I have an interview on Thursday.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bros, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

I just did the math, so far this year, I have spent $940.54 on netflix, video games, and other miscellaneous entertainment.

I think craigslist would be a bit sketchy. I've checked Care.com - couldn't see any people in my area who provided transportation, it was mostly people offering childcare services.

I am trying to follow the advice. I am listening to the advice that all of you are providing and I am thankful for it.

There is just so much advice, it is a bit difficult to try keep track of it and follow it all at the same time. Does that make sense?

2. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

The bulk of the advice comes down to this:

DO SOMETHING.

Get out of the house. Read education-related lit. Volunteer. Get your resume out there.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2014

Place an ad yourself--"20-something man, unable to drive, requires occasional driver in order to attend job interviews, appointments, and possible part-time employment. Hours variable; no evenings".

Putting my "mom" hat on now. If you want it, you need to go after it--giving it absolutely everything you have, and more. If you aren't willing to chase after your dream, you won't reach it; it's not going to come knocking at your door.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

I'll join the list of people who are DONE until you post something you have DONE.

5. kaytea1203

kaytea1203 Rookie

Oct 27, 2014

OMG seriously? I looked up the posting and it's in Summit, NJ. You told me what county you're from. I also have lived in Ocean County which is even farther south than your county. From where I live now (more north than Summit), it takes me about an hour drive. So, one way commute would probably take an hour, not 3. And if you are taking public transportation, so what? Sit there and read. I know people who commute that much every day, if not more.

My friend took a LTS that pays less than $100 per day, and she is swimming in student loans. But, guess what? She took it because she knows that this job will help her find the job of her dreams.

Additionally, many colleges have community-service based organizations. I'd reach out to your old college because I'm sure an organization would help you out with driving! Look into a service organizations where members could drive you to an interview, even if it's out of your radius. You need the experience.

DO SOMETHING, PLEASE :crosseyed:eek:

6. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

I cannot drive.

The train commute would be three hours.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2014

You seem to be reluctant to even entertain options to taxi or train for transportation. If you can't, or won't get anywhere. It's time to investigate, seriously, work at home opportunities.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2014

Making even a few grand a year is better than volunteering. You need experience more than money. You are fortunate to not actually NEED any additional income.

I'm with the people who said to hire a non-professional. I'd jump at the chance at making even just $20 a day driving someone somewhere.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

Okay. I'll apply.

I'd still get some SSI.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

What do your parents think? Do they push you to apply? Do they even pay attention to what you do all day? My mom would be all over me about it. I'm not saying your parents don't care (or should be making calls for you, etc) but you haven't mentioned them much even though you are living with them on a day to day basis. I would think they'd want you to get out as much as possible. Are they OK with you not working/volunteering/doing anything right now?

11. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 27, 2014

It's good experience, though, that you really need. You need to keep your resume looking good with continuous experience, or else you will be outshadowed by other qualified candidates.

But...wait...but...so then...you don't need the money??? Then apply for the job!!!! :dizzy:

12. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

They don't push me to apply. They know what I do all day. My dad wondering out loud quite a lot why I don't have a teaching job yet - it's subsided in recent months, as I think he realizes it is less likely after the school year starts (Unless I get a LTS position, of course). My mom wants me to get a job - but she recognizes my limitations. My dad doesn't. My mom has also been a bit distracted as of late - her boss has taken three day weekends (fridays off) the last 12 weeks - making it so my mom is on call the entire weekend, so she can't go anywhere except to the grocery store, pretty much.

And my parents are more worried about my brother at the moment, since he keeps failing classes (He failed the one class he needed to pass last semester to student teach)

I have no experience on my resume.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

New rule. Don't use the word "can't" or "cannot" unless you've included an alternative suggestion.

I cannot drive, the train commute would be three hours... so instead I will...

14. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 27, 2014

Good thought gr3teacher. This thread is going nowhere since bros doesn't recognize positive suggestions. He just says "can't" or "won't".

15. kaytea1203

kaytea1203 Rookie

Oct 27, 2014

"They know what I do all day" -->What do you do all day? This summer, after I graduated in May, I made my job hunt my full time job. If I was not job hunting or filling out applications, I was constantly tweaking my resume, catching up on reading, or coming up with lesson plans for my "future" classroom. My parents were constantly on me about finding a job and would join my search. My dad said if I didn't get a full time, I better be subbing to get experience in teaching. There really isn't any excuse as to why you shouldn't do the same.

