I hope they don't....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Jul 7, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

stop giving masters pay to people with masters or people going to get their masters. I know budgets are all messed up but they can't do that can they?

I am pretty sure all of my grad school issues will be worked out and I can go in the fall. Hopefully. I can't tell you how bad I need thee extra money from it.

I am having money issues. I have no kids and no husband who can help me with his income. I NEVER have money at the end of the month. EVER. If I didn't have my student loans I would be somewhat fine. I just got paid and I am broke. I have no idea how I am going to get gas, get food or anything. My bills are about to bounce because they have not come out of my account yet.

I'm just screwed in every way. I am thankful I have a job and I have a working car. I do have some food in my fridge. I have NO gas and I have to get back and forth to various places.

Will it ever get better?

It seems like lately I have been so down and out and a lot of my posts have been like this. I know that many people have it far worse. I know this.

I just needed someone to vent too. Thanks for reading guys. I know you all will be supportive and help me to see the positives.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

I've realized the powers that be can do just about anything...

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

Sorry...I responded before even finishing your post. Will it get better? Of course I can't say with certainty, but I feel strongly things will in fact get better. I'm sorry you've been so overwhelmed lately, but the hectic nature of your life now will surely soon subside.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

In a private school, you typically don't get additional money for having a masters degree or any other type of additional certifications.

I think in a public school it would depend upon what the current contract says. If it's in the contract, I would think it would be very very very difficult to change.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

I just finished my Master's in May and I won't get paid for it. It's in Administration. If I stay where I am-there is a pay freeze and cut. So I would get paid $6,000 less than I should with my Master's. If I get a job in Hawaii, they don't acknowledge Master's degrees in Administration.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

OK, deep breaths.

It seems to me as though you need to do 2 things: make more and spend less.

It's summer, and you're unencumbered by spouse and kids. Can you get a job for 2 months? Wait tables, work in Target-- anything?

Start documenting where you spend every penny. I bet there are some things you could cut without taking too much of a hit to your comfort zone.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

okay...wait...so....

if there is a pay freeze in your county(there is in mine but we get our steps) and you get a masters you won't get paid for it until the pay freeze is up? what if the freeze is never lifted. With the way things are going I wonder if that will ever happen.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

Yeah. I finished my Master's at an unlucky time. Once the freeze is up, I would get paid for it. (If I had already finished and been paid for it, there would be no problem.) However, if I wanted, I could go to a new district and they would have to start me at the Master's pay.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2010

My goodness, I feel for you! I have a Masters too & I hope the budget never gets that bad where they stop paying more. I don't have a husband or kids either.

Find whatever job you can & I mean even if it's a fast food place, do it. I would if that's what it came down to.
    Shop at the the dollar stores for as much as you can for a while.

Good luck & I hope things get better for you!