I have an interview!!!!! Same school I toured OMG! now what?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tripletsteacher, May 21, 2008.

1. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 21, 2008

I can not believe it! The school I toured at last week called this morning to schedule an interview for next Wednesday. I had my pick of 5:30 pm-6:00 and 6:30. I was so excited that I chose the 6:00. Now I wish I had said the first or the last. This is the principal/librarian that told me she could not interview until after the teachers who were riffed were placed. Anyone know what could have happened since she is calling a week later? It is for a first grade position. I student taught second grade. My portfolio is not even finished -which I better get going on it!! Actually, I had a rather small one done but noticed many people are using these large filled binders now. I am terrified!!! I have not been on an interview in 7 years. Should I call back to find out if it is a team interview? The secretary said I did not need to bring anything-what should I bring? Sorry I am freaking out here already!

thanks!

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 21, 2008

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Apparently, they have placed all the riffed teachers. Sometimes it doesn't take very long. That's the way it worked in my district.

Anyways, you should get that portfolio together. What do you have so far? I taught first grade for six years, so if you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Now BREATHE!!! :)

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 21, 2008

Congrats! Put as much as you can that is relevent in your portfolio. This is great news :)

Good luck!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2008

I think you should start working on your portfolio to bring, and put together some mini portfolios that have your resume, philosophy of education, classroom management plan, etc.

6. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 21, 2008

Thanks!! I do not have it ready at all! We made a smaller version 7 years ago of a portfolio, but new college grads are making these large ones. This is what I am thinking-please advise:
    classroom management plan
    lesson plans
    philosophy of education
    something with technology-unsure here
    resumes,recommendations,evaluations etc
    parent communication
    student work
    What am I missing?
    OH, I just called the school in the middle of writing this and found out it is with 4- or 5 people.OMG

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 21, 2008

Add an section for assessments.

8. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 21, 2008

I wouldn't necessarily recommend a large portfolio. When I went for my exit interview from my graduate program, the licensing officer told me to take out most of what was in my portfolio. She said they don't often want to look at a lot of filler. I think what you're thinking is probably good enough - don't just throw stuff in to make it look bigger. I guess this is a case of quality, not quantity! haha.

Good luck!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

I agree with JunieBJones. I just used a mini-portfolio like STG suggested, with pictures and descriptions of the activities I've done in the classroom. I got it bound at Staples. You are welcome to copy. Go here to view:

http://www.mrs.uppman.com/7.html

Then I put it in a vinyl folder, in the right hand pocket. In the left hand pocket, I put my cover letter on top, then resume, then philosophy, then letters of rec, then copies of my certifications, then transcript if they wanted it. If you have a sample lesson, you could stick it behind your mini-portfolio.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 21, 2008

Stick with a smaller portfolio. The bigger ones have too much info, and it won't be looked at. Less is more!

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 21, 2008

I have one of these larger portfolios, along with mini-portfolios. My large portfolio is not intended as something I hand to the interviewers to just look at during the interview. It is my classroom in a binder. It is my samples that can be referenced for many interview questions. It helps paint a better picture of what I can do in the classroom. When they ask me about technology, I can show the district plan I helped create with a committee. When they ask me what my classroom would look like, I can show them my floorplan and pictures of my bulletin boards, centers, etc.

IMO, I would have both a reference portfolio and mini-portfolios.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 21, 2008

LOL

Triplets, hmmmmm you sound like someone I know. Oh yeah, me! Breathe girl breathe.

Congrats on the interview. Remember you only have 30 minutes so maybe mini portfolios you can leave behind are the way to go and then possibly a full sized one in case you need it. I have no idea so just do what the other people tell you to do.

If I had limited time, I would work on interview questions and less on a major portfolio.

Lemon

13. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 21, 2008

Congrats! I agree with Leon, I mean Lemon. Focus more on the interview questions than the port. I've only showed my port. a couple times.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

Good luck with the interview! The only way I have ever used a portfolio is to help back-up some of my answers. I also think the best thing you can do is to spend the bulk of your time on your answers to interview questions, rather than worrying about your portfolio.

15. Sheree

Sheree Companion

May 21, 2008

I agree with Jessica26. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE your interview questions. I would call the secretary back ask if it a group interview though. You want to be prepared. Many blessings:)

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

Congrats on the interview! I agree with the others- I was one of those who had a monster portfolio after college and my first year of teaching, but I would now mostly use a smaller one. Good luck!