I have an interview on Thursday.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bros, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2014

This sums it up quite nicely! :thumb:

2. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

My one cousin who lives near me works a 9-5 job. All of my neighbors fit into one of three categories:
    1. Elderly and do not drive anymore
    2. People in high school
    3. People who work 9-5 jobs

My mom can't drive that far anymore. My dad has no days off for the rest of the year.

If I earn over $530 in a month, the SSA can consider that a trial work period. If I earn over $770, it is considered performing substantial gainful activity.

At least the SSA just recertified me as disabled - so no medical review for another 3-5 years.

As I have stated in prior posts, I could not sub when I had 60 college credits. By the time I had 60 credits, I had just graduated from CC and was in the midst of fighting to get SSI. Then I was busy with schoolwork after that. I am not the kind of person who can take a large credit load a semester - I took 12-15 credit semesters and did well doing that. Adding additional stressors may have not turned out well, given my psychological state even two years ago.

Yes. I am supposed to appeal to the magical substitute teacher fairy and get on every sub list in the land regardless of whether or not I can afford it on my limited income - because I cannot drive like a person my age. Everyone expects someone in their 20s to drive. I don't look disabled on the outside so everyone thinks "Why doesn't he drive?"

I cannot drive.

This limits my opportunities significantly. I do not have the ability to just up and decide I want to go somewhere. It has to be planned at least 24 hours in advance in order to ensure I get a taxi if that is my method of transit. If I want to take county paratransit, I need 7 days notice.

I am limited to around 8 districts where it would be affordable to work in, let alone sub in.

I've applied to two districts to sub in. Three of the others have not posted listings for subs in the time I have been looking. One of them uses a sub service. The other two are on the far end of what I am looking at and would probably cost a fair amount in fare.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

It sort of looks like the sub thing might not work out, at least not anytime soon. Have you thought about what your next step will be? Are you going to continue to apply for teaching jobs in your district? Are you going to try another route, perhaps something related to advocacy?

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

So you apply to be a sub at schools near where your dad's travel route is. He drops you off early and you wait for the school to open. Then you wait at the end of the day for him to get off and pick you up.

Or you move into a group home for the disabled and get work there.

Or you move to a relative's home and get work there.

Or you continue to sit at home doing nothing and collecting ssi.

We all have choices in life.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I agree that subbing might be off the table for now. I would look for ANY job in a school that will give you experience. The only thing I suggest is not looking for a job where you will be in the classroom alone so an aide or assistant position would be helpful (heck, even a library aide or bus aide would give you experience with kids).

6. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I have been applying to teaching jobs that have been posted that are within a reasonable distance from my home - and some that aren't, but are accessible via a short train/taxi trip.

An example of one I didn't apply to is a district in my county that posted a job last week. The town it is in is maybe a 20 minute drive from my house.

It'd be $45 one way, no tip included to get to the school in that district for where the job was posted. So around $110 a day for taxi.

That district starts teachers off at around $55,000 - judging from public record. So that's around $3,000 a month after taxes.

$110 a day in taxi fares is around $2200 a month - which would leave me with somewhere close to $800 a month after just spending money on taxi's.

So I can't apply to that district, even though the position seemed like a good fit for me.

My dad leaves for work at 6 in the morning. He takes a bus that leaves right around the corner from our house. He gets home at 5:30-6:00 every day.

I have no idea where the nearest group home for the disabled would be.

Most of my relatives live near me (Like my uncle lives 5 minutes from my house, my other uncle is 20 minutes away, one aunt is 40 minutes away), other than my aunt in south jersey who works at a private school for HS students with disabilities, my aunt who lives in Vegas, and my dad's sister-in-law who lives in north carolina.

I have been applying for para jobs that I can do (ones that do not list in the requirements that toileting or lifting are requirements).

I don't think there are any library aide positions around here - most school libraries are run by the PTO in the elementary grades, then when it gets to the higher grades, a few districts usually share a librarian to go between the middle schools/high schools every x weeks

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Here we go again bros...more of you telling us what you CAN'T do.

What CAN you do?

I don't know how many times we have suggested this, but taking a taxi is the most inefficient and least cost effective method of transportation.

So if that isn't going to work, what IS?

I sense you're getting angry and frustrated, but so are we bros. We don't know what other advice to give you. Would you rather everyone just waited til you posted about your next interview, whenever that might be, and all post "Good Luck" and "Best wishes"! That would be easier on us and easier for you to read.

