I hope this does not totally "out" me, but if it does, oh, well.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, May 23, 2020 at 6:08 PM.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 23, 2020 at 6:08 PM

I spent most of yesterday at the doctor's ( PA ) office. She offered to refer me to the hospital, but I was so tired by the time she offered that I just wanted to go home and sleep. ( I'd been waiting to get in for many hours and had woken up early.) Plus, I didn't want to be around hospital germs.
    The day before, I had to go back to school 1 day to wrap things up. When I got home, I popped into the tub and felt burning. My 1st thought was : I somehow scraped a section of my skin, so I washed it, put a bit of peroxide on it, put antibiotic ointment on it, and went to get my glasses to see it better.
    That is when I noticed that I had blisters ( tiny ones) all over my arm. I found images that looked just like it on WebMD. It looked a lot like Shingles and was pretty sure that was what it was. I bandaged them up to sleep and planned on getting an antivirul drug for it from the PA the next day.
    The thing is she said, yes, it looked like Shingles, but wasn't. The blisters were not in 1 quadrant like they usually are with Shingles. She told me if we lived down south, it was a classic case of poison ivy or poison oak. There is no way on this Earth I could have been exposed to either.
    She told me I had been exposed to something and the way the blisters were arranged it looked like I had been picking up a box. ( Something I had done at school.) She asked me if I knew what they had used to disinfect the school, but by that time, everyone was gone. Tired, I left because she really didn't know what caused it.
    Then I got home and a friend I'd told about it called. In the conversation, she told me about kids who were getting odd rashes. I looked it up and the pictures varied, but 1 looked just like mine. It took me a few extra minutes to fall asleep even though I was tired. The article of the pictures said that these rashes are showing up on asymptomatic Covid patients and before or after onset. Has anyone heard of this or seen it? If you believe in prayer, please pray for me because I am clueless what it is and hope it will go away.

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 23, 2020 at 6:31 PM

Dear Tired Teacher,
    I'm sorry you are going through this. It must be very frightening to not know exactly what is going on and to imagine the worst.

I just wanted to tell you that I actually had the covid-19 virus early in April. I won't lie, it was bad for a while. But I did recover and now I'm fine. I just wanted to remind you that more people recover than die, and some people get the rashes or other things, and never actually get the full-blow virus.

I'm praying for you.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 23, 2020 at 6:50 PM

I remember when you had it along w/ Vickilyn and wondered if you had gotten rashes. I have spent the last hour looking at rashes and their causes. It is too much and I am not looking anymore. I am really hoping I was just exposed to something at work because it is odd to me how it would only be on 1 arm...that was why I 1st thought Shingles. Let's just hope the dr was right about her guess. I asked her what % she was sure and she said 65%. Thanks for the reassurance and prayers! <3

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 7:01 PM
  6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 23, 2020 at 8:45 PM

From what I've heard, I'm pretty sure the COVID associated syndrome you're talking about is only found in children. At least that's what they've been saying on our news. I wouldn't worry too much about that, but if you're concerned, why not ask for a test?

7. stargirl

stargirl Companion

May 23, 2020 at 10:32 PM

Hope you are ok!
    Can you get to a covid testing site?

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 23, 2020 at 11:29 PM

If it is COVID, it is a sign of an over active immune system, from what I have heard. Getting an antibody test will help rule in or rule out any COVID causality. I did get the COVID toes, but not any other skin rash. I was just reading today that this virus can cause a multitude of symptoms, and some in adults, not just children, although what I saw was specifically talking about younger adults. Just from the kinds of symptoms that people were suffering with when in the ICUs, we know it affects multiple organs, not just the lungs. Your skin is, after all, the largest organ of the body.

If you are able to get an antibody test, please make sure that it is a test approved by the FDA, because there are some tests out there that aren't reliable enough to give you the right answer, and you don't need that. Let me wish you the best. If many of the kids were getting the rash, I would be highly suspicious that the boxes were in contact with a caustic agent, probably used to disinfect, but just because that seems highly likely doesn't mean you can completely say it is true until you rule out something like COVID.

Backroads likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Maven

May 24, 2020 at 6:03 AM

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 12:41 PM

Yes, that is what my friend told me, but then I saw the article. The article talks about patients, not specifying children. I reread it, and 1 of the types of rashes seems to go away in 24 hours. I don't have that type. I am going back to the PA on Tuesday. There are usually 2 of them, but the guy was gone that day.
    They are closed until then. I am not sure where you would go for a test, but can call the hospital. I held off on it because a coworker had been really sick for over a month. The PA wouldn't see her, but gave her a number to call, I am assuming it had to do w/ the hospital. ( I have not been around her) and they told her if you are not in a high risk group ( she is 40 and normally OK) to stay home and ride it out.
    I think they did not have enough tests or resources to deal with it. I have been trying to keep my mind occupied to ignore it like an ostrich with my head in the sand. It itches like chicken pox, but calamine lotion is drying parts of it out and cuts the itch pretty well.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 1:07 PM
  12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 12:47 PM

Thank you, Stargirl.. I came to the conclusion today that I need to get tested if possible because if it is an onset symptom, I can't expose my family to it. I had to cancel plans for the weekend, but I am not taking a chance. Plus, I think the infection is making me tired anyway. The maddening part to me, is I have been sooooooo careful. Having to go to work 1 day and coming home with blisters like this just really upset me.

