I hope it still counts in a few years

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bigv, Oct 17, 2018.

1. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 17, 2018

I live in the northern Central Valley. I aspire for the moment to teach 6th grade. I know some middle schools include 6th grade. How likely is 6th grade will still be included in a majority of elementary schools 2-3 years from now? It’s just that by then I will have a multiple subjects credential and can only teach elementary at the moment.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 17, 2018

That's a hard question to answer, though @YoungTeacherGuy might have some insights. You might also want to check in with the local county office of education.

Where sixth grade is in middle school in my area (a different part of California), it's treated differently from seventh and eighth grades, with fewer teachers teaching more subjects. If a specific middle school chooses to have sixth graders taught in a self-contained classroom, your multiple subjects credential will still be fine.

With all that said, it's not that difficult to add a single subject authorization: to add English, for example, you'd need to pass CSET English, take the appropriate subject-matter pedagogy course, and pay a fee. If you're in or headed for a credential program, ask about this relatively early in the process: if your college of ed offers that pedagogy course, chances are good that you can take it during your program.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 17, 2018

We have a handful of small K-8 schools in the state, but the rest of us have had 6th grade with middle school for a long time. Our district added 6th to middle school 20 years ago, and before that we had a 5th/6th intermediate elementary for a good 10 years.

Nobody in our building teaches more than one grade or subject. I’m secondary certified, so I can only teach one subject, and I can’t teach below 7th grade.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 17, 2018

I don't know how it works in all parts of the Central Valley, but here in my area--all schools are K-6 and 7-8.