I have to laugh at this email...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Boba, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 17, 2015

For 1 district I made it through round 2 of the 3 interviews until I was rejected. I did what people here recommended to do by asking for thanking for the opportunity to interview and asked for feedback on the interview. I also told him how much I wanted to work at his school since the reviews online were so good, and any advice that could help me "break in" to the district would be appreciated since it's so small. This is the email I got back (my email did ask questions):
    Hi Boba,
    You are welcome. It was nice getting to know you. Best wishes for a successful school year!

I may not have a school year!!!! $%#^%$#!!!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2015

It's very rare an administrator will give any feedback other than they 'went with another candidate who was a better fit'. Sometimes there's a specific reason why a candidate didnt get a job (and some of those remains may seem incredibly picayune to a non-selected candidate) and sometimes it's an intangible, indescribable gut feeling of what candidate will 'fit' best....and that's pretty much why candidates aren't given detailed feedback. There's no need to discourage candidates beyond not hiring them...
    At least you got a response...some candidates never hear back.:sorry:

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2015

Agree w czacza that districts often aren't allowed to give more info beyond "not the right fit"...HR/admin is often specifically not permitted to disclose more beyond this generic reply. I also agree that it is frustrating, though :/

5. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 17, 2015

Bingo!

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2015

The thing is that, often, a candidate didn't do anything wrong, and there is nothing they can do to improve. It's just that someone else was a better fit. Whether that means that they have more experience, know about a specific program the school uses, or just had a personality that meshed with the interviewers better varies. No principal is going to tell you, "Our gut said that this person was the right one to join our team, and it wasn't you." It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you or anything you need to do better. You're being too hard on yourselves thinking that that is the case. All you need to do is be yourself and convey what you know and will do as a teacher. There is likely nothing wrong with you... You just happen to be up against a candidate who happens to be a better fit for that school. Keep looking until you find your right 'fit'.

7. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 17, 2015

One time I emailed the chair as to why I didn't get the position (after thanking her for the opportunity of course) and she called the same day to tell me that she was looking for someone with a master's degree to teach dual credit courses (accelerated courses that can count for community college credit and only teachers with masters degrees in the content area can teach them). I found that really interesting at the time since I've always had the impression that having a master's makes you more expensive and districts are hesitant to hire you, but nowadays I know that is not true.

That is a rare situation though and I think the only reason why she gave me the time of day is because I was working in the district as a part-time employee (this position was ft at another school).

8. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Aug 18, 2015

Tried emailing for feedback twice this summer.

The first time in my rejection email the principal said that if I had any questions about my interview or wanted feedback I could email her, I still didn't get any response.

2nd one most of the feedback was good and he said to keep them in mind for future openings. The advice he gave was more general stuff for new teachers than really something I did wrong in the interview.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2015

It's not you, it's me...:lol: