I have to do the first bulletin board...

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by MMRbella, Aug 18, 2007.

1. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I'm a new teacher, LTSing for a maternity leave. :)

I received my class list, recently, along with a bulletin board schedule. That is, the hallway bulletin board "rights" are rotated amongst teachers. Well, guess who has the very first bulleting board? I do. :unsure:

I actually love bulletin boards (I know, I'm weird), but I am a little freaked out about this. I have NO CLUE what to put up on it. I was told that it has to be up by the first day of school. But... I don't have any student work! :mellow: What should I do???

I figure that I should do a back to school bulletin board... but I'm unsure as to how this should be done. I've never put up a board without student work before. Please help! I am open to any suggestions or ideas, or opinions.

:thanks:

3. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Maybe you could title it 'Welcome Back' or a catchier name and put a school in the middle with cartoon kids arriving to the school in different ways such as on a bike, a bus, a car, walking, etc.

Or does the school have a school song? You could display it along with some pictures to match.

4. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

5. map

map Companion

Aug 18, 2007

How about putting up a map of the USA and marking where everyone went on vacation. Students could put a small dot on the state/city where they visited. You could start the year by having all the staff mark their spots. I'm trying to think of a catching title. I'll keep thinking.

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 19, 2007

I usually do a "Super Summer Stories" bulletin board. Find some cute border and punch out the letters for the middle using Ellison die cutter at school and find some cute punch outs to go with it; like suns, watermelons, rainbows, etc. from teacher store. Then I have kids write short 2 paragraph stories of what they did and illustrate. Or just have kids draw and color themselves and give each student a speech bubble to write their favorite part of the summer. If you back the illustrations with different colored paper it always looks cute and colorful and it is a great first writing for their yearly writing portfolios. Another thing you could do is take their pictures and add quotes they give you the first day. You could just type them up and mount them under the pictures after school using computer pictures.