I have an interview tomorrow, too!!! :)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pisces_Fish, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 7, 2008

Ohmigod, omigod, OH MY GOD!!!!!

True story: I'm sitting at my desk, polishing up my cover letter to my Dream School (the same one I posted for critique on this website earlier today) when my cell phone rings. I don't recognize the number but I answer anyway. IT'S THE PRINCIPAL FROM MY DREAM SCHOOL! I have an interview at 1 pm tomorrow! I hastily called out of work just 30 mins before my shift...I have interview questions to rehearse!;) I wish I had more time to prepare, but hey, it gives me less time to panic :lol:

I'm TERRIFIED! I haven't put together a portfolio yet!!! (stupid me). But I do have a mini-portfolio, I'll bring that and try to find some lessons to throw in there. Unfortunately, I have no student work (stupid me). Will this be enough? It has me very worried....

Please send good vibes my way. I always get hopelessly lost for words when I'm nervous, and this interview has me pretty psyched!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 7, 2008

So Awesome!!!!! Best of luck to you tomorrow. You will do great!!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2008

That's great! Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes. Be sure to visit the Interview Questions threads on this board.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2008

Good luck!

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 7, 2008

Congrats! Isn't getting "the phone call" the best!?!?!

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

Congrats!!! That's what happened to me, too! I hope it works out for you, and you land your dream school!!!!

-good vibes!!!!-

btw: I put my portfolio together moments before my interview, and it worked out great! I don't advise that method...lol...but it can be done in a hurry! :rolleyes:

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 7, 2008

GOOD LUCK - I am sure you will do great :)

Be sure to let us know how everything goes.

9. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 7, 2008

Congrats to you and good luck :)

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2008

Good luck! I think that it's probably good that it's at the last minute, so that you aren't worried about it for days (or weeks).

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 7, 2008

I just put together a superfast portfolio...at least I'll have SOMETHING to refer to when I'm stuck :)

12. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 7, 2008

:2up:Wow!!! Congratulations!!! I am sending good vibes.

As for your portfolio, don't worry that you don't have actual student work, as long as it's lesson you are familiar with and have used. Over the seven years that I taught, I never kept student work...stupid me, but I know the samples I compiled are valid because I used them in my classroom. If you have time, create a sample and take a digital picture to add to your portfolio. I "fudged" a few lessons by showing a picture of the completed lesson that I made at my house.:whistle:

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 7, 2008

Woot! That's so awesome :D I can't wait to hear how you do and I truly hope you'll get a position at your dream school.

As for the portfolio, it can be useful--- some people will look through it, while others will just skim or not even ask for it. Really the vibes you give off and how you answer things are most important I think (at least that's what I got while interviewing at an amazing academy I'll now be working for come Sept).

I remember my first interview for this school was through the phone and I had studied a million different questions and had my portfolio at hand in case I needed something. Then I got the call and I didn't even have to answer any of the questions I thought I would have or need to touch my portfolio.

My best advice is to talk to them like they're already your fellow co-workers and that they're all newbie teachers too. Be their equals because honestly you are--- you are a professional educator, just like that :) If you "click" well with the teachers, you'll have a better chance at the position. As much as they want a skillful teacher for their students, they also want a person they know they can work well with.

Good luck!!!

14. smalltowngal

Apr 7, 2008

And if you can refer to your portfolio to answer questions, that will impress them.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

Good luck today PF! Knock their socks off:)

Lemon

16. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 8, 2008

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2008

Good luck! Keep us posted.

18. smalltowngal

Apr 8, 2008

I'm thinking about you today! Let us know how it goes.

19. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

Good luck!

20. BioAngel

Apr 8, 2008

Can't wait to hear the news!?! :D

21. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

How did it go?!?!

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 8, 2008

Are you out celebrating?

23. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

I guess she is! I did have two glasses of wine with my dinner tonight. Haha!

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 8, 2008

Oh man, I am soooo happy to report that my interview went well! :2up:

What a relief that it's over! It really wasn't that bad. I've heard "good" interviews are the ones that feel more like a conversation, and that's how today felt. My portfolio (the one I put together out of nowhere) actually saved my butt for 4 questions. I was able to whip it out and point to specific lessons/student work to back up my answer. I will NEVER go to an interview without it!

