I have to have them again!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, May 20, 2009.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 20, 2009

I found out yesterday that I will be moving to first grade next year! I am happy because my other option was preschool...however...that means I have to have this group of kids AGAIN!!! We are a 2 section elementary so I'll have about half of my kids next year. They have been driving me nuts from day 1! They are a nice group of kids they just think that they can do whatever they want ALL THE TIME.

I know there are advantages to following the kids...but I'm feeling a little let down because I don't get a new group. Right now I have a big feeling of dread because I have to deal with these guys again. I just know how much I have battled with them and I don't know if I can do it for another year.

I HAVE to get out of this mindset...any advice? Right now I'm trying to think of ways to be proactive about their behaviors...and I know I'm going to have to get on them from day 1 this time!

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Do some summer reading:

Not In My Classroom!: A Teacher's Guide to Effective Classroom Management by Frederick C. Wootan and Catherine H. Mulligan

Best Practice in Motivation and Management in the Classroom by Dennis G., Ph.D. Wiseman and Gilbert H. Hunt

The First Days Of School: How To Be An Effective Teacher by Harry K. Wong

Check out the Love and Logic and this forum.

While you're out this summer do some soul searching and see where your weaknesses are, write them down, and see what you can come up with to make next year the best of your career.

You spend the best waking hours of a day with those children, make them the best for yourself and for them.

Be familiar with your State Standards before hand too. You might want to write some lesson plans on read-alouds. Do all you can this summer to hit the new year running.

4. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

May 20, 2009

Something that always makes me feel better is knowing that a lot can happen in 3 months. Seeing kids for music in Kindergarten was so much different than when I saw the same group as 1st graders. Kids change every year. And maybe having half the class different will give enough change to make sure you don't have a repeat of this year.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 20, 2009

I would seriously look at your class and see who worked well together and who did not fit in with certain children. Try and make up a class based on that. I just made up our class lists with my 2 colleagues and this is what we look at first.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Okay - not an elementary teacher but I do feel your pain :) I now have had four students two years in a row because they have failed World History uggghhhh - and two of them are failing again uuugggghhhhhh

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

May 20, 2009

I feel your pain as well.......I am looping with my kids and not only that, I will have them OVER THE SUMMER!!!!!! So I don't even get a break over the summer from them!!! (Kill me now.......):lol:

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 20, 2009

I never thought I'd like moving up to the next grade, but it was really cool for me in the 4 years that I flipflopped from 2nd to 3rd. You get to see the kids grow for another year and it really is amazing. I felt proudest of my kids the second year I had some of them. Also, because there will be new kids mixed in, you will still have a new feel to the class. You will still need to teach and model your routines, but many will remember them (unless you change them) and that will help. :)