You have no experience on your resume because you aren't allowing yourself to get that experience. In college, I tutored voluntarily two times every week. Was it sometimes a pain? Yes. Did I get paid? No. Was it an invaluable experience? Yes. Do I have a teaching right out of college? Yes.

You can do it if you put your mind to it :2cents:

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2014

Bros. You may want to teach and think you are capable of teaching but truthfully there's very little you've shared in your posts that instills confidence in believing you would be a successful and effective teacher. Because here's the truth bros... It's ALL ABOUT THE STUDENTS. not your commute or accomodations or how much your cab fare is. It's about effectively facilitating understanding for students, communicating progress and concerns to families, interacting with colleagues and administrators to improve practice and better serve students. You just haven't sent the message here that these are your strengths and it seems that message isn't coming through in the few short interviews you've had. There's lots of good advice on this thread, bros, but you might consider that this simply might not be a good fit career for you.

17. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

I wake up, check for jobs (usually 3 times a day), and am on the computer the entire day, with the exception of dinner and watching TV at night. I do not need to tweak my resume at this time as it is already good for its purpose - it is succinct and lists my qualifications and experience excellently. Here it is.

I apply to wherever I can reasonably travel to within my small bubble at this point in time - this radius may expand if any of these programs pan out for providing transportation.

I see no point to writing hypothetical lessons, other than to sharpen your skills.

I couldn't tutor voluntarily in college. When I wasn't in class, I was taking the train 1 1/2-2 hours there and back.

I have already applied to sub in multiple districts with no response.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

Yes, I do vent on here on occasion, so it may seem as if everything is negative.

One of the things I was constantly complimented on during my field experiences was my ability to make so many engaging lessons involving technology. I would use the SMART Board/projector/document cam/whatever was in the classroom to help bolster student understanding of the topic at hand. Of course, I wouldn't rely 100% on the technology, I would have lessons be using the SMART Board for Whole Group, then have them use pencil & paper for independent or small group work.

I can interact with colleagues and administrators - but I am much more at ease interacting with students.

I am not going to let my anxiety hold me back from the career I have wanted to have almost as long as I could remember.

19. comaba

comaba Cohort

Oct 27, 2014

Teaching, especially in the first year, is a rigorous job. It can be extremely stressful, and often is.

Are you capable of a demanding schedule that may require 10-12 hour days and stresses from parents, administrators, and students?

20. kaytea1203

kaytea1203 Rookie

Oct 27, 2014

"Hypothetical lessons" ... what I mean by writing lessons is coming up with ideas of things I would like to try in my class... not necessarily writing out a long lesson. In fact, I didn't write any lesson plans. I thought about the "lesson" I wanted to teach - what would I want my students to learn and how? For example, I knew I wanted to teach middle school ELA, so I focused on different reading strategies/activities and writing pieces I could teach one day. As a teacher, you're expected to have a bag of tricks. So, because I explored different activities, I am having an easier time planning right now. Again, this goes with keeping up with educational reading (other posters on this site had GREAT reading suggestions!) I read different strategy books this summer and thought "How could I one day incorporate this into my instruction?" You could also take a look at CCSS and consider different lessons/activities you could do for each standard. Seems silly, but I also made a lot of "templates" that I could pull from, even a template syllabus. When I was hired in August, I was/am so thankful because I find myself often going back to pre-made or pre-thoughtful items. If you think this is a waste of time, then why don't you make an online portfolio? You say you're good with technology, so this would be perfect! I put the link to my portfolio on my resume and got multiple compliments from interviewers. Maybe it's not necessary, but you should be doing everything you can to put yourself out there.

You can tutor now. I tutored at the town library. I met with a student for an hour twice a week. I'm sure you have a town library.

It worries me that you heard no response from any districts about subbing. I think a lot of districts in NJ will allow pretty much anyone with the proper cert to get on the sub list. I know my district is in need of subs.

And ok, so your resume is "succinct and lists qualifications and experience excellently." But guess what? My resume is double your resume. They say you're not supposed to go over a page, but I did because I had valuable experience that I felt could overall benefit my application. This summer, I went on 5 interviews and landed a job. Hypothetically, I am your competition. I also applied to a few jobs down south. Think about it...

21. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 27, 2014

bros, what are you doing on the computer all day long? Checking for jobs three times a day would take maybe 10 minutes. Are you just browsing the internet or really getting ideas for teaching? Yes, most schools want you to use techology but there is so much more to teaching. You have to put yourself out there no matter what. I doubt very much your resume is compelling...there is not teaching experience at all!! kaytea gave you great advice and I'm guessing she really was your competition!

22. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 27, 2014

That was exactly my point, which I think you're missing :( Unless you're motivated to get SOMETHING on your resume, you're going to be outshadowed by other candidates who have more classroom experience. That's just how it is.

23. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 28, 2014

This thread is like a car wreck you cannot look away from.

Bros…you're a defeatist. No matter what, you will find a reason not to do something. You are the complete opposite of me.

I was seriously injured while working in Afghanistan last year. Since returning I've had three surgeries and the four different doctors I had have all declared me to be as good as I'm going to get, which isn't anything like I was before being hurt. I receive Workers' Comp benefits (a weekly check), but it is less than 40% of what I was previously making. All the crap I went through working in Iraq and Afghanistan to save up money is now gone thanks to the high cost of living in Florida.

To top things off my illustrious career in law enforcement (20+ years) has effectively been flushed down the toilet because I can never return to that line of work.

Now, I could just sit on my butt and collect my weekly check, all the while being miserable and feeling sorry for myself. But, I have enrolled in a Master's in Education program, am simultaneously going to take a CELTA course next month, I tutor on the side, and I'm getting my packet together so I can apply to work as a substitute teacher when I return from the CELTA course. I cannot go right into a full-time teaching job because I don't have any traditional teaching experience, but at least I am taking steps to beef up my resume.

I make $21 per hour tutoring. The first client I got lives about 25 miles away and I tutor him in the ASVAB (military entrance exam) two hours a week every Sunday. My family asked why I bothered for such little pay, and my answer was "Because I now have $42 a week that I didn't have before, and I get to teach." I've since picked up two more clients that I also tutor two hours a week, so now I'm making $166 a week. I've already earned back the money I used to purchase tutoring materials, and will soon have enough to pay me back for the suit I bought, which is needed for future interviews.

Sign up on WyzAnt.com, post an add on Craigslist, and put up a flier at your local public library offering tutoring sessions. You don't even have to go to the clients…make the clients come to you for the lessons. There are also on-line tutoring options.

All I've read from you are excuses. If you're going to let such small obstacles keep you from pursuing a teaching career, then you might as well hang it up now and find something else to do because I have news for you…getting a teaching job is the easy part. Everything that comes after that is going to be much harder.

24. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 28, 2014

I can handle long days as long as I get 8-9 hours of sleep. During my student teaching (yes, yes, not a fully accurate predictor of things) I was able to handle the limited stressors I faced with some ease - most of the uneasiness was gone by the end of the student teaching - with the help of seeing my therapist weekly (And I have his phone number if I were to have a particularly stressful day and needed to talk to him ASAP - only needed to do that twice in four years).

What does your portfolio consist of?

I have a town library, but it is going to be under renovations soon, or at least they keep saying it will be - and the road it is on (which is the major road in town) has been having construction done on it since August - nobody can go down it past a certain point.

Well I applied to the district I live in in January, their responses ranged from "We'd like you to get your teaching certificate first" to "He's busy with state testing" to "He's busy with the end of the year" to "He's on summer vacation, call during the school year, he'll be busy all August" to "You're on the top of the pile for interviews - he just hasn't gotten around to them yet."

Other districts, i've applied to within the past three weeks at most.

I've been on four interviews and didn't land a job. Someone I graduated with went on 10 interviews and didn't get a job. The manager at my bank hasn't been able to get a teaching job in the over two years since he's graduated college. Someone I graduated with went on like five interviews and got a part time aide position.

I'm listening to music, maybe watching a TV show or a movie, checking my email, playing a game.

So you say the vague "put yourself out there" and decry me for being avoidant/obstinate in some of my responses. If you want someone to do something say what they should do. I have applied for numerous para positions (except the ones I cannot do that require toileting assistance or lifting) - no response.

