I have to cancel my cable.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jlyn07, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

It's silly but I'm so upset. I lost my job in May and found a new one rather quickly but I'm making much less than I was so money is really, really tight. I've made the decision to cancel my cable and DVR service. I'll only have channels up to 15 or something and the internet. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but being so broke a lot of my entertainment is watching shows that I've DVR'd throughout the week. I'm sad :(

I will miss MTV and E! dearly but I think I can watch most of their shows online.

Praying that I get a teaching job for the fall so I can stop being so stressed over money. Being an adult is not fun sometimes!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

I'm SO sorry! I would not be happy either! I have thought about doing that, because my cable, internet and DVR are about 120 a month and I certainly could have money go toward other things. I know if I didn't have cable I would be renting a lot more movies and watching tv shows online...

I am thinking that when my SO and I move in together it will be the time to cancel it, since there is already no cable at her place. I'll have to see if I survive!

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

I am sorry that things are tight for you. But, it is the responsible thing to tighten the belt if money is tight. My family has been there. You will be proud of yourself when you have lived through the bad times.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

You're making a very responsible decision, and as you said, there's so much you can see online now!

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

It's the tough times that make us recognize the good ones.
    The networks have almost everything online now if you know where to look. I know that mtv has a website and so does E! so you might be able to catch their shows there. And...you can pause and watch when you have time. That's good, right?

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

I have 6 kids. Living without DirectTV at my house is an impossibility. In fact, my kids don't even realize that we pay for it. My son went to spend the night at a friend's house who didn't have DVR and liked to flip out. He honestly thought all tv's could rewind and f.f.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

When I moved into this apartment by myself 4 years ago, things were tight and I did the same thing. Even though I have the money now, I never switched back. I have my basic 10 channel cable and that's about all I need. Many shows are available online or are downloadable. If not, I don't need to watch it. You won't miss it...

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

We also had to get rid of our cable and DVR so I feel you!!! We have basic so I still can watch many of the shows that I was watching before. There are a few science shows that I am now unable to watch, but at least I can still catch NOVA on PBS!! I also bookmarked Hulu so that I can watch some of the other shows that I miss.

10. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Last summer I got cable (for the first time in my life!) because of a promotion. I told myself it was just for the summer. A year later...here I am still excited to watch Sex and the City on a nightly basis!

I also got internet this summer under a promotion. I know I'm going to have to cancel it when the 6 months are up...it will be hard!!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

We'll be canceling our cable when we get a house. I am addicted to USA and HGTV, but we can watch everything online.

Besides, we've had the TV off for the last few nights, and let's just say the weather isn't the only thing heating up around here. Maybe we'll accidentally knock our TV off the balcony... I kind of like our evenings right now....

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

I have been without cable for 2 years almost. I watch plenty of TV and movies online. also keep in mind the library usually has great rental selections. best wishes! I know it can be tough when you HAVE to cut something because you have no choice.

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

Thats a definite PLUS!!!

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

I've never paid for cable and never will. I can think of many fun things to do with all that money instead. I know that doesn't help if you miss it, but I have always observed my roommates came home, flop of the sofa and watch TV non-stop. It seems super depressing to me!

I buy the tv shows I want on iTunes (this is not many shows, so for an entire year, I spend less than 2 months worth of cable bills), or I watch some on hulu.com (or I would if my current roommate didn't suck up ALL our bandwith with WoW 12 hrs/day. )

If you can afford it, you can always get a lower tier Netflix subscription. I have a $5/month plan where I get 1 out at a time and can watch 12 hrs streaming a month.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

I also have never paid for cable. Not even basic cable for many years, we just had rabbit ears! Now we have basic cable because it's free with the internet service that we chose, but I still don't get any cable channels, just better reception. And I have 3 kids of my own, and usually have my sister's grand-daughter all summer long. I think kids need to find other ways to entertain themselves...not TV, not computer, not video games.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 16, 2009

When I was teaching for the first year about 4 hours from home, I couldn't get cable. They had a satellite but it was always not working. So I canceled it. I had ABC and NBC for the year and dial up internet so I couldn't watch the shows on the computer. Anyway, it won't be as bad as you think once you get used to it.

17. yostie

yostie Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

We've been there, as well. Maybe cancel some other things so you don't have to cancel cable. We cancelled our cell phones (life is SO nice without them) and got pay as you go ones. They stay in the car and are for emergencies only. We also got rid of extra stuff on the phone line... caller id, call waiting, long distance, etc. Or, do what we just did for our cable... call and tell them you are cancelling to go to another provider unless they give you the new sign up deals (we went from paying $60/month for cable to paying $25/month by doing this). They'll tell you they can't do it, but keep asking and they will. Lastly, do you have cable internet? Down-grade to dsl and save a ton. We went from paying $60/month for cable internet to paying $19/month for dsl. I don't notice any difference!

Those are my frugal actions from the past years! I keep reminding myself that by being more simple, I am saving BIG TIME bucks!

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

I have $10 basic and I still watch Sex in the City nightly, too!

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

My husband and I have been talking about it as well. The extra money could go towards daycare, gas, and so many other things!! So, just know that you aren't alone.

Jem- You might just get that baby and the house ;)

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

Last year, I got the full box set used like new on Amazon for $43. If I helped my roommates pay their cable bill (expanded basic + basic HBO), I would be paying $36/month! TBS doesn't count--they cut out so much it is a sad shadow of the real show.

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

Hopefully, this will only be temporary for you. I know that I would have to look for other options to cut out instead of cable, but then again most of my entertainment is from cable. It's definitely a responsible choice on your part, though.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 16, 2009

I'm so sorry you have to do this! I'd be furious because I'm such a couch potato & have been staying up all summer anytime from 2am to almost 5am watching TV & the things I've DVR'd.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 16, 2009

Heehee. No, dh reminds me daily about my bc. My student is about all I can handle at the moment!!