I hope I snap out of it soon

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by luv2teach444, Aug 19, 2015.

1. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 19, 2015

this crying every time someone asks me if I got a job is getting embarrassing.

I held it together while I met my daughter's teacher, but promptly lost in the hall a few mins later when someone asked me if I was teaching.

My daughter's teacher is a 23yo 1st yr teacher. Seems to be as nice as could be. She has my theme that I picked out too.

I applied for a local hotel job today. :(

3. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 19, 2015

I'm the same boat as you. The jobs for school counseling are getting slimmer and slimmer now that the school year has either begun or is about to start. I cried a bit before I read your post. The one prospect I have is also starting not look like a prospect anymore. I'm looking now into attending classes for real estate appraising...

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 19, 2015

Just know that there are many of us that are the same as you. It gets a little embarrassing, I know exactly what you mean. I just simply say that I'm taking a break right now (even though I am still looking and applying for postings everyday! Thankfully I do have a decent part time job right now, so I'm not just sitting at home. I would say still apply and practice and make a killer portfolio in your spare time. You will get your teaching job eventually. Also I would advise to stay current in education some how, like substituting and at least doing the minimum amount of jobs required each school year.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2015

Giving up on a dream, any dream, is the death of one possibility, and there is a grieving process. That said, sometimes out of the ashes comes inspiration and an inner strength we didn't know we had. We re-imagine the dream, rework the possibilities, consider new ways to attack the problem. For some, they go back to school, others bury themselves in independent study, and others reexamine their rationale for the quest.

Give it some time, let some wounds heal, and then revisit with a clear mind. So many job seekers, so few jobs. Sadly, I feel you may be in the majority instead of the other way around. :hugs:

6. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 19, 2015

Reminds me of the song "The Winner Takes it All" Abba

It is nice to not be alone in this manner.

7. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 22, 2015

thanks for the support.

I was just talking to a friend yesterday & we were discussing that there are 6 of us all the same age range (that I know personally) who don't have a job. Some have taught a full year & let go & then some have been just long term subs.

8. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 22, 2015

the question is knowing when to give up the dream...

I subbed 1/2 day on Thurs @ a school where I wouldn't necessarily want to work in, been subbing there 4yrs, and I got in the car & cried the whole way hm & pretty much the rest of the day. It made me soooo incredibly depressed that I was giving up, applying somewhere else. AND every teacher hired is young. most straight out of school.

9. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 22, 2015

Instead of wallowing in self pity, reflect on what you can do to make yourself stand out more than other candidates. I'm sure it does sting when someone younger gets a position over you, but they must have had something more to offer. Don't give up- just as teachers reflect daily after lessons, a perspective teacher needs to reflect on what can be done to land the next job interview. Continue subbing if need be and network as much as possible. I think a lot of it is attitude and if you want to get a job, you might need to change your attitude towards finding a job and make it more positive.

10. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 22, 2015

she's got connections. Just like everyone else I know that's been hired lately. I can't fix that on my own.

I've had a great attitude the last 4 years subbing. This is the first year I'm totally sour grapes. I guess I've just come to the realization that the county won't hire anyone who's older.

11. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 23, 2015

you can create connections-

who are your letters of recommendation- principals and admin know each other in the area so having strong references will put you at an advantage

Go to pd, trainings, workshops which you can put on your resume-

volunteer, add exp to your resume which is unique and that will make you a top candidate-

12. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 23, 2015

I feel for you.
    One of the reasons I still come to this site is because I remember how horrible it was when I couldn't find a job. I had to move a few hours from my hometown(about 4) and it was a huge change from a pretty bustling city to a very rural area. In college I had this (false) assumption that when I graduated people would just give me a job. Kind of like school where you move from grade to grade. When I didn't get a job that first year out of college it was a huge wake up call. In a way I think it was a good thing although it still hurt.

Anyway the only thing that truly made me feel better was getting a job. When I got job hunt crazy, instead of crying I got angry and it really affected my relationships with those around me. Especially my fiance who was also hurt because we were supposed to get married and couldn't because I didn't have a high paying enough job.

My third year teaching just started, we are married for the last 2 years, and we have acclimated to our new area that we live. Keep looking, broaden your search, keeping editing your resume/cover letters. Go to mock interviews if you college has them.

I had to go back to working retail for a year(at a store that closed a few months after I started back) and it was basically a mini miracle that I got my teaching job the same week the store closed. Working retail was a huge embarrassment after I spent all that time and money going to college. However it really did humble me and made appreciate my job now even more. I hope you get something soon!

13. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 23, 2015

There are so many of us in your same situation!! But I do think most people understand how difficult it is to land a job in teaching these days. I try not to let it get me down.

I really appreciate people who say "keep applying". That keeps me going!! But there have been plenty who have questioned my decision and why don't I try something else. Not what I want to hear!!

You are not alone. Cry if it makes you feel better, but don't keep your eye off the prize!!

14. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 24, 2015

I really thought the PD would stand out for me - but I think there are so many candidates that my resume is never even looked at. So it's not that they have rejected me, it's they don't know I exist yet.

15. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 24, 2015

well today I got 2 phone calls. One from a principal @ a school for a Title 1 position of tutoring (what I did last year @ a K-6 school).I had to tell him I wasn't certified but pk-3, so didn't think I could do it...he is checking to find out. (I got this call because of the assistant was @ my school last year 1/2 yr)

My 2nd phone call was for a long term sub position for prek. I have to send in my transcript to prove I'm certified (no my diploma & the state website aren't good enough proof). Then I think I'll have the sub position.

It's not what I wanted, only 6 weeks & it's subbing as an aide, but I'm really hoping it will help me get my foot into this school...I have subbed there before but never even seen the principal before (k-3 school with 1200 students).

SOOO at the moment I'm at least feeling optimistic, but hating that I'll be losing a bunch of random sub jobs @ my 11 schools I sub...but I think I have to take it, for my sanity & my resume sake.