Since September 29th, i've applied to 20 jobs (including sub positions) and received interview requests from two (the one I declined and the one that didn't hire me). September 5th-28th, I applied to 12 jobs, no response. August 5th-August 29th, I applied to 19 jobs, no response.

Do you want more?

I want to get something on my resume, I just can't take something that would be a net financial loss. If it were a slight net financial gain, like barely breaking even, I might be able to justify that to my dad - otherwise he would just get angry and not see the point in even applying to a job that'd cost too much if I got that I wouldn't even get if I interviewed.

I am not a defeatist. More a realist with dashes of optimism tainted by a lack of self-worth/self-confidence/self-anything.

Unlike you, I cannot travel 25 miles for $42. That would probably cover half of the cab fare one-way.

I don't know what your disabling condition(s) is/are, but I am guessing it is physical in nature, given the fact you have had surgery.

No offense intended whatsoever, but there is a difference between being born with a disability and acquiring one through life's travels. Someone with an acquired disability has the benefit of life before the disability.

Again, no offense meant.

Do you know of any non-sketchy online tutoring options? I've googled a few and they all look a tiny bit too sketchy for my liking.

25. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 28, 2014

At this point, I would not want my child in a class being taught by you. You do not seem to want this. You make excuses and use your disability as crutch to try and justify why you 'cant' do things.

Here is the thing: it's not that you cant, it's that you WONT.

You WONT entertain the idea of taking a train commute that may be slightly hindersome, but give you the experience you need.

You WONT do the research or listen to the advice that professionals in the field are telling you to do in order to get a job.

There was a Para at my High School who was paralyzed from the waist down. He still came to school everyday, rain or shine, he was beloved by all students and hands on in every school activity that he could possibly be. Everyone was devastated years later when he retired.

Now, don't you think at times, getting to work, doing day to day routines may have been hard for him? But he did it. Everyday without fail. There is no reason why you can't do it either.

Here is what I think, and it may be mean, it made be rude, but I'll be blunt. At this point, I don't think you have what it takes to be an educator. I don't think you have the slightest idea of what you're in for when you don't have a Master Teacher helping you. You may WANT to teach, and that's wonderful, but I don't think at this point it's going to happen to you. You don't seem to want it enough, to go that extra mile to get it. I hope you have a backup plan, even if it's bagging groceries or working at the local theater. You need to do something. There is no reason for you to sit on your butt all day at home and do nothing.

Here are a few questions. Answers like 'that wont/will never happen to me' are NOT acceptable answers.

1. Do you Think you are in the best interest of the students? Will they get the best education they can possibly get from you? Why or Why not.

2. You have a severe anxiety attack in the middle of class and are unable to teach. What do you do? How do you bounce back from it?

3. It's a last minute emergency. The principal needs you to help chaperone a field trip you were not supposed to go on. You found this out at 7:00am and the bus leaves at 8:15am with you on it. What do you do to get things prepared for the sub that day?

STOP using your disability as a crutch. STOP whining and STOP coming to professionals for advice unless you're willing to pull up your pants, listen and stop listing reasons of why you CAN'T do something.

26. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 28, 2014

And you're a grown man. Who cares if your dad gets mad. It's your life to live. Not his. He's not the one that's going to be s***wed when he passes away. You are.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 28, 2014

Libraries are okay for tutoring, but think about bookstores and coffeehouses and restaurants and mall food courts and other people's homes or even your own. (I've tutored in all of those except the last, plus IKEA's cafeteria, all-night diners, and even a park or two.)

How're you doing with the reading-instruction Web sites I suggested?

For the rest of your life, you're right. But to get started? Welcome to the world of the small businessperson. One doesn't get a return on investment without making the initial investment.

You have the luxury of not needing to pay living expenses, so you can afford to begin small. (Once again, it's simply the way this works.) It's possible to tutor and to consult via email and Skype, though there are also videoconference Web sites - free ones, yet - that offer virtual whiteboards and document display and text chat along with the audio; search Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com, for a number of possibilities, and you may find more on the Web.

To build your business, print up business cards and flyers and get copies to the local schools and the library, and most coffeehouses have message boards onto which one can thumbtack a business card.

Taking out a small running ad in the local community newspaper costs a little money but not a lot.