I'm sorry, but everyone is trying, TRYING, to give you constructive advice about how to proceed and you are throwing up roadblock after roadblock.

What next?

8. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

I was going to suggest this. It seems you're trying to apply to anything in education, though, so keep doing that.

Maybe I missed it, but do you live near any schools at all? Could you perhaps ask to volunteer? No pay, but if the school was close to you, the experience would be worth it (and you could definitely put it on your resume, which would close some gaps there).

Are there any public bus systems where you live?

9. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I know that taking a taxi isn't cost-effective, but I don't have any other choice. There isn't exactly a glut of quality public transit in this country.

I live near an elementary school, but construction is going on on the road it is down, so it would be about a 15-20 minute taxi ride to get there, versus a 2 minute taxi ride - wouldn't be able to walk there with the current detours either. Normally, i'd have to take at least one break on the way there while walking, but yeah. Middle school is about half a mile or 3/4ths of a mile away - I can't walk that distance (without a break, at least, which is what I did in middle school after my mom got full time employment). High school is about the same distance (and I would require 1-2 breaks when walking home from HS).

Basically, anywhere in the district I live in aside from two schools would be $8 one way (the aforementioned two schools would be $12 one way), which is not a burdensome expense - provided I wouldn't be volunteering daily.

Only buses from my town go to NYC.

10. kaytea1203

kaytea1203 Rookie

Oct 22, 2014

How did you get to college classes? Did you live on campus? I'm assuming no, so what was your means of transportation?

11. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I took a taxi to the train, then I took the train to another train station, then I would transfer to another train after a 50 minute wait, then I would take the train to the station nearest to my college, then I would walk about 15-25 minutes to class.

For the two times I had classes that ended late at night (past 6 PM), my dad would have to drive to the college as soon as he got home from work, as I cannot see in the dark with much clarity.

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2014

I would recommend volunteering for 1 day a week. Walking may be difficult, but if you schedule enough commuting time, you will be able to take as many breaks as you need.

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2014

Brainstorm some options - what are some things you know that you possibly *could* do, even if it might require a few steps?

14. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Could you elaborate? Do you mean in terms of volunteering? Working? Teaching?

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

Again, bros, where do YOU see YOURSELF? A class room position most likely will not be the best fit for you. What other jobs, career paths could you see yourself doing...and doing in a productive and fulfilling kind of manner?

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

Bros, if it isn't too personal, why is it that you can't drive? I know people who are paralyzed from the waist down who can drive with specialized controls in the car.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

Bros will weigh in, I'm sure, but i beleive he has shared before that this is due to his seizures...

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 22, 2014

The way I see it, transportation is an issue, plus a lack of experience. You can't get experience because of the transportation issue, without the experience you're not going to get the job. This can be said for any job.

So what are you going to do?

19. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2014

Yes.

(edit: tempting to leave the answer at that...but to clarify: brainstorm *any* possibilities...just like how you would have a kid brainstorm tons of possible ideas for their writing, and then they can go through and choose the one that best fits them, brainstorm tons of truly possible ideas and then go through and figure out what would work best for you)

20. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Ideally, a classroom position for a few years, then getting a masters and a LDT-C, and transition into being a case manager/LDT-C - as that is a position I could see my knowledge and expertise of special education law proving useful in.

Other than that, i'm not really good at anything. I have strong verbal abilities, but that only makes it so I am deft and succinct when writing formally - which, admittedly, I am very skilled at writing papers. Once, I wrote a 15 page research paper in 4-5 hours including doing the research and got an A on the paper.

It's a combination of my visual issues and my motor skills.

To elaborate - visually, my issues are low vision in the left eye (20/150 with glasses), accompanied by scattered defects in the field of vision of the left eye. I also have left amblyopia and latent nystagmus. In the right eye, the nystagmus is also an issue, but latent nystagmus is simply if one eye is closed/not seeing the same thing as the other eye, it spasms. My corrected vision in the right eye is 20/50. It is 20/70 uncorrected. 20/50 is just at the limit for NJ, so my opthalmologist approved my learners permit after giving me restrictions which included driving with glasses on, only on familiar roads, no driving at high speeds or on the Parkway, and no driving at night.

