I heard something I shouldn't have....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Dec 13, 2014.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 13, 2014

First of all, I feel like the most random things happen to me. This situation happened a little over a week ago, and I've been wrestling with a decision since then not sure what to do.

So....here's what happened.

I heard the principal tell a teacher something she is now denying that she said. I specifically heard it with my own two ears, but neither party knows/remembers I heard. I was making copies, and they were talking behind me.

The teacher got in trouble for what she did, and actually had to meet with human resources. Of course I have heard this through the grapevine. What she did wasn't a big deal, but the parent is super crazy, and made it into a HUGE spectacle. Immediately, the principal threw this teacher under the bus. I do not want to share the exact thing that happened, as this is a public forum.

What should I do???????? I have such a guilty conscience. I actually didn't even sleep Thursday night.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2014

You heard what you heard, but it doesn't require you to do anything. Pretend you didn't hear it. Period. Do not share what you heard, and it essentially remains between the original two parties, as it should. You will have an easy conscience if the information becomes more widespread, since you know you are not the source. Sometimes that is the best you can hope for. In the past, this would have simply been known as good manners.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 13, 2014

I haven't told anyone except my husband, who probably wasn't listening anyway. :p

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 14, 2014

Don't say anything to anyone.

I just went through a situation where Teacher A over heard something and told teacher B that she was being talked about. Teacher B was naturally upset because what Teacher A had told her had been told to a select few in confidence and it had been asked not to have been shared. What Teacher A actually overheard was something about Teacher C, most of which was common knowledge. Unfortunately, Teacher A only heard part of a conversation and leaped to erroneous conclusions, shared those conclusions with Teacher B. It resulted in texts to our P, hurt feelings, emails and finally a heart to heart talk.

It's not worth it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2014

Stay out of it.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2014

I agree! It didn´t and doesn´t involve you and since nothing was directly said to you it´s best to stay out of it.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 14, 2014

It sounds like the teacher is getting into trouble because the principal is lying. I don't know the best way to handle that, but I really don't feel just completely staying out of it is best. I don't know what to recommend though.

9. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 14, 2014

You might have heard something that was true but were you privy to the entire situation, other conversations and closed door meetings? No. You might know something but it's not enough to make it your business.

If you really are bothered by this consider what would happen if you went to the principal to share what you heard. How would that change anything? You will have a clear conscience but antagonize the principal and probably not clear the teacher. You didn't hear it all. Just watch your p's and q's and don't be a target for that principal.

10. comaba

comaba Cohort

Dec 14, 2014

I agree.

If this was me, I would contact my union rep, but I don't remember if OP is in a union.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 14, 2014

I agree, stay out of it & if ever confronted, pretend you didn't hear it.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 14, 2014

It seems like drama finds you quite often. Just forget you heard it.

13. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2014

Are you close with the teacher?

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2014

If the teacher is getting into serious trouble and you witnessed something that would make it less serious, I am not sure that I would just let it go myself. I would at least contact the union rep or the upper level of the union if necessary and find out if what was heard can be used to solve the problem. If it is of no use then let it go if it is helpful then maybe let the rep know and they can take it and make use of it.

Unless you are the union rep I would not go directly to the principal, and even if you are the rep it would depend on what was heard. If the principal threw one person under the bus why not two.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2014

Irregardless of what you heard, that may only be part of the big picture. If you want to be involved in the drama, go to it. Otherwise, I would be grateful it was not my problem, and pay attention to my life, my situations, and my job. Invariably, there are aspects that only those truly involved know about. Coming forward, while showing good intentions, will almost always cause someone embarrassment, because they would prefer NOT to rehash everything in public.

I might mention it to my husband, who has no contact with school employees, but I would never acknowledge what I thought I heard at work. It is poor etiquette.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2014

In general, my advice is to stay out of it.

I might have different advice if I knew more about the situation.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2014

Kind of sad.

I don't really think the advice in this thread is wrong. The wisest course of action is to stay out of it, keep a safe distance, just put the possible injustice of this out of your mind.

I would at least offer a few words of support privately to the teacher. She could confirm more of the situation. But then, I don't always make the wisest decisions....

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2014

Reverse the situation...
    What if you were the teacher in trouble?

19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 21, 2014

EXACTLY!! This was not a multi-part conversation that I saw. Pretty much went like this:
    Teacher: Am I allowed to do XYZ?
    Principal: Yes.
    Result: Teacher does it, and gets in a lot of trouble because the parent is insane.

20. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 21, 2014

EXACTLY!! This was not a multi-part conversation that I saw. Pretty much went like this:
    Teacher: Am I allowed to do XYZ?
    Principal: Yes.
    Result: Teacher does it, and gets in a lot of trouble because the parent is insane, and the principal has NO BACKBONE!