I hope these middle schoolers don't have any hand-eye coordination!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Sep 28, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 28, 2012

So we got an email saying the school was doing a dunk tank fundraiser with our principal. At the bottom it asked for people to give up half their preps to "assist." I signed up since I love things like this. I was all excited to "chaperone" some middle schoolers....and then I found out I apparently signed up to be *IN* the dunk tank. :haha:

And this, kids, is why reading comprehension is so important!

Please pray it's not cold next week! :eek: :blush: When they announced my name on the PA my kids went totally wild. Hopefully I raise a lot of money! :woot:

3. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Sep 28, 2012

That's funny! I don't think I would have the guts to volunteer for something like that, but I guess if I accidentally did, I would go for it. Let us know how it goes and how much money you raised!

4. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 28, 2012

You'll be fine. They're only good at throwing things and at....oh...I...

Ahh.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

Have fun. I wouldn't be giving up prep time to be dunked in a tank...Are you expected to 'dress for the occasion'?

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 28, 2012

Ha! I'm gonna do swim shorts and a tankini top with a black t-shirt. I'm not exactly a swim model! :rolleyes:

And I'm not terribly worried about the prep. I can give up one for a good cause. :) My principal will surely get more dunks though! He's had 15 years to make enemies and I've only had 3 weeks. :p

7. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Sep 28, 2012

Fun! Last year I gave up my lunch time to be hit in the face with a pie by about 10 of my students who raised the most money for our school fundraiser. It was hilarious! I brought a change of clothes and spent about 20 minutes washing whipped cream out of my hair in the bathroom :)

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2012

I did it a few years ago. It was a lot of fun! Unusually chilly, so I borrowed a wetsuit from a friend and showered in the locker room afterwards. Watch out for the baseball and softball players - they will want to show off their prowess!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2012

Have fun with it! It will definitely be something your students will always remember.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2012

Nothing can top my dunk tank experience this year.

First, I fell into the tank as I was getting in, prompting comments like "It's a dunk tank, not a drunk tank!"

Next, I looked and there was a line of my former students all waiting for a turn to dunk me.

Then, one of my own first graders managed to put me the water twice.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 29, 2012

Show no fear and have no regrets. Most of all, have fun!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2012

I've done it once. It wasn't bad. (Except the water was brown. Eew!) My kids only managed to dunk me twice.

13. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

I've done it, three years in a row. It was a fundraiser at my former high school. All participating teachers were put on levels on a list. Once the school reached a particular level for funds raised, the teachers at that level were added to list being dunked. Then, the day of, students could buy 3 balls for $1 to try and dunk the teacher.

The last year I was at that school, I told my kids that I wasn't worried, because I doubted they would raise enough to reach my level. Well, that motivated them to raise as much as they could. When my level was reached, I told them I still wasn't scared because they would still have to hit the target and that I'd seen them in PE. I told them that I was so not scared that I wasn't even bringing a change of clothes that day.

The day of the dunk, I wore a pair of gym shorts and a black t-shirt. I had bought bright pink duct tape and used the tape to write "Still Not Scared" on my shirt.

Then ended up dunking me (as I knew they would) and I kept my word. I taught all afternoon in wet clothes. The kids loved it.

I think that, of all the fundraisers I'd ever been a part of, the dunk tank was seriously the best one. Teachers really got into it, dressing in costumes (one year there was a shark, another year, the VP wore a prom dress). The kids loved it and the feeling of camaraderie and school spirit were amazing.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 29, 2012

That's really what it's all about. Have fun!

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2012

Have fun!

A few years ago we had one at our field day, and the principal was supposed to be the one getting dunked. He had to leave to take care of a sick child, so we were scrambling for a replacement. Luckily two other teachers lived nearby and were able to run home during lunch and grab a change of clothes. We were all pretty glad they stepped up! I'd feel better about doing it as part of some sort of fundraiser, though. :)

16. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 30, 2012

Haha, great story. I hope it is not cold for you either. Have fun.

17. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Sep 30, 2012

We always do ours at the end of May as part of Field Day or Reward Day. By May, the temperatures have already reached 90+.

I have always volunteered - it's fun for the kids, but better yet, after being dunked I'm nice and wet and cool for the rest of the hot afternoon! :cool: