I have an interview on Thursday.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bros, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

2. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

I'm just saying that it'll take time to get accommodations - probably 8-12 weeks if it is anything like the ETS.

Probably longer than that since I need to get stuff signed by doctors and I don't have any doctors who can sign off on the paperwork as my PCP doesn't fully understand the breadth of my disabilities and I haven't seen my new neurologist yet (as my old neurologist moved at the end of last month) and I can't see him until next year. But I think the site said that I could just have my DVR counselor sign paperwork.

So if I started the process on Monday, i'd probably be taking tests in 10-15 weeks at the earliest.

What's a TPA? Sounds like a bundle of fun.

So being certified in NY might make me more marketable in NJ?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2014

It's true that NYSTCE's next paper-based test is in January (there was one today, Oct. 25). That's more than enough time to request accommodation: at least since 1999, the deadline for requesting special accommodation has always been that date's regular registration deadline, and that's been true of both Praxis and Pearson (and Pearson's predecessor NES) since at least 1999.

But most of the NYSTCE tests you need have moved to computer-based format, which means they can be taken six days a week year-round, and I really don't see Pearson needing more time to accommodate for a computer-based test than for a paper-based one.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2014

I do believe that multiple certifications makes one appear more marketable on paper.
    Are you seriously considering the NY certification? Would you look for jobs in NY?

EdTPA : http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_annTPA.asp

My student teacher fulfilled her edTPA requirements during her placement with me. She will be certified in NY first since her college is in NY but then she will apply for NJ license.
    Not only will she be certified in two states but she'll have both gen Ed elementary and sped certs, plus has experience working in a preK/daycare setting (she works aftercare while ST).
    I've included her in everything since day one so she has training in Common Core math materials, reading workshop, has sat with me through writing an SGO, provided input on CST paperwork I was preparing, participated in back to school night and open school day...so her multiple certs and state licenses will make her a competitive candidate, but her experience is what will help her on interviews as she will be able to speak to a variety of strategies, materials and resources that she's actually used, not just read about.

5. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 25, 2014

I'm starting to think that all you are is full of excuses and 'poor mes' and nothing more.

6. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 25, 2014

Ok...so it might take awhile. But you'd be doing something productive that would help you in the long run...as opposed to what you're doing right now (which is nothing).

7. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

I'm used to the hell of the ETS accommodation process where it's a back and forth game of calling people over and over again to make sure they got a fax and didn't lose it again.

I think a NY cert might be of use, but I want to give NJ a good try first - I know that it takes people a while to get hired - I can't just expect to get hired my first year out of college in a highly competitive field.

So I can't provide an explanation for why I cannot do something? Okay. Thanks.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2014

A good try? By not even considering some sub jobs because you won't make much more than cab fare? By lying to districts and telling them you have already accepted a job rather than get experience through another interview? :dizzy:
    It IS a highly competitive field in a state which is saturated with highly qualified, experienced candidates. Candidates who interview well, have been working in schools in some capacity, who know their stuff because they have tried it....not read about it or heard about it in a college class. What are you doing to prepare yourself to compete?

9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 26, 2014

Are you really giving this job hunt in NJ a good try? It's been 10 months and you haven't done anything to add more to your resume or for interviewing. You have been lucky to get those few interviews but just aren't making the most of it. Do you really want to teach? It just looks to me that you really would rather just stay at home.

Why do we need to hear excuses? You are asking for help and all we hear are excuses. I don't mean to be rude but do something to make things happen. Don't just whine or complain or make excuses. If you can't give this an honest try, then just forget it and stay sitting at home.

I'm a sped teacher for junior high. We don't excuse disabilities because it is there and it is real. The fact is that I have to help them find a way to live their lives and be their own advocate so they strive to be productive citizens for what they CAN do!

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

Ok, now we're starting to get to the bottom of it.
    I think your problem is that you're thinking you won't get hired in your first year, because most people don't, so you won't even try.

Here's the thing: those candidate who are subbing, or getting some other type of classroom experience, applying everywhere (or selectively, either way) and are going on interviews, often take a year to get hired. Sometimes more, sometimes less. They are actually trying, and it still takes a while.

You're sitting at home, doing nothing = a waste of a year. When next year you're really going to try, it will take at least a year, probably more, because your interviewers will be wondering what you were doing during this year, why no one has hired you, not even subbing, etc.
    And with your disabilities, let's face it, it's going to be even harder.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 26, 2014

Have you read a reading book? Any of the books that were recommended?

12. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 26, 2014

Maybe you don't need the accommodations for the NY certification? I think it would be worth a try.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

I am not considering sub jobs beyond my very small application radius because beyond that, I would not be making any money (even cab fare) - my earnings would be in the negative.

How am I supposed to add anything to my resume if nobody will even interview me to put me on a sub list?

So i'm not making the most of my interviews? I can't help it if I mess up a little bit. I get really anxious during interviews. I am trying to make the most out of them. I get better with each interview. Of course, each interviewer asks different questions, so I can never be truly prepared for an interview.

I don't want to be subsiding off of SSI forever.