In addition, you could launch a blog - there are several perfectly good sites that host blogs for free - to get your name out there. I wish I could talk you into launching a blog for parents of kids in special ed. Have you ever looked over the responses you've given here on A to Z to questions about how special ed works or what to do when it doesn't? You've already got the beginnings of some good material, if you'll take advantage of it.

You could pull together a presentation on some aspect of special ed or special ed law that you've learned the hard way and offer it to the local PTAs: they don't always pay much, but if you can come across as a guy who has answers for parents who are new to dealing with special ed, word will spread and you may find that .

Good grief. Frankly, both you and your dad seem to have become accustomed to you being ineffectual. Are you happy to keep proving him right? If so, continue making the excuses you make.

If you'd rather change this, let me again recommend starting small. Here's an exercise:

1. Find one small thing that your dad has to do for you now and brainstorm a way to do it for yourself. For instance, you've mentioned that you need help getting your dress shirts buttoned - that might be something your mother does, but it will still do for purposes of illustration. One solution would be to hire a kid or a granny to attach snaps or hooks or zippers or Velcro - something that you can manage yourself - to your shirt plackets so the buttons are simply decorative. Another would be to include turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks in your wardrobe: a dressy turtleneck with an unbuttoned blazer works for businesswear.

2. Once you've implemented that thing, think about how it makes you feel.

3. Find the next small thing...

28. comaba

comaba Cohort

Oct 28, 2014

What will happen if you end up in a classroom with 25 kids who will not stop talking, will not listen to you, will not do any work? What will happen when neighboring teachers come to the room, clearly angry, to see what's going on? What will happen when the principal stops in, yells at the kids, then yells at you to get the class in order? And you don't have a break for another 2 hours, so you won't be able to call your therapist.

Teacher Groupie has made some very good suggestions of alternative career paths. You should consider them. I think I suggested advocacy a long time ago, in another thread. Unfortunately, you can't even imagine the stressors you'll face as a sub and as a classroom teacher, and with your anxiety, I don't know how you'll be able to handle it.

29. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 28, 2014

Ouch. The comments towards P Chang really offended me. I'm unsubscribing from this thread, something I should have done long ago.

You'll find success once you start looking for it, bros.

30. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 28, 2014

I think bros is caught in between feeling that he can be a teacher but having that dream realized.... Adding in his real life obstacles only makes it harder for him to fulfill his desire.

And I think what gets repeated over and over is this:

Everyone is in agreement that a larger commuting radius would enhance his chances of landing interviews that could turn into jobs. Since his radius is quite small, it just severely diminishes his chances. That's 22 pages of thread summarized in a couple of sentences....... If we were to remove the disabilities, lack of transportation, and bros still insisted on a short commute, then his chances of landing a job are remote independent of everything else.........

So, this begs 2 questions (1 real, 1 hypothetical).

a.) If commute distance cannot be increased, what will you do?

b.) If a guaranteed interview and position were 100 miles away, what would you do?

31. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 28, 2014

I meant "get yourself out there" and use the suggestions that so many have given. I didn't realize that I had to say it over and over again. You are just ignoring what is being said by making excuses.

Yes, you have applied for many positions but it just isn't enough. You need to ace the interviews.

And, if you are in such a tough teaching market and really want to teach, you are probably going to have to move somewhere where you can get a teaching job or just forget teaching and move on to another field.

I also agree that you were rude to PChang. Are you going to treat a student like that?

I'm sorry that you are in this situation but you really need to figure something out for yourself.

32. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 28, 2014

MsBlank and LouiseB…no worries…I didn't take any offense in what he wrote. I'm more baffled by his lack of drive and fortitude than anything else.

Bros…the difference between being born with a disability and acquiring one later in life is that you've had your entire life to get used to yours and learn how to overcome the limitations, whereas I've had less than a year.

As for a reputable tutoring company, I told you one in the post…WyzAnt. I believe they have an online tutoring option. Also, as previously mentioned, you can have the clients go to your home to receive the tutoring sessions. If your home isn't an ideal place, then certainly you can meet them at the library. Putting ads on Craigslist and hanging fliers up at the library are also ways to get clients.

But, I think we already know you won't do any of those things…but rather just find reasons why they cannot be done.

