I have never felt so overwhelmed in my life!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by andi137, Sep 25, 2007.

1. andi137

andi137 Companion

Sep 25, 2007

So I am sitting in here during my plan period trying to fight the tears of frustration. I figured what better way to feel better than to vent. I am a first year teacher. I am working in a Special Education classroom even though I only have my Elementary Ed Certificate. I have to go back to school to get my Emergency Cert while I am teaching. So not only is it my first year, I have no idea what I am doing on the paperwork and I also have to drive 60 miles one way to attend classes on Tues and Thurs directly after school. As soon as the bell rings I am out the door. I have a social worker who has been doing my paperwork since I have absolutely no idea. She takes every opportunity to make me feel like a complete idiot. She seems really nice and I know I am going to owe her big for all of the things she has done for me but I hate how everytime I leave from a meeting with her or from just speaking with her I feel like a complete idiot. I really am hating my decision to accept this position!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2007

DO NOT feel like an idiot!! You are a first year teacher teaching an area you did not go to school for. The paperwork does take some getting used to and the more you do, the more you learn. I'm not in SpEd, but just wanted to advise you to keep your head up!

4. casbind

casbind New Member

Sep 25, 2007

Don't feel bad. Seriously, I have been teaching for almost 20 years and I still feel stupid when it comes to paperwork for special ed. I do my best to dot the i's and cross the t's and I remind myself that while paperwork is necessary it is not what I do best. I am a teacher, I teach. Don't let yourself get caught up in what you are not good at, focus on what you are good at and if you work at it, the rest will come. Hang in there.

5. soccer14

soccer14 Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

I agree! I am a second year special ed. teacher and I was always asking questions and still do! Every school is different in how they do their paperwork and paperwork is ALWAYS changing. Keep your head up and do your best! Good Luck!

6. andi137

andi137 Companion

Sep 25, 2007

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!!!! I just feel so blah blah blah!!

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2007

That's so weird - the social worker at my school also made me feel like a complete dumb dumb my first year!! She was so mean to me - one time she did even make me cry! I was wondering why they allow children to vent their frustrations to her when she can't even treat adults appropriately!

Just know that it's all one big learning experience. IT DOESget better!!!! It totally does. I still ask questions!

I am pretty sure the special ed department at our district is like, oh geez, another email from her!!

8. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 25, 2007

Hang in there. I'm in a similar situation. Also a first year teacher, an intern, so I'm doing classes for my special ed credentials (Thursday nights, right after work, plus selected Saturdays). I have a load of homework for my classes, plus I have to prepare lessons for my students, plus I still have a mess in my classroom and I don't have time to organize all the junk in the closets. Plus I have 4 IEPS coming up in October (and I've been in the classroom for only 1 week. What do I know about the students????).
    So try to take it easy. That's what my principal and other teachers at school are telling me. Give yourself some time, a year, it will get better.

I hate paperwork too!!!!

9. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

Paperwork is the worst part of the job! There are a couple of gen ed teachers who I think would be great in sped, but they have said no way b/c of the massive amounts of paperwork. I am in my 11th year, and I still cannot get over the crazy amounts of meetings, meetings, meetings, which of course require lots of papers to write up, go over, and sign!
    Thankfully in the district I'm in, a couple of years ago they doubled the amount of "IEP days" the sped teachers can get per year. We now have 6 days per year when we can request a sub and do paperwork all day. It has REALLY helped!!!
    A mentor within your district would be helpful for you... do they have anything like that set up?

10. andi137

andi137 Companion

Sep 26, 2007

I do have a mentor but she is a gen ed teacher so I am not sure how much help she would be on the paperwork. She has been great though.
    I really appreciate all the words of confidence.