I have so many issues and I need help!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Audria007, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Oct 17, 2016

I just started in a new preschool room. This class is nothing like I have had before... I will get them all settled into doing an activity. I walk away to great a parent and child and they are jumping off tables and throwing toys and tattling on each other for saying " booty". It is just out of control.
    I have a child who does not sit for circle time. I time is not long because I know their attention spans are not long. He just runs around the room and tried to run out the door to outside. I explain to him that it is not safe to go outside without his teachers. At naptime he will sleep for less than 30 minutes and waking growling and roaring so loud it wakes the other children. I have tried giving him something quiet to do but he continues to growl and roar and run around the classroom. If I try to redirect him he screams at the top of his lungs For about 15 minutes. I do not pick up or force anything but even if i just say something he starts screaming.
    There is another child that brings in toys from home every sigle days today he brought a sword. Even though we have told his parents toys from home are only allowed on Fridays for show and tell and they can not be weapons. They have to be theme related. He also can not seem to keep his hands to himself. He balls up his fists and punches everyone. The children will be sitting listening to stories and he will just turn around and punch them. When he is given a direction he starts punching people or if nobody is around him he will punch the wall. His mom is also another teacher in the center.
    Another child. She is really good and very sweet but cried when she comes in the morning. Which is fine and completely normal so I comfort her and get her talking and smiling...and her mom stands there the whole time watching and when she is smiling and talking and laughing her mom says "ok give me my hug and kiss" and the child begins crying again and runs out the door. I have explained to mom that it is ok to leave and she said well I want my hug and kiss. Then when she picks up. She picks up during nap time. The children are already awake most of the time because of the first child but She let's her son run around my classroom jumping on the cots and he gets all of the children chasing him.
    I need some advice and techniques bad.

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 17, 2016

Oh my. I'll be bluntly honest......you need some classroom management strategies badly. First, are you working in a public preschool classroom or in a childcare center? Second, are you the lead teacher? And third, what are the age ranges in the classroom.

Aside from classroom management and learning how to control a classroom, you need to find your teacher voice and learn how to talk to parents. If you say no outside toys in the classroom, then when a child walks in with a toy, you take it and say "oh my gosh this will be so fun to play with when you go home!" and hand it back to the parent. When a parent comes to pick a child up at nap, you walk the child right to the parent and don't give him the chance to run around the classroom jumping on mats. When a parent says they want to stay for a hug and kiss, you make sure that the next day the parent gets a hug, kiss, and says goodbye and then usher them out of the classroom even if the child is still crying.

Do you have a mentor teacher that can help? Is this your first time working in a preschool classroom?

shoreline02 and czacza like this.
  4. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Oct 18, 2016

It is a childcare center but we do still have a curriculum. I have only been in there for about 2 weeks. I was rushed in there because 1 teacher was fired and the other quit. The person they put me with is great the kids love him and he does what I need him to but had never worked with kids before and has never taken any ECE courses. I worked in preschool last year for a few months but I have mostly worked with 2 year olds.
    The frusterating thing with this parent that brings in toys is she is Another teacher who doesn't like when people bring in toys. ..
    The parent that wants a hug and kiss will not give her a hug and kiss if she is crying because she pulls away from her and she wants the daughter to give her a hug and kiss.
    I thought about starting a clip chart. I am trying to stay away from too many sweets so I am trying to come up with ideas to pick out of the treasure box. I am open to any tips and ideas for classroom management please help please be blunt.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 18, 2016

With parents, I still say you need to find your teacher voice. If the rule in your classroom is that there are no toys, then you need to tell that parent that the sword is not welcomed in the classroom. If the parent wants a hug and kiss, then tell her she needs to get it in the hallway before she comes in and explain that it makes it much harder on the child to do it at the end.

I do behavior trainings for preschool teachers across my state. Clip charts are not appropriate in preschool and I'm very anti-treasure boxes. Instead, think more of how your classroom is structured and runs on a daily basis. Do you have simple rules in place that you review EVERY day? The rules in my classroom are 1) We are nice to our friends. 2) We listen to the teachers. and 3) We keep our classroom clean. We review them at circle time every day, and when a child breaks the rule, I refer to it (Oh, I see you left your center messy. One of the rules when we come to school is "We keep our classroom clean". What should you do instead?) Do you positively reinforce all appropriate behavior throughout the day? (I like how you're sitting at circle time, you earn a sticker. I like how you did the activity quietly, you earn a stamp) If you don't already, start positively reinforcing every single positive thing you see with stickers, stamps, and verbal praise. Use timers (preferably visual timers) to help students who need extra help (i.e. "you have to sit for 5 minutes at circle time. you can go to library when the timer goes off") and extend the time as you go.

6. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Oct 18, 2016

Oh I didn't think of stamps that sounds like a good idea? How do you do with the stamps? Do you just do them on a card or something? I do stickers right now but they complain. They say " I already got a sticker" or " Ms. So and so have me a sucker when I made good choices" I know it is going to take awhile for them to get used to me. I am trying to be patient...

7. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 19, 2016

I had been a 2 year old teacher for about 4 years but was asked to fill in for preschool when the other teacher went on maternity leave. We had about 15 preschoolers ages 3-4. It was a MESS when I first started. What helped: routine, routine, routine.

When they get in, what can they do? Where can they go? What centers are open?
    How do they know when to clean up? Sound? You telling them? etc.
    When they are done and need to come to the carpet (my biggest hurdle)... where do they sit?
    I ended up assigning a seat to each kid (a piece of masking tape on the carpet and write their name with sharpie) . They HAD to sit in that same exact spot everyday. If they wouldn't or moved, we would put them back in the right spot, if they still refused then they were excused to go to the quiet center. Most of the time they ended up slowly making their way back to their spot once they realized how much fun the other kids were having.
    Positive reinforcement is a must! If kids were on their spot I would make a big deal about it and give high fives, get a puppet out who went crazy with the kids making good choices. That one sounds silly but they LOVED it. (no candies or toys as rewards - they already get enough of that junk!)

What do they do after circle time? Where do they go and how?

Have a routine for everything!

At nap we also had "quiet" bags. These were filled by the parents from stuff from home. If they woke up, they were allowed to get their quiet bag out. I think it helped because it was the child's own belongings. But we sent home a flyer of what was allowed in the bag. Crayons/paper, books. etc. QUIET items.
    And teacher voice is important. If a child would bring something in they weren't allowed to have I would usually put it in a shopping bag and put it in their cubby. When the parents came I would explain why it was in a bag, in the cubby. They usually got the hint.

8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 21, 2016

I just give a stamp on their hand. No big deal. You have to make yourself reinforcing to children. They need to care more about your praise and approval than a sucker or a treasure box prize. Keep it up, it will take time but eventually it will work.

Audria007 likes this.