33. ILuvMyCello

ILuvMyCello Rookie

Oct 28, 2014

Bros, if you think a job will fall in your lap, you are very wrong. That's not how it works in this day and age. I would quit applying to jobs and find a work at home opportunity. You have received great advice which you constantly find a reason as to why you can't do it. I was at school 8-8 Friday and 8-7 last night because of my performances. From reading your posts you don't seem motivated to do anything but play video games. You also need to develop some social skills and the ability to relate to people. Your attitude through your posts does not reflect someone that would fit in a school family, and I think you were not very nice to P Chang.
    I'm really surprised admin hasn't locked this thread yet. This is a huge pity party thread!

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2014

Thank you for your service, PChang.:love:

35. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2014

:clap: First off, thank you for your service. Second of all, you wrote exactly what I was thinking in regards to the difference between being born with a disability and acquiring one later in life.

bros, I completely agree with what P Chang is saying here. Tutoring would be a great way to earn extra cash while gaining some experience. The plus that you have is that you don't necessarily need the money so you would be able to pick and choose which people to tutor. If it looks sketchy, you can choose not to call them. If you aren't comfortable meeting them at your house first, then meet them somewhere close by. Other posters have brought up great suggestions in order to help you. I'm going to add one more and that would be to put yourself out there in a small way socially. Go to a diner or the library or the park by yourself and at first just people watch. As you get comfortable with that, then choose someone to talk to, approach them and start up a conversation (ask for directions somewhere even if you know where you're going, ask for a recommendation on restaurants or where to get coffee, etc).

36. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 28, 2014

There's a difference between a 1 hour train commute and a 2 1/2 hour train commute.

I have applied to districts with the former, but not the latter. The latter is excessive. The former is, to borrow your phrase, "slightly burdensome" - as I would take a taxi to the train station ($10 including tip) then pay my reduced fare for the ticket. Most of these districts I have applied to are a bit north of me - but not too north, as some lines don't run trains that often.

What research am I not doing? I already got those books.

Yes, at times, getting to work may have been difficult to that para, but there are car modifications that can be performed in order to allow wheelchair bound individuals to operate a motor vehicle. Of course, cars don't work every time you want them to, so he may have faced an issue from time to time. The ease of solving the issue would've depended on the type of wheelchair he had and the county supports for people with disabilities.

I agree with you on some level, but not fully, that I may not be ready for teaching at this point in time - but I don't think it is through lack of effort. I am applying to places along the train line and places within a decent cab fare of my home. It's also why i've been applying to a lot more paraprofessional jobs than teaching jobs - It seems like a good way to get into a classroom and get my face known.

I would not be able to perform the task of bagging groceries as I cannot lift above five pounds - the amount increases to around 7-8 pounds after 39 weeks of occupational therapy and daily exercise, then drops to my 'normal' amount after cessation. I do not mean this as an excuse, simply a medical fact.

1. I believe that students could get an excellent education from me as I understand how students feel when they have difficulty grasping a concept, as I was once in their shoes, and as a result, I devised quite a few techniques to help me grasp the concepts, be it reading, spelling, grammar, math, or science - I remember techniques I used in elementary school (or was taught) for a variety of subjects.

2. I have never had a panic/anxiety attack, but let's assume I were to have one. I would sit down and do some quick breathing techniques my therapist has taught me, take a quick sip of water, apologize to the class, then get back to teaching - if any students have questions, just explain it in the simplest terms possible.

3. If I know the sub and I know they can execute my plans as is, I could just talk to them and make sure they understand what needs to be done. If I don't know the sub, assume the worst - that they are someone with 60 college credits and it is their first time subbing. Have the sub review what they covered the previous day in Math and for language arts, if they are reading a novel and I assigned a packet of questions to gauge understanding, I would assume a sub could lead a readthrough of a novel while stopping occasionally for students to write things down. If they aren't reading a novel - let's say just reading a story in the text - could have them do some kind of activity involving their vocabulary/spelling words perhaps have the students create flashcards, then split into pairs, and quiz each other on the vocabulary words.

1. Yes, there are other options. The closest would be Barnes & Noble - closest mall is near the school where I declined to interview.

2. Yes, I looked up close & cloze reading.

3. Traveling 25 miles in a state like Florida may be necessary to find a tutoring job, but NJ is the most densely populated state in the country.

