I have the flu.-- what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Jan 12, 2015.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 12, 2015

I missed Friday because my son's daycare called me Thursday to reprt a high fever-- turns out he has the flu. Now I have it too, confirmed by urgent care. I called out sick today, and right now I'm still having a fever of 102.8. My urgent care wrote a note excusing me for the rest of the week, which is ridiculous. But I don't know what to do about tomorrow, this will be THREE schools days in a row, and I have already used a sick day in November for noro virus, and two others in September for a sick child-- I have three kids! I normally don't get sick, and I've had my flu shot to avoid this!? What do I do?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2015

Take another day! That's what they're for! (Easier said than done though, I know...as I've pushed through to avoid having to use them since I'd still have to come in for a couple hours to get things together) Are you low or is it just that it is 3 days in a row? With a doctor's note, the latter should be no problem at all. If you are low, most districts will have back-ups in place (asking the other teachers for shared leave, or taking an unpaid day), at least from what I've heard.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2015

You need to stay home. You need to get better and your students and colleagues don't need to to infect them.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 12, 2015

You stay home...

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 12, 2015

You stay home.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 12, 2015

Stay home.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 12, 2015

Stay home.

You'll get well faster. You won't spread your germs to everyone else. Just stay home.

Nobody wants to miss days, but sometimes you don't have a choice. One year I missed 43 days in a row. No prep time. I just had to leave everything behind. It was fine.

Feel better.

9. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 12, 2015

Not to belabor the point... but stay home. Especially if you have a strain of the flu that the vaccine didn't cover; your coworkers and students will thank you for not spreading it.
    The flu was going through one of the districts near me, and some of the teachers were saying it's so bad because it was the strain not covered by the vaccination. There were hundreds of people in the district getting sick. So yeah... sleep, drink fluids, and get better. That's why you have sick days. And I hope you feel better soon! The flu sucks. :(

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 12, 2015

Stay home. I rarely get sick, but once I got a bad case of the flu and missed 4 days in one week. It happens. It is not your fault.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2015

Even if it means not getting a paycheck for a day or two, you stay home. IF sick people stayed home, the epidemics would involve many less people, there would be less chance of truly at risk individuals from contracting the disease, and the likelihood of complications for yourself is greatly diminished. We have sick days, but more importantly, we need to show that we are truly smart, and do the right thing by taking the time we need when we are most infectious. Stay home - be considerate of your coworkers, students, and the incidental people you may infect if you choose to "go in" while sick. By the way - feel better soon.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2015

Stay home.

Call your dr for tamiflu.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 13, 2015

It only works if you take it in the first two days. She was exposed on Friday.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2015

If she isn't staying home, I will be happy to know she doesn't teach in my district - I don't need the flu! :lol:

15. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 13, 2015

I stayed home.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2015

I hope you feel better quickly!

17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 13, 2015

I really hate this attitude of pressing forward despite illness. We truly are a nation of workaholics to a dangerous level. Sure, if you're alone in an office and you want to work, go for it.

But people who work with other people to the extent of teachers... it's not impressive.

Not saying you feel this way, but sick days are for sick days. Use them. Seek further information if you need more days. But get well!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2015

From webmd:
    "Both Relenza and Tamiflu are most effective when given within 48 hours of the onset of flu symptoms, although they may still prevent severe flu complications when given more than 48 hours after symptoms appear."

The OP didn't say she had symptoms on Friday...she said she stayed home that day because her son was sick.

Feel better, AdamnJakes! Lots of fluids and rest! :hugs

19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 14, 2015

I was out a whole week last year due to the flu. I was never even questioned. I have tons of days though. If you are sick....stay home.

20. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2015

Just wanted to say feel better soon.

21. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 14, 2015

Glad you decided to stay home. I know that at some schools I've experienced, admin and the nurses tell you to stay home until you're fever free for 24 hours, but then when you actually do get sick, they want you back ASAP, regardless of what you've got.