I'm trying to get on sub lists. I've been applying to jobs since March. Applied for subbing in my town in January. Applied to the district near me that posted a list for subs a few weeks ago. Heard nothing yet. One of the districts that I apply to contracts out to a third party company, which I have mentioned in the past. Others are not currently looking for substitutes.

Someone checked out the copy of The daily 5 from my county's library system. Hasn't returned it yet.

Though I could just buy The Daily 5 and the CAFE book in Kindle version on amazon.

If it requires HS level math, I need a calculator. Also, extended time reduces my anxiety greatly, and is how I got such a high score on the Praxis I and II

14. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 26, 2014

The NYSTCE has frameworks for all of their exams on their website. None of the exams you need to take cover high school math.

I'm sure extended time would reduce a lot of peoples' text anxiety. It sure would have made me freak out less when I took the math CST, but I got through it and did very well.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2014

Bros...a movie ticket costs at least $10, an order out pizza about $15, a glass of wine at happy hour at my local Irish Pub is $7...so you make about $15 after cab fare on a sub day (or maybe a few bucks in the hole)...consider it an investment. Nothing ventured, nothing gained bros.
    And I find the whole sub thing in your vicinity weird. We have enough teachers' (at least a hundred in district)professional development opportunities, maternity replacements, sick days, personal days to keep a small army of subs busy. And the preferred subs work nearly every day...especially if they are on the lsts of a few districts. Some days there just aren't enough subs to go around and teachers have been pulled from workshops as a result. :(

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2014

You can build your resume through volunteer work.

17. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 26, 2014

Are you freaking kidding me? That's your excuse? Somebody checked it out? BUY THAT BOOK! Since you have a hard time writing wiht a pencil, type up notes for each page. Use it as a tool and a guide. You're full of the most ridiculous excuses I have ever heard.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

It's one of my recommended accommodations - or testing in a room with minimal distractions (For the Praxis tests, I tested in a room by myself with a proctor looking in a window at me occasionally). I was able to complete the tests in a little over an hour, with over three hours allotted when counting extended time.

I'd be fine with making about $15 after cab fare. I wouldn't want to make $-15 after cab fare, though.

I find the sub thing in my area weird too. Like I know a few years ago, the district was hurting for subs and pretty much was accepting anyone who applied as a sub, but that was before I had 60 credits (and I was in the midst of applying for SSI, so I couldn't do anything to potentially jeopardize my case).

A few more districts added substitute teacher per diem positions to their applitrack sites the other day - I applied just before.

Yes.

Is there something wrong with trying to get the book for free from my local public library before just going out and buying it? Just trying the lowest cost option first.

(Also, I just bought The Daily Five, going to start reading it later. Don't need to take notes. I remember everything I read for years afterwards, including posts like these)

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

I have bought quite a few books to help become a better teacher, understand the students better, design better lessons and handle classroom management.
    I was a single mom, with $80 000 in student loan debt, but I considered all this an investment (which paid off, because I was able to quote some of the books I've read at interviews, and they all taught me something).

If I was in the situation of sitting at home not working, not making any money, not gaining any experience I could put on my resume, or I could sub in a place so far, that in the end I would not make any money, but I could put that job on my resume and describe some of my experiences at interviews, I would do it in a heartbeat.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2014

:thumb: even an out of pocket net 'expense' for a day of subbing is worth it for experience and resume building :2cents:. The OP has NO JOB EXPERIENCE OF ANY KIND.

21. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 26, 2014

I doubt that you, bros, have many expenses that you have to pay. I assume that your parents pay for everything that you need. I assume that the social security you are worried about is to have some spending money. I assume that you don't have any student loans (but you could.) What expenses do you have anyway? (you don't need to tell me what they are. A simple yes or not would suffice.) Are you still on your parents' insurance? I am not trying to point out your disabilities, etc. but trying to point out that you really don't have any expenses that you need to take care of. (Maybe student loans.) So you can spend the time/money as Linquist said.

You need to get some work experience in some field. I imagine that even for subbing, there must be something somewhere that states you need accommodations. I suspect that if this is the school you student taught or even went to, then they would have all the information. I doubt very much that a school wants to accommodate a sub.

22. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

My expenses are student loans (DVR only paid for 4 years) and I pay for part of a cell phone bill. I am still on my parents insurance and I also receive medicaid (as getting SSI in NJ = automatic medicaid).

I usually spend $10-$70 a month for entertainment (Netflix subscription, 1-2 video games - some months i'll get a cheap game or nothing - depends on my level of boredom)

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 26, 2014

Compared to those of us with car payments, mortgages, electric, gas, cable, internet, groceries, etc... You can afford to work for little return. You NEED the experience.

24. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 26, 2014

Thanks dgpiaffeteach, that's what I meant!

