i have only recieved one call

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by charliekay, Sep 5, 2006.

1. charliekay

charliekay Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

i am going crazy,i have been a sub since the first of augest,and i have only worked once:eek: how do i get more calls? how can i ensure that i will work more ? my hubby is getting really upset and is telling me to go find another job where i actually will get paid,but i don't want to.i had really rather sub,but what do i do???
    thanks charlotte

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 5, 2006

I completely understand. I have only worked 2 1/2 days although I do have a job lined up for today and tomorrow. Can you call the sub coordinator? Try starting about 1pm and see if there are any openings for the next day. Email the school principals with your resume letting them know that you are available. Do you have kids in school? Talk to their teachers. I can't think of anything else. Try and be patient. I know it is hard, my husband has had the same concerns about money. We are paying for daycare whether we use it or not so subbing my end up costing us money rather than making money if I don't get more jobs soon.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2006

It ususally takes a month or so after school begins before you will start getting called regularly. After all, it is the beginning of the year, and most often teachers try not to be out so early in the year.

Why not look for a job that you can work "after school hours" so you will still be free to sub.

5. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Sep 5, 2006

Best investment and I my calander is full because of it:

1) Buy some business card paper from Wal-Mart, etc., make up some cards with your name, number and a piece of cute clip art.

2) Drive to all the schools. Ask to talk to the sub coordinator. S/He may be busy. Ask to wait. Get face time with him/her. Tell them how much you want to work, etc. If you must leave without face time, leave a card and call later the next day to regret not meeting up.

Yes, the first month is slow, but school's been open for a month here, and I've been subbing at middle and high schools with only four days off when I could have worked. get face time and be memorable. Until then, you're just another name on a list.

6. charliekay

charliekay Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

well i asked the school where my daughter is and she said we don't have anything like a sub cordinator,just when someone needs a sub the secretary calls someone. i did wind up subbing today after all :)
    and i am half day at another school on thursday. so i guess it's getting better,i am just frustrated that i am not getting called more.

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2006

One of the things I did was make up a short little template on word that just had my name, and my sub. ID#...then I always left that for the teacher that I subbed for with information about how the day went- things that we got finished, things that didn't get finished, kids that really helped or weren't quite angels. They appreciate that, and if they are out again, chances are they will try to request you! And like everyone else said, sometimes it takes a while to get into the swing of things!

8. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

I have subbed almost every day this year because of the things that I did to promote myself. You can read about what I did on the thread on this forum called "Substitute Summary Form" My post is titled "Advice from a crazy person!!" lol

It is a bit drastic, but I need the money and the sub jobs keep coming in- in fact I get multiple calls for the same day and have to turn people down!!

GOOD LUCK!

9. charliekay

charliekay Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

thanks ya'll.i will check out the thread and use some of the ideas :)

10. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 7, 2006

Leave a card with your number on it everywhere you sub! Ask to post it on the teacher's lounge bulletin board. Also, our district has a preferred list at each building.....make sure your name and number is on that! It just means that you prefer subbing there and you can be on it at every school! Just call the secretary and ask her to add you! Once you get established, people will call again and again!

11. charliekay

charliekay Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

yep all the teachers in all of our schools have a list with the subs numbers on it,hopefully they will use it :)
    i was in a pre k class today,i absolutely loved it! i would love to just work with that age group,but that's not possible :(

12. Msdawn

Msdawn New Member

Sep 10, 2006

Good Advice Given

Everyone has given you good advice. I received my first sub position for this year to start the 1st day of school. I'm subbing till the position is filled. Prior to this call for multiple days I had went to all the local schools. I told them I was still subbing and available. I made sure that the information on file was current. Like with all things word of mouth is the best advertising. Make sure you do a great job, get to know the other teachers. I have been called by teachers personally to sub for them. Do not be afraid to go to your local high schools too. Do not wait for them to call you, call them.

13. charliekay

charliekay Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

thanks i appreciate it.

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2006

I really like the idea of leaving business cards ... I want to do this, but have never heard of it beind done around here. I think I will try. Thanks to everyone.

15. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

I think the business card idea is great! I actually just started making some, even though I am yet to be on the sub list. I sent in my paperwork to 3 districts almost 1 month ago and am still waiting! Two have to schedule interviews, but the other one keeps losing paperwork for mine and then haven't assigned a sub #. I'm trying to be patient realizing this is still the beginning of the year and I'm sure all sorts of busy things are going on. I have also heard that most "new" subs don't get very many calls the first couple of months. Hopefully we'll get our names out there! :)

16. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 12, 2006

Charliekay, be prepared. Some years will be better than others.

When I first started subbing, my phone was ringing off the hook. Then, during year two, it was quiet.

If you like teaching a lot and your husband wants to you have a "real" job with steady hours, steady pay,a nd benefits then perhaps you should see about becoming a Teacher's Aide.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION, CLICK HERE TO OBTAIN A FORM or call the TN DOE Teacher Licensing Department at (615) 532-4880 for additional information.

17. charliekay

charliekay Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

to be a teachers aid in our area you have to have a two year degree and i don't :(

18. Suburban Gal

Sep 13, 2006

Perhaps you can get enrolled at a local community college or 4-year instutuion and start taking classes so that you can get your A.A. and become a TA.

As a Substitute Teacher, you don't have regular hours or pay and certainly don't have any benefits. At least you'd have all that as a full-time TA.

Subbing is great, but just because you're on a sub list doesn't mean you're guaranteed any calls for the year. This is why many people who do it are MULTIPLE DISTRICT and usually have their names on 4 or 5 districts lists at one time.But even that's a gamble. A person could actually go the entire year and never get a call from any of the 4 or 5 districts they're with.

While you can do business cards as some suggested to help make a name for yourself, there's really not much else you can do to ensuring more calls and more work as a Substitute Teacher. Either you will be called or you won't be called.

19. kimlovesteachin

kimlovesteachin Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

I have not been called at all to sub. The schools around here just started at the end of August. It is still hard though because my other job is tutoring and I don't get many hours from that.

I have started to look for office jobs instead. I can't rely on subbing.

20. Suburban Gal

Sep 13, 2006

This is the main reasons why Substitutes are always hired on a continual basis and why it can be, at times, hard to fill a sub position. A lot of people who get put on sub lists have main jon and sub whenever they can.

I know it's a rough start, but you will get calls as the year progresses. And if we have a flu shortage this year, chances are you'll be working like crazy.

How many districts are you on board with? A Substitute Teacheris usually on board with 3 to 5 districts and will drop and add them accordingly in later years based on whether or not they get calls from them. The more districts you're on board with, the better because it dramatically increases your chances of working more than if you were to just rely on one or two districts.

I'd also look at subbing at Charter and Catholic schools in your area to better increase your odds of being called. LTS (Long-Term Substitute) positions are also another posibility in addition to Teacher's Aide Substitutes. You may want to do some of that too charliekay.

In any case, I highly encourage you ladies to go to your local community college or 4-year institution to obtain your Associate's degree so that you can eventually get an Aide position. This way, you'd be doing what you love most (teaching) and have steady pay, steady hours, AND benefits all rolled into one.