I have no classroom library! :(

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by lvnlife287, Aug 22, 2008.

1. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

Hi All-

New to being a classroom teacher and teaching 5th grade. The last teacher left me a handful of books so I am basically starting from scratch for my classroom library. Any suggestions on how to add books to it without going broke? :)

Thanks!

3. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 22, 2008

http://www.scholastic.com/bookfairs/events/warehouse/

HUGE sales......in college I would volunteer to work in 4 hour chunks of time and they provided all volunteers with an $80 voucher for books that you could purchase after your shift.....the books in general are on sale so even if you don't work any shifts you can get a good deal.......be sure to register online so you don't have to wait in lines to get into the warehouse!

4. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Get on ebay! I got a big paper box FULL of over 50 books for that age when I started teaching 5th grade for under 20 bucks on ebay. Also remember to get some books that are below 5th grade reading level and above as well. I tried to keep books from about 2nd grade level up to about 8th in my room for the kids when I was teaching 5th grade. With Kindergarten I had picture books up to about late 1st grade level.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 22, 2008

Garage sales are a great place to get gently used books. Often, if you tell them you are a teacher, they will give you a bargain. Sometimes, they will even give them to you outright. Good luck!

6. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I've bought most of my library from Ebay also. I still need many, many more books. All of my previous library is for K-2... :(

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008

Can any other teachers give you extra books from their libraries? Also you might ask your school librarian to give you some books to beef up your classroom lib.

8. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Join the Scholastic Book Clubs. Once your kids start ordering you'll start racking up points and getting lots of books for free. Their prices in the orders aren't too bad either, I always pay for a bunch to add to our classroom library and get the free ones too! The warehouse sales another poster mentioned are awesome!!! Check them out if you can. Ebay is good, but make sure you check the shipping costs, I got $crewed by ordering some books for $20 and paid $60 in shipping!:eek: Another good place to check is Goodwill, the books are usually older, but they still have some great options! Good luck and enjoy the book hunt!

9. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 22, 2008

I have almost 900 books (I don't graduate until this year) and what I've been doing is going to Goodwill. I pay .50 a paperback and $1 a hardback. I've gotten hardback books that haven't even been cracked open yet! For $1!

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 23, 2008

Just start going to garage sales, goodwill, salvation army, local library have sales, people you know, parents (ask for donations of books), scholastic - I didn't have much of a library either but now I have over 200 books which is decent but I just keep looking for them whenever I am out and enlist whoever to help me in looking for more books.

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 23, 2008

Post a request for books on your local freecycle. Go to freecycle.org to sign up. Also, ask your kids to donate any old books that they no longer want. I received probably about 200 of my 1800 books that way!

12. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

Thank you so much everyone! These are EXCELLENT suggestions :)

13. NooniePie

NooniePie Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I'm also a new teacher, and got a great deal on high school level books at Goodwill. Also, check with your local library for used books (I got a hook up with a librarian who said she would email me when they add alot to the used shelf!). There's usually a shelf with some for as low as .50-$1!!

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 24, 2008

If your school holds Scholastic Book Fairs, there is usually a place for teacher wishes. Our librarian does this. She has a display board with a pocket for each teacher in the building. The teachers are given wish coupons to fill out for books sold at the fair. When parents come to the fair they can purchase any of these books as a donation to the school or classroom library. Some times I get almost all my wish books, other times only one or two.

15. MrsAcord

MrsAcord Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

Garage Sales
    Parent Teacher Organizations
    Ask kids to donate any books they are done reading
    Public Libraries - ask about books they are reading and friends of the library sales.
    Talk to your school librarian/assistant - ask them for a collection you can keep in your room for a while and then switch them out for new ones. You may just need to provide them with a couple of baskets to put them in.

16. TAZmo

TAZmo Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

I like goodwill (5 books for $1.00) I was thrilled. I also like scholastic books, not only do you rack up bonus points, but they have books for $1.00 and they give you coupons for each month. It's a pretty good deal.

17. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

When you get books from Scholastic, are they yours or they the school's? If you don't teach there next year, do you take them with you or leave them?

Thanks!
    Becky

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 26, 2008

At our school they belong to you.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 26, 2008

They are mine, but I'll probably leave some behind since I have more books than I know what to do with.

20. jocapo

jocapo Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

Check out your local libraries.
    I started teaching 2 years ago and had nothing. I purchased books at a library sale. On the last day of a sale, I filled a brown paper shopping bag with as many books that would fit and paid only $5.
    I had 100 paperback books in the bag. Similar sales have occurred since and I always go. The sales have been about every six months or so (September and March) in my neighborhood.