I have to PEE!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by funshine2381, May 6, 2011.

1. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

May 6, 2011

Sorry for the rant. I know there's nothing that can be done...so of course I'm just going to suffer silently. I work at a HUGE school and we only have one faculty RR per hall. There are 4 halls. This is NOT a faculty stall witih several RRs....this is just ONE restroom, ONE toilet! My room is directly across from the RR and it's great-but there is ALWAYS someone in it!!! I have a documented bladder problem and have to go quite a bit. So, I'm running all over the school trying to get to another faculty RR and often have to leave my class alone. There are student restrooms....but they are NASTY!! I mean nasty. Sorry for the vent! I needed to get it out!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2011

This is one of the two biggest differences between teaching and the other professions. A pediatrician who feels the urge during an appointment has to wait till the end of the appointment but can then go, and take the time to wash up properly and all, and the schedule may well get shifted a bit accordingly. A lawyer who feels the urge may need to wait till the next break in the proceedings - but, if it's urgent, the lawyer can probably request a break, and in any case there will be a break soon, and it will be of a civilized length. But the teacher? Ummmmmmmm...

(The other difference? With the possible exception of teachers who get prep periods, the teacher is "on", in the theatrical sense, for the entire day. The architect who's crampy enough to be wretched but not crampy enough to stay home can schedule the day lightly, find relatively undemanding tasks, or at worst explain to clients that she's a bit indisposed and expect them to exhibit an adult level of compassion. The teacher in that condition is stuck: first graders' needs are first graders' needs, and they fairly non-negotiably include a teacher who's unremittingly patient, calm, and cheerful whether or not she feels perfectly rotten.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 6, 2011

At my last job, I was a resource teacher and if I really needed to go, I would dismiss my group a minute or two early, quickly run down to use the restroom and then be back by the time my next group arrived. I also had many breaks in my schedule. I LOVED that job.

But, when I was a regular teacher, yeah, it was very difficult to get to the restroom.

My husband was a substitute teacher (until recently) and apparenlty, we found out that he has been suffering from severe dehydrtation. He now works in a nice office type job as a programmer and drinks water all day long as he is able to go to the restroom whenever he needs to.

I think it's a shame how much we teachers have to suffer like this. When I taught, I NEVER drank any water during the day for fear I would have an emergency and no way to get to a restroom.

Something needs to be done, here.

5. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 6, 2011

What do you suggest as a way to remedy the bathroom break situation? Obviously, teachers should have more than one restroom on each hall. But how could the procedures be changed to allow for teachers to have more time to go to the restroom?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2011

The bathroom-break issue is one thing. The issue of being "on" full time is another. And I should have posted this in the "Raising the status" thread, perhaps, because that's what inspired my musing.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 6, 2011

I don't think was the case when I was subbing in my old high school a few years ago but when I went to school there they had 1-2 hall monitors in every hallway (near the student restrooms). If a teacher needed to step out of the room they would call down to one of the monitors and they would sit in the classroom for a few minutes until the teacher returned. In one of the middle schools I know their faculty restrooms had 3 stalls in each one. It was never a problem to use them.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 6, 2011

No such thing as a faculty restroom here...

It's on our wish list.

We might steal the aide for a minute, or ask a neighboring teacher to keep an eye on our class. (In fact, the teacher next door to me has some health issues. He has his kids trained to continue doing whatever they are working on, and read a book when they can go no further when he has to leave the room. He lets me know if he has to go, and then I pop back and forth between our two rooms. Not ideal, but it works...)

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 6, 2011

We don't have a faculty bathroom either. And I have never seen a bathroom as gross as ours, even in gas stations. I have never seen them cleaned. But we have to use them as there is no other choice.

10. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 6, 2011

I have had so many UTIs this year that when I need to go, I go. I make sure my kids are working on something and I ask one of the teachers near me (next door or across the hall) to listen out for them while I run down the hall to go. The 3 of us teachers do this for one another all day long. I'm tired of spending money on prescriptions :(

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 6, 2011

My school environment was such that if I had a documented problem, I probably could get the VP to request that other teachers use the other ones if at all possible thus reducing traffic. I feel sad that anyone has to suffer in private like that.

I was lucky though. I taught K and the early childhood wing got rooms with TWO bathrooms in them. One is supposed to be for the kids and the other is for the adults. Well, I let the kids use either one and I teach them how to do it respectfully. It worked out. If I needed to go to the restroom, I grabbed an aide.

12. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

May 6, 2011

By the time I did find someone to cover my room....and find a RR, I probably would have an accident by then. I'm glad that my kids are used to it and just continue with their work. If it's a test, I definitely suffer through it and bolt out as soon as the bell rings. But I wish it didn't have to be like that....

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 6, 2011

Man, this is NOT the way to spend your work days & it's not good for peole to hold it as it is, plus w/ your condition, that makes it even worse. I feel for you! :(

I think if I was in your shoes, I'd clear out a spot in the storage closet/room of the classroom (hopefully you have a little rm like this w/ its own door) & buy one of these, even if it had to be w/ my own money. THis is YOUR HEALTH we're talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanitation-Equipment-Deluxe-Portable-Toilet/dp/B000FBNWYK

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=RpzETZ38MIy4sQOs6YGcAQ&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAQ#

Desperate times call for desperate meaures!

14. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

May 6, 2011

LOL! That would be perfect....but no closet. I can just picture myself going into a closet and the kids hearing me...:)

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 6, 2011

LOL! Hey, if I had your condition, I'd be more concerned about my well being than them hearing something. Maybe you can play soft music every time you're going to mask the sound! ;)

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 6, 2011

Oooh, those are perfect for camping. Thanks Ms. I. Why didn't I ever think of getting one of those!?

And I LOVE that idea for the classroom. Just hook up some curtains if you don't have a closet and create your very own bathroom. :p You'll be known as the cool teacher. :D

17. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 6, 2011

well some kindergarten classrooms have their own bathrooms! That's an idea if you want to teach little ones...