25. ILuvMyCello

ILuvMyCello Rookie

Oct 26, 2014

I'm really sorry I opened this thread and read through it all. However, I would like to say a few things.
    It is incredibly hard to get a teaching position these days. It is impossible to get one with no experience and no work history. I had a position in an affluent district last year and had to interview 12 times to get my position I have now-and I was not non renewed, I simply wanted to leave.
    Reading your posts, you do not seem motivated to work. Seems there is always an excuse or something else in the way. You are living in your parents house, but they won't always be there to take care of you.
    I have to imagine that what you are doing right now is not working for you. Do you have friends you can call up and hang out with? I would be incredibly lonely if I was doing what you were doing.
    If I were you, I would google "Work from Home" and find something, ANYTHING, that you could do at home. I know there are jobs where all you have to do is type, or make phone calls. I guarantee you doing SOMETHING would make you feel better. But I guarantee you, applying for any job in education right now with no work experience will be a waste of your time.

26. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 26, 2014

Agree with everything you are saying.

27. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 26, 2014

Have you considered the idea of working with hospitalized children that need to continue their education? My school district contracted with a company to tutor a student whenever they go into the hospital for extended periods of time due to their illness. Though you wouldn't have your own classroom you would still be involved with teaching. I am sure a google search would provide you with names of companies. If not try contacting hospitals in your area for names.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2014

bros, I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you want to be a teacher?

2. Do you believe that you are capable of being a teacher?

3. Do you believe that you are doing everything possible to land a teaching job?

29. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

I have no friends. The internet is my only social outlet. I believe the psychological term for what I have is clinically significant levels of social withdrawal, coupled with a touch of social phobia, and [as judged by the Social Security Administration] severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Yes, I believe something would make me feel better. I have felt somewhat despondent as of late as I am experiencing what my neuropsychologist predicted - boredom from lack of intellectually stimulating activities. I'm taking three courses on Coursera at the moment, but I finish the work for those in about 2-3 hours (including watching the lectures) then i'm done for the week.

I have already applied to companies in the area such as Education Inc - filed one with them a month or so ago, never heard anything. I know they currently have a job posting for Northern NJ, but that would be a three hour commute one way. There was one last month I did not apply to because I couldn't - my aunt works for that private school district and they have a rule against hiring relatives of any senior district officials.

1. Yes.

2. Yes, I just need some simple accommodations, which I am more than willing to provide myself.

3. My anxiety may be hindering me slightly in the job search. Anxiety has gripped me on occasion when the phone has rang if I have applied for a job in the past week or so.

30. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 27, 2014

Why don't you pretend that the three questions Caesar asked were during an interview? Use that opportunity to show what you CAN while answering those questions. Don't let any of your answers hinder you by your disabilities. Now go for it!

31. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

It's annoying seeing job postings in my county that I would qualify for, but can't get to due to transportation issues.

One I just saw is a LTS position from December until the rest of the year.

They will only pay $85 a day, no benefits.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2014

Did you consider the idea of hiring your own driver?

33. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2014

That's what I was going to say. You can hire a driver for $40 per day and still have more than half of your pay.

I keep wanting to say "Get off your butt!" You are like our adopted son here...that's why I can say that :)

34. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 27, 2014

But you currently have benefits, bros. You don't need them as long as you are on your fathers insurance plan and Medicaid, you really don't need benefits. So, I don't know why you are pointing out that the job has no benefits as a negative. It really is inconsequential.

I know several people who have taken LTS jobs with no benefits because they are married and are covered under the spouse's plan. They don't complain about the position having no benefits because they don't need them at the present time and are looking for the experience.

Also, what about Casesar's question? Did you look to find an alternate mode of transportation?

Also, did you call about the program you linked that would provide transportation and/or personal assistance if you ended up having to move for your job?

35. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

Lets just say I apply for this job. I'd earn about $72 net a day. Then let's say it costs $40 a day (Though most private driver services I have seen charge around $30 per hour, and require the driver to have a minimum of three hours of continuous work required - and requires the person who hires them to have a car) - I'd earn like $8000 or something after taxes for the LTS position. Let's say a driver costs $40 a day - that's around $4500 - or 56% of my take-home pay.

I actually have insurance through my mom ($72 a month versus $800 a month), but semantics :p

I didn't call that program yet. I wonder if they would be able to assist me with things like driving me to a job that is outside my current search radius - while still living at home. Since a lot of these positions with >2 hour commutes are only like 30-45 minute drives.

36. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

And? Say it with me...it's an investment. You're not in it for the money. $3,500 is a lot of video games and Netflix.

Also, did you notice several people said put an ad on Craigslist? It doesn't have to be a private driver. There might be a mom, or a someone looking for an extra income, that would jump on that.

I'll put it like I do to my perpetually-job searching sister...ANY amount is more than the NOTHING you're earning now.

And that's actually unnecessary and not funny.

We wonder too. That's why there are nearly 20 pages here, not to mention many many pages on other threads, of many many people asking you to pick up the phone and find out.

37. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2014

I'm not talking about a private driver service. I'm talking about hiring a person to drive you around, much like a person would hire a babysitter or a dogwalker or a lawnmower--not a company that provides that service, but an individual looking to make a couple of bucks on the side.

38. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 27, 2014

I wish you the best, bros, but I am done trying to help.

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2014

And your point is...?

40. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2014

Bros, we all enjoy talking to you here and getting your input on other threads, but we are all about burned out on advice we have offered you for the last few years. I think you are going to lose most of us on the topic of jobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.