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 1:02 PM

Thank you, Vickilyn. Is the antibody test different than testing to see if you have it? How do you know if it is the right test? I normally am in contact w/ a super high risk relative, but he has been staying at home for months now except for a few trips out and he stays away from others from what he says except family who is also staying home. I can't go there until I am sure I am OK cus I'd hate to expose him to anything.
    Having an over active immune system could be a good thing, huh? :) Please just say, "Yes!" lol I know having this rash is not because it says everywhere it is often a symptom of a more serious problem. Fortunately, no kids were there. I have not looked at the link you posted yet, but am going to in a second.
    I could not get into the link you sent w/out using my spam account. I don't have it handy, but will see if I can find the title online.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 1:17 PM
  14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 1:15 PM

Yes, that is good. I know none of them say it, but the article tells about the different types that have shown up. Those are the types. I need to just get it over with , I think, and call the hospital to see what they say.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020 at 1:52 PM

Yes, it is different. No swabs, just some blood, and not too much of that, either. Simply ask to see the FDA approval. As to overactive immune system, the jury is out, so, no answer.

I don't recall rash being an entry symptom to the disease, and I know a fair amount about that, but, hey, I could have missed something. From what I have learned, the rashes tend to show up after the disease, such as Covid toes, unexpected strokes, the rashes and Kawasaki-like disease in children.

As far as the difference between the two tests, doctors would probably want both for you, since you don't have a history of the disease, which doesn't always mean much, since so many are asymptomatic. The antibody test shows if you have developed antibodies, indication that you did have some form of the disease and fought it off. I'm in NJ, and we can now get both tests with a doctor's prescription/order. There is no walk up and request without that.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 2:05 PM
  16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 2:06 PM

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM

Started out red, then turned into more bruising, but actually, a lot of bruising follows that pattern. Toes, one spot on the bottom of the foot, and both heels were involved. When I see pictures of the children with rashes, the placement is different, but that red that starts it looks very familiar. I would freak out if I had a child with the rashes I have seen pictured. The bruising on the feet can almost be missed initially, until it becomes more obvious. Let me say no blisters on my skin, and no rash other than the bruising on my feet. As I understand it, the toes thing is a result of micro clots - COVID damages the blood vessels, creating clots, which also explains the strokes and heart attacks seen in younger adults without the normal risk factors.

When they talk about testing positive in the link, I think they are talking about people who have had the disease, and these skin symptoms are the only outward symptoms that they show. Many people who have a full blown case of COVID, with respiratory symptoms, also get these rashes, but not as an initial symptom, but as an aftermath. When they talk about testing for the disease, my guess is that they both swab and draw blood, testing for current disease and past disease. By the time my feet symptoms were obvious, I am sure that I would not have tested positive by swab, but antibodies would have been present indicating I had the disease prior to the "rash" on my feet. You have to realize one thing - when I had my run-in with COVID, tests were not plentiful, even in NJ, they were only available if you met certain requirements - fever over 102.5, traveling out of the US, contact with a known COVID patient. Not easy to meet all the requirements. Only in the last month has it been as easy as the doctor can order the test - period. We only made it to that point when NJ became the state with the second highest infection and death rate in the US. You don't want to be able to get a test because of that reason. Getting an antibody test is easier because they are less "I need to know NOW". They either confirm what you already know, or add another piece to solving the puzzle when dealing with the odd after-effects of the disease. An odd rash would fall into that category, but they might want to rule out active disease by doing both tests.

Hope that helps. Oh, and avoid that test that the president is using if they are testing for current disease - very high rate of false negatives. A positive is positive, but a negative has a 50/50 chance of being right. Go figure!

18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 3:47 PM

Thanks, Vickilyn! I read about the Covid toes after you mentioned it. I was probably 1 of the least informed people other than I knew to stay away from anyone who is going into public w/out a mask and gloves. Oh, and to wash hands and use sanitizer if I touched anything outside my house, or my family...as they have been overly cautious too.....I poured sanitizer on after I took gloves off. I don't have TV reception that is very good and nothing like CNN. Plus, I was so busy working, I didn't take time to read much. I was shocked when I 1st went into a ransacked store.
    I definitely do not want the 1 that the president described because I did hear his description of it and it sounded extremely unpleasant.
    Also, you are right. I do not want to have a test that can say I am good and then pass it to anyone and someone elderly especially.
    I just got a call that says I need to come pick up a prescription ...I did not even know, but she prescribed me steriods. I am faraway, but my bro will pick it up for me, drive it out, and drop it on my porch.
    I am so glad you got better. How long did it take? Are you 100% better now?
    Also, I'll ask for both tests. I am just not sure if they have enough tests because of the way they told my coworker to ride it out since she was not in a high risk group.

