I have to write a Letter of Resignation.....please help!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Kayasmomma, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Kayasmomma

Kayasmomma Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

I unfortunately have to write a Letter of Resignation to the Principal of my now "previous" school. I have accepted a job at another school. I want to thank him for the opportunity to work at the school........and what else? I have no idea what to say. It makes me uncomfortable! I also have to go there and pick up all of my things, which won't be a fun day! What to do?

3. nyteacher01

nyteacher01 Companion

Jul 20, 2006

I am in the same predicament. I don't think the pricipal is going to respoond well. I am not going to do this until the first week of August when everything is finalized. I could use some advice as well.

Good luck with everything.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2006

The following is a sample of a simple resignation. Will your resignation be a surprise to your administration or did they know you were looking? In either case, the following is short and sweet, yet grateful. Check your contract with the school you are leaving- in my district they can require you to give 60 days notice.

[Your Name]
    [Street • City • State • Zip Code]
    [Phone # • Fax phone # • Messages phone # • Email]​

[Date today]

[Recipient's name]

[Address]
    [Address]
    [Address]

Dear [Recipient's name]:

This is to formally notify you that I am resigning from [school name] as [job posisiton]. The associations I've made during my employment here will truly be memorable for years to come. I've enjoyed working with you and all my colleagues.

Thank you for the opportunity to work for such an outstanding school/district.

Sincerely,

[Sign here]

[Your name]

cc [Names for copies]

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

Keep it short and sweet. Thank you for the chance to be part of the ___ team. Choose any or all of statements like these: I will look back and remember _____ with fondness. My time at xxxx school provided me with a chance to - learn from excellent teachers or work with children with special needs or experience great satisfaction from making a difference in the community .... The time has come for me to move into a different stage of my professional life .... or to diversify my teaching experience or something like that.

To lessen the discomfort, focus on the reality that you are responsible for your job satisfaction and your future and really have the obligation to place yourself in the position which will help you to achieve your goals.

6. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 20, 2006

Don't worry so much. Principals are professionals and they know that people come and go. It's a part of life. I work in HR (until Aug. 7th baby) and get resignation letters all the time. Just think, someone that doesn't have a job will now have a job. Your bad news to the principal is going to be great news for someone else. Maybe even someone on this board that needs a job.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2006

Keep it short and sweet! I've had to write one resignation letter, and it was for an "extra duty" position . . . yet I was going to remain at the school in my teaching position. I fretted over that stupid letter for quite awhile before I finally just put it down . . . short form. Basically the same thing that czacza had in that post. The only extra thing I had was the "date effective" for mine.