, when they worked (which they no longer do). If I need to contact a parent during class (someone is acting horrendously or I need to bring class motivation up by making a "good" call in front of them, or I have an asthmatic child, etc., I will use my personal cell phone. Last year, I had a couple of parents with whom I texted regarding behavioral issues. No one has abused the privilege so far.

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 12, 2012

I give my school email and the office number. I don't give out my personal number because I want to keep work and personal seperate.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

I give my school phone number and email address. My home phone number is in the phone book, but it has never been used (we're the only ones with our last name, so it's easy to find).

Twice in my career I have given out my personal phone numbers (home and cell). In both cases, students were in crisis and both were at risk of harming themselves. I was quite involved in some of the interventions that were being implemented and I gave my phone numbers to parents in case they needed to reach me over a weekend or school break.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2012

I don't give out my personal number, either.

I have called ONE parent from my cell phone. I knew it was a parent I could trust and she never called me on it. As a matter of fact, her daughter now has my number because she comes and helps me out in my classroom. I text her to see if she is available. (She is in HS now and I teach 5th. She has never ever texted me about anything else.)

14. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 12, 2012

I do give out my cell phone number, but I am surprised that this article is telling parents to ASK for the teacher's cell number.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

At my last school, my principal told us specifically not to ever give parents our cell phone number or call parents using our cell phones. I give parents my school email address and my school phone number with the extension to my room.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

I'm actually considering giving it out this year. I did it once when I first started teaching and had a nightmare parent who called at all hours for ridiculous things (6 am-Tyler's not going to bring a lunch today-I'm pretty sure I could have figured that out. ;)). I've also given out cell #'s on field trips and had parents then use it at will after that.

However, I'm trying to do better with connecting with parents this year, so I may distribute it-I haven't decided yet. I know a lot of teachers who do this and communicate mostly by text with parents on a daily basis.

17. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 12, 2012

I made the mistake of giving my cell number to my room parent one time. I regretted that mistake when she called me on a Sunday night with a homework question. I never ever did it again.

I have a smart phone and I get my work email on it. My students know that if they or their parents need to get a hold of me that I will answer them pretty quickly on a weekday.

18. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 12, 2012

There is a free service that lets you text parents but they can't text you back. It's for reminders and stuff.

19. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 12, 2012

I have never given out my personal contact information. I always check my school email, even when I'm home, so students/parents can get in touch with me that way if there is a question about something.

One time, I think it was my 2nd year teaching, I assigned a project that my freshmen needed to complete at home. The night before it was due, I got a call at home from the Assistant Superintendent of the school district. He said that a parent called Central Office and requested my home number because of an urgent matter regarding my class. He obviously didn't provide my number, but took a message and said he would relay it to me. When I called her back, the "urgent matter" was that their home computer crashed and she wanted to know if the daughter could turn in the project late! I could not believe that they would go that high up for a question that could easily have been answered in a note!! (We weren't using email in my district at that point.) :dizzy:

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

Thanks-I know about Remind 101-I want to give them a way to contact me though.

21. Luke8Ball

Luke8Ball Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

Thanks everyone! I was wondering why the writer included this. Clearly, they are no authority in education.

22. MsG

MsG Companion

Aug 12, 2012

I taught at a private school once that required us to give our our home numbers. :eek: I got some ridiculous phone calls.

I'd never do it now. I'm also at a small community school and would have parents call me at all hours. They can email me. I'll get back to them when I can.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2012

I got a phone call at home from a parent at eleven at night. What was worse is that she had called everyone in the phone book with my last name.

24. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

If parents need me, they can email me at my school address or leave a message with the secretary. Personally, I almost find it offensive that the writer of the article believes parents have a right to that information!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

I give out my school email, and try to check it twice a day. They have the office number.

My personal number is unlisted, and my cell phone is practically never on.

26. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 12, 2012

I'd set up a burner for the day. (A prepaid phone you can ditch when the trip is over). Buy the phone for $10 and turn it on. Tracfone gives you 20 minutes to start with if you activate online. You could buy one for each teacher and factor the expense into the overall trip cost for students. Obviously the phones would only be for emergencies so 20 minutes should be fine.

27. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 12, 2012

You could always give them a google voice number and only accept calls during certain hours that you can set online. If they call later it would not get through.

28. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

Parents get my email and class phone number. What's nice about our phones is we have caller ID and the phones have a different ring tone for outside calls. I very rarely answer outside calls during the day.

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

I give out my school email address. Parents can try to call the school during the day, but it won't ring to my room during instructional hours.

I have given out my cell number to students and parents involved in the club activity that I sponsor. So far most people have handled that information appropriately. One time, though, I did get a phone call from a student while I was on vacation. I had taken the day off and the student didn't like the sub. He called to tell me that. My response: :|

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

When I coached Forensics, before there were cell phones, the kids on my team always had my home number. In the event that someone got sick the day of a tournament, I needed to know they wouldn't be on the bus.

In all those 18 years, I never had a single call that wasn't what it was supposed to be. Not one student, not one parent, ever called to ask about anything but Forensics, even though I did teach a number of them.

But my sister once worked with the mom of one of my students. She got a cell phone call-- in the Bahamas, I think-- requesting info on a project. I asked her to tell her friend she couldn't reach me.

31. Luke8Ball

Luke8Ball Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

Ouch! :eek:

32. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

My students have my cell phone number, and it's not really been a problem. It's fairly common practice at our school, but realize that most of our students are at least 17, and some are nearing 20. I've never had a student abuse it. I *did* have a student call me once while she was... intoxicated... and on the verge of alcohol poisoning/overdose. Fortunately, we were able to figure out where she was, call her mom and get an ambulance to her. :( It was scary, and I don't know why she called me, but I'm glad she did.

33. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

Nope. Made the mistake of calling a parent from my cell phone once. She called me for the rest of the year with questions.

Now parents get my school email and the school phone number plus my extension. If a parent asked for my personal phone number, I would politely decline to give it out.

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 12, 2012

I give parents my home number (I still have a house phone), but not my cell. I'm in the phone book, so it's not really a secret.

35. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

I haven't given mine out, but have had special cases where a parent had it - field trips or in one case the parent had a long distance number and I couldn't call from the classroom (yes I could have called from the office, but it wasn't always possible). No one abused it too much, one parent would call my cell during class, but I always ignored it and returned it during conference/after school.

36. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 12, 2012

So, how do you get out of giving parent your cell number if they ask without seeming like you're rude or don't want to collaborate with them? I can't say it's a school policy, because it isn't, and some people do give theirs out.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

"You know, my cell phone is off all day because I'm in class. Let me give you my email address at school. That way I can get back to you when I'm free."

38. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

I would NEVER give out my cell number. Of course they can email me anytime and I do give out my school email address.

I found this app called Remind 101 where you set up an account give the students, parents whoever the number and they text a code in to it and you can send texts to whole groups. Like "don't forget, test tomorrow, study hard tonight". I plan to use that where I can text them through a site. I'm not 100% sure if they can text me back through it but I think they can. But they have no way of getting my personal number. It's really a cool and idea. Also good way to keep the parents posted so they,too, will know we have a test tomorrow and they can ensure their child studies or completes that project etc.

39. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

A few have it -

a couple of families that were going through illness/death
    any family that I tutor or have tutored
    room parents and regular volunteers

and then of course it leaks out to a few others

No one has ever abused it. I don't have a local number, so I figure if anyone ever does, it will magically be time to change my number to a local one!

I have been woken up once or twice by a parent texting a question, but both times were maybe 9, 9:30 - I just go to bed really early!

It is handy for me to text with my really needy IEP kids - I had a kid having a complete meltdown once, texted mom, she said he'd had a rough/sleepless night, and she came to check him out. The whole thing was over in maybe 15 minutes - so nice and easy!

40. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 12, 2012

I've had parents ask me for my cell phone number on field trips. I've politely declined.

It may be for the same reason I don't have my physician's cell phone number or my mayor's cell phone number.

There are certain professional avenues that one can take to reach the person.

I do like the idea of "burner" cell phones for field trips, however.

41. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

There are lots of free apps that will give you a dummy phone number to give out. It connects to your regular phone and expires after a set amount of time (usually a week or two).