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020 at 4:00 PM

:rofl: Thanks for that visual - I haven't had a good belly laugh in quite a while!

20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 4:13 PM

1x I poured so much on in the car after removing gloves that it poured on my pants too....making a mess! ;)

vickilyn likes this.
  21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM

To answer your questions, yes, I am, I think, well. All told, I would say it was about 4-5 weeks before I even thought about leaving the house. Two weeks I don't remember at all, the next week is marred with weird dreams, so not much sleep. The following week or two I was weak, no desire for food, not too surprising since I really hadn't eaten much of anything during the three weeks before. I think that at the end of week 5, when I definitely shouldn't have been contagious, I went to the grocery store with N95 mask (hubby is a vet), and about half way through the store I would have to just stop and stand with support. It seemed to take forever to make that trip. Two weeks later, I could get through the trip without any true discomfort.

I was tested - hubby had a doctor client who was able to pull some strings, and they sent a public health nurse to the house, since I was really weak and not even walking around my house. I was positive, which was no surprise by the time the results came back. My husband did, for the most part, stay in a separate room, but close enough to hear my cough and breathing. My breathing was labored, but not to the point that I was ever gasping for breath. Loss of sense of smell, which caused loss of appetite, lack of awareness of where I was, at times, time of day, etc. was disorienting and I can only imagine how much worse that would have seemed to someone in a hospital. I have no idea how hubby fared during the time, but he had showed symptoms first, but seemed to throw it off by the time I was getting sick. He probably brought it home, but, while not asymptomatic, he did seem to throw off the infection without all of the horrible symptoms he could have developed.

I consider myself very lucky, and as I always try to see the silver linings to things, I think of all of those little antibodies circulation in my body and smile. You see, I have been "vaccinated" through trial by fire. Best wishes to you and hope that this is some random rash that has a more garden variety cause. Be well.

22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 4:35 PM

Now it appears the largest organ on the body can also be affected: the skin.

RELATED: Skin rashes emerge as possible symptom of coronavirus, dermatologists say

The American Academy of Dermatology has issued guidance regarding several different types of rashes that have been connected with COVID-19.

The symptoms range from hives, to conditions that look like measles, chicken pox and frostbite.

"A lot of the information that we're getting is from reports from other countries, but now we are starting to see those manifestations here in the US as well," Choi said.

Choi is an associate professor of dermatology at Northwestern medicine says about 20% of COID-19 patients in Italy reported rashes, some presenting with frostbite-like blisters on their feet, called "COVID toe."

"They're primarily in young adults, adolescents and children who are otherwise asymptomatic, so these patients may have no other symptoms like fever or cough," Choi said.

Choi emphasizes the rashes themselves are not contagious, they are simply reflecting inflammation in the body and will heal in a few days.

Medical experts say this potentially new symptom underscores the need for more testing to find out who has been effected and who is possibly developing antibodies to COVID-19.

**** I am hoping to be 1 of these if that is what it is:
    "They're primarily in young adults, adolescents and children who are otherwise asymptomatic, so these patients may have no other symptoms like fever or cough," Choi said. *** The young part doesn't fit though.

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020 at 4:46 PM

Young at heart??? That would work for me.

24. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 4:48 PM

Wow! Thanks so much. Thank goodness you pulled through! That is what I have been reading.....the time length and disorientation ( people not remembering a week or 2) of the illness. That was my coworker's experience too.
    Thank goodness your husband had a "hook up" and you knew what you were dealing with at least. So your husband did not have many symptoms? Being a vet, I wonder if he could have been exposed by a dog. I think they are saying that doesn't happen now, but I have had contact w/ a dog.

25. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 4:48 PM

Or just an immature brat! lol :) I am a kid at heart though too!

26. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020 at 5:17 PM

I think that hubby brought it home - around a lot of people. I don't think that an animal was involved, though. I think, gratefully, that his body conquered the virus, whereas my body just gave into it. Just the way it works sometimes!

27. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 5:57 PM

Tell hubby he better be good to you after that! Joking! Yeah, it was very fortunate that he was able to be well enough to look after you!

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 24, 2020 at 8:53 PM

This may sounds weird, and what isn't these days, but how are your sense of taste and smell? Loss of those are also weird side symptoms.

29. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

May 24, 2020 at 9:09 PM

I think I still have them both which is a good thing....Not weird at all! Thanks!

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020 at 10:13 PM

They were actually the first symptoms for me, quickly followed by fever, extreme head aches/migraines, and body pains. Whatever came next I'm somewhat unsure of - the cough and labored breathing must have been in there somewhere, because although I don't remember much, I remember hubby asking if I was short of breath after every cough. The COVID toes came very late, maybe 4-5 weeks from onset.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 25, 2020 at 10:21 AM

I hope it all clears up soon! How scary!!

32. a2z

a2z Maven

May 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM

Is your rash any better today? Are you feeling any better?