She toured me around the school afterwards, and even introduced me to some people, such as the Literacy Coach, saying, "You'd be working closely with so-and-so if you work here." That's a good sign, right? :D

My interview was about an hour and a half, then the tour about 20 minutes. She was very impressed with the questions I asked of her, and I know she was confident I had done some homework. As for the questions she asked me, I was releived that none of them were "earth-shattering." She's not the type to try to belittle a candidate with crazy, off-the-wall questions. I love that. Most of the things she asked were straightforward.

But I love her, too! She seems like a dream to work with! I am so excited! She mentioned that I have everything she's looking for, but that it comes down to open positions. She's still not sure what (if any :() will be open in the fall. But, she mentioned the possibility of 2 2nd grades and possibly 1 3rd grade...exactly what I'm looking for.

Wow, this was long! Sorry guys, but I'm just thrilled my first interview was a success. I truly thought I had bombed the screening interview at last Sat's job fair, so I'm relieved I got my chance to shine.

All your chances will come! Happy looking!

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 8, 2008

:2up:I am so glad that you had an excellent interview!!! I hope that they have a job opening for you.

26. smalltowngal

Apr 8, 2008

That is GREAT news, Pices!!! What questions did you ask after the interview?

Sounds promising!

27. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

WOW! That is fantastic. I am so happy for you that it went so great. Get out your TY right away. It sounds like you have a really good chance at this. :)

I am a little confused. Didn't you say that you were working on the cover letter for this school when they called and asked you to interview? How did they know about you? Sorry if I missed it.

Great Job

Lemon

28. smalltowngal

Apr 8, 2008

She had a pre-screening interview at a job fair.

29. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

Congrats!!! It sounds like it went really well!

30. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2008

Congrats! I'm so happy it went well for you. Don't forget to send the thank you note.

31. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 8, 2008

Oh, thank you note for SURE! What's the protocol? If I get it mailed on Thursday morning, is that too late? I work a double shift tomorrow and won't have time to write it till late tomorrow night. I *could* work on it now, but I want time to reflect, you know? Thoughts?

Things I asked during interview:
    1) What kinds of professional development can this school and/or district offer me?

2) (To the principal) Please describe your management style [I think she was impressed I had the guts to ask that]

3) Are there any major issues within the school/district that are going to be addressed this fall?

4) What is the policy on lesson plans? Are they turned in weekly? Or is having them accessable at all times okay? [The answer to this question was "no" and I was so happy...I do NOT want to have to turn in plans weekly She said keeping them on our desk for review is alright with her]

5) What kind of mentorship can I expect my first year?

I was worried I had too many questions, but she was pleased to answer them for me.

Oh, and Lemon, I did have a screening interview at last Sat's job fair, but I was worried I blew it. So I was writing a cover letter to try to redeem myself.

32. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

Wow!!! Your interview sounds like it went great. I hope they call you soon to offer you a position.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2008

You asked great questions, Pisces_Fish. Glad to hear your interview went well; hope you hear some positive news.

34. BioAngel

Apr 9, 2008

Congrads Hun on the job interview. I totally agree that the best ones are where it feels like a natural friendly conversation between two people instead of strangers chatting. It was the same way with my second interview--- or first one face-to-face since the first was over the phone--- for the place I'll be teaching at in September. And I'm glad your portfolio came in handy as well--- just remember to KEEP WORKING on it and improving (adding, fixing, changing) on it too. Even if you get the job, you should still keep it up-to-date if you ever get a call about a possibly better placement. :)

For my thank you cards, I didn't try going into too much detail. I actually went out and bought a bunch of thank you card sets (Target happened to be having a clearance on alot of them so I got them cheap) and one special thank you card for the class that I taught. And I hand wrote the cards as well--- after it was suggested to me for a more personal touch (plus I think it says something about a person who has nice hand writing now-a-days instead of us all typing up stuff).

Tell them honestly what you loved about the school and how you can see yourself working there. I was told later on when I went back to the school to be offered the position that the teacher read the card to the class and I praised her class once again to her too.

Even if they're not sure about a position being opened right now, they'll probably keep you on file to call right away--- they wouldn't want an awesome teacher to get away from them.

35. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 10, 2008

I just read those questions you asked. Those were fantastic!! I am keeping that list. You worded them perfectly.

Lemon

36. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 10, 2008

WOW!!! That's impressive!!! Excellent job!