I haven't been on much lately...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissFroggy, Jan 21, 2009.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 21, 2009

I had this huge realization this past week or two.

I had been basically obsessed w/ my job and a total workaholic. (I knew that before but I didn't care because I was "happy.") It took shifting to a grade I'm not completely passionate about to discover that my life can't be my job. I need to have a separate life OUTSIDE my job. For the first part of this year I was just unhappy in my job. Around Thanksgiving, things pulled together and my management was better and the kids progress was remarkable, so I started to feel better. Now things are smooth sailing- at least it seems so- and I realize I'm still not loving it, so something else has to change. I can't depend on my job for my happiness.

I should have discovered that earlier.

Anyway, I realize I don't need to go in to work at 7:30 and stay every day until 5. I am doing a good job w/ my students and I'm getting there at 8 and leaving at 4- sometimes 3:30. So that's been really helpful. I will say there are some things that have "slid through the cracks" but overall, things are just hoppin' along. I'm gong to spend my planning time more wisely and get more done while I'm actually at school.

I have also decided I need a much more fulfilling social life. I am trying to see my friends a lot more- and I am! I have a number of good friends and I have seen them all in fun, social settings and in relaxed ways (coming over) in the last couple weeks.

I also have gone on a crazy online dating spree and scheduled 9 dates in the last 3 weeks! A few canceled out, but the weekend was great and I saw someone Sunday and Monday and we texted a bunch yesterday. But I have a date tonight and another tomorrow- both teachers!

Also, I have taken my "training" much more seriously in the recent weeks. I'm either swimming or running every day. I swim M, W, F, Sa. and run T, Th, Su. and I am taking yoga on Sunday. I'm planing on doing both a 5k and a tri this summer. Maybe an open water swim too.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you all know why I'm not on as much!! I keep looking at the posts in the other rooms and feeling so blah about answering them...

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 21, 2009

Those dates sound like so much fun! Make sure you come back and let us know if any of those handsome teachers sweep you off your feet :)

I'm curious, where do you swim?

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2009

I'm glad to hear that you've been having so much fun lately! Good luck with your dates!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 21, 2009

Wow, talk about an "Aha" moment! Good for you!!

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2009

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your newfound life! :)

7. deazy86

deazy86 Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

I think happiness is got to come from both work and your social life. There has to be an equilibrium to both to be fully happy so glad to see you are finding things to do.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 22, 2009

I'm not in equilibrium yet... I am just not focusing on school very much!! Hopefully things will still be ok.

9. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 23, 2009

You go Girl! As teachers we have to take care of OURSELVES before we can expect to take care of our students, family and friends. It's all about balance -- body, mind and soul. Friends and having a social life sounds like you're fullfilling your soul's needs.

I'm trying to do the same.

Now...if only I could be brave like you and try some online dates because I've been hanging with some of my guy friends lately and I'm starting to like two of them "that way" which isn't good.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

Well thanks for updating us. It sounds like you have been one busy gal! And yes, you need a social life! Leave school at 3:30. You are going to burn yourself out if you keep that sort of schedule up!