4. With online tutoring, I just don't want to sign up for one that'll steal my information/never pay me/something else unsavory. If it is e-tutoring, I honestly don't care if I have to volunteer my time or not.

It might just be because I can't drink coffee, but I can't think of a coffeehouse near me - closest thing we have is a bagel place that sells coffee that everyone - from high schoolers to cops - love.

A classified ad for 7 days would cost $199 - can't find rates for the local community paper.

I could launch a blog, but it would need to find an audience.

I believe the local PTAs/the schools usually just have the State Parent Advocacy Network do presentations on special education law.

With shirts, that has been a difficulty for me. I know adaptive clothing exists, but none for people my age. Most of it is for the elderly. The most common thing I have seen is magnetic clasps for holding a shirt - but that seems like it could be a bit... loose.

I'd be able to handle that. I have a lot of... barriers built in my 'teacher' persona to resist such stressors until I get home.

I think you summarized it quite well.

a. I will keep applying to jobs and slowly expand my radius over the course of a few months.
    b. I would not be able to take it. A 100 mile commute would not be feasible - either i'd be in NY/CT going north (CT would probably require renting an apartment in CT, taking amtrak to get there and to get home on the weekend), PA going east, the Atlantic Ocean going west, or South Jersey (Like Cape May, looks like, from a site I am using to put a 100 mile radius around my town)/Delaware going south.

I did not mean any offense through my statement to PChang as indicated in the statement previous to my comments. Of course I would not treat a student like that because they would need my help.

I've signed up for WyzAnt.

to be continued

37. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 28, 2014

It would be ludicrous to expect a job to fall into my lap. There's a reason that there are stages of interviews that candidates are required to go through.

I am aware that I need to develop social skills - but I have been unable to find any nearby social skills groups for adults that meet more than four times a year.

My issue isn't with sketchy people - it's with sketchy looking tutoring websites that offer online-only tutoring.

And conversational skills are where I lack significantly - I am not good at small talk.

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 28, 2014

I was looking on Craigslist for possible tutoring positions (I have had good luck finding them in the past) and saw they had a job opening for an after school program. The kids go straight from school to the program and get help with homework, play games, etc. If you look maybe they have something like that in your area. If you can't find a job during school hours then after school is fine also.

39. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 28, 2014

I applied to Huntington Learning Center, heard nothing back. Applied to a local tutoring center, they called me, left a voicemail, told me to call them back to set up an interview - I called them back the next day, they said they couldn't find my resume anywhere on their desk and that they would call me back if they wanted to interview me. Never got a call back.

I hope all of you understand that I am not trying to be obstinate or difficult in my responses. I am responding in the way I know how. I know many find it off-putting how I can be robotic in responses, so I attempt to inject a bit of emotion into my responses. I honestly do appreciate all of you for trying to help me and providing me with such sage advice.

For example, I am applying to a job right now that was posted recently that is within a reasonable train distance - I would get on the train at 7 AM, get off at a station, walk 0.1 miles to a bus stop, then take the bus a certain number of stops to get within 0.2 miles of this school. It would make it so I arrive at the school by 8:15 AM (and they start at 9 AM). On the way home (The school day ends at 2:30 PM), I could either take a bus that departs at 3:10, transfer to another bus at 4 PM or 3:45 PM, then get to a place 1 mile from my house (then I would take a cab home) OR take a bus at 3:26, then take a train two stops at 4 PM, then get on another train and get to the train station near my house at 4:50 PM - or leave 4:10 PM, arrive home at 5:30, or leave 4:40 PM, arrive home at 5:30. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Let me check the fares - in the morning, it'd be $1 for bus and $1.75 for the train - and $8 in cab fare (pre-tip, so $10 after tip). Same in the afternoon - so it'd be $25.50 a day in various fares.

Should I fax my resume or mail it via USPS - they don't have an online application system.

(Also I just checked craigslist, there are like 10 listings in my area - half of them are people advertising that they are tutoring, one of them is a tutoring company looking for SAT tutors, another is a person looking for a programming tutor (I don't know the languages they need assistance with), another is a person looking for a french tutor, another is looking for a biology tutor and another is looking for an ESL tutor to teach their child English.

40. happybat4

happybat4 Rookie

Oct 28, 2014

I would dress up nicely and show up in person. Sound as enthusiastic and excited as you possible could be. Leave a good impression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.