(My neurologist also approved of my driving, despite not being seizure free for 12 months, provided I only drove under close supervision)

So I took the permit and went to the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation's Driver Rehabilitation clinic. I was their first patient ever with dysgraphia - they didn't have it in their system when they were doing the intake paperwork. We paid for the initial $500 evaluation, which my aunt later paid us for (Because "i'm her favorite nephew") and Kessler referred us to NJ Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.

The initial results on the pre-driving evaluation were okay, not good, but I did better on some tests than expected (Primarily the trailmaking tests, which I completed in under half of the average) - but I had a delayed reaction time, impaired visual fields (could only see to 85 degrees in the right eye, and from 55 to 85 degrees in the left eye there was significant impairment), there was also issue with "Visual Saccades and Pursuits" which means fast tracking of objects, according to wikipedia.

With the behind the wheel evaluation, they noticed deficits in ability to use turn signals (I would have to look at my hand to get it to move and hit the thing), along with issues in acceleration & brake control, anticipation & scanning (I would be late to anticipate), I would also veer towards the left unintentionally, I had issues with acceleration and deceleration, and a few other things. However that was my first time driving, so the recommendation was that I receive 15 hours to improve my skills and help with consistency in driving ability. The state paid for 15 hours and at the end, the guy told me that he thought I plateaued around 4-5 lessons, but wanted to continue them in case I improved and because the state pre-paid for 15 hours.

In the end, a combination of my vision, motor coordination deficits and proprioception issues made it so I was cautioned not to drive. The individual at Kessler referred me to a behavioral optometrist saying that if he said I should try driving some more, he would ask the state for my lessons. That doctor said no, then accused me of having multiple genetic disorders. So I can't drive. If I were able to drive, I would need a car with a few accommodations, with at least a low-effort steering wheel. However, my vision has decreased since I had those lessons. I am unsure as to if my vision is still 20/50 with glasses.

The seizures just make it so I can't drive until I am six months seizure free per NJ law (and if I were to have a license, my neurologist would be required to report the seizures to NJ MVC).

It is quite the conundrum, isn't it?

I'm going to keep applying to positions and see what I can get - hopefully I get something - even if it is a 4 hour a day para position four days a week. I've applied to tutoring places, too, but most of them have shut down in recent years, given the advent of sites where people can hire local tutors who can drive to their homes.

For occupations, my neuropsychologist suggested writing - but that is more of a hobby and he said as much, as only a small fraction of authors ever earn a living from what they write. I've taken a fiction writing course and I am not good at it. I am horrible at writing dialogue. Now if I were writing a book about myself and my disabilities, that would be an easy task.

My neuropsychologist also said that given my high verbal abilities (VCI is in the 99th percentile), it would be interesting to see my verbal scores on a test such as the LSAT - as the legal profession is filled with tasks that you can sink your teeth into, verbally speaking.

The career assessment done by the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation said I would be excellent in any clerical position or editing position - as my abilities with both are in the 99th percentile.

According to the Woodcock Johnson, most of my verbal abilities are >18.0 grade equivalent (with my academic knowledge in my second year of college being that of someone in their second year of graduate school).

21. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2014

Thinking more short-term. What are some possibilities for what you think you could do right now? Just brainstorm ...get tons of ideas out onto the page, even if they might be completely free of some kind of deficit. Not what others have said, but what you believe. Right now. Tomorrow. Or within the next week. Jobs. Volunteering. Studying. Anything!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

Bros, I'm a NJ teacher. I know the rigorous demands of the curriculum, evals, SGOs..you really have no idea. The idea of being in a class room for a few years is potentially and realistically a pipe dream. Being a LDTC involves strong interpersonal, communication skills, a solid and successful background experience in teaching and the respect of olleagues...do you really think either of these positions fit within your emotional/educational skills set?

I'm also a NJ driver. I'm thankful to not share the road with those who share your health concerns..

:sorry:

23. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 23, 2014

In a classroom I am different than I am online. I still have the same organizational skills, but I have coping mechanisms for my organizational deficits.

Right now, I do not see being a LDT-C fitting my emotional skill set - I certainly have the knowledge. I need group social skills therapy/training, but none are available for adults in my county, at least when I last checked like six months ago.

Your reticence about me driving is completely understandable. I had the exact same worries during the lessons. My dad didn't, he thought I should be able to drive "because that's what people do" (He doesn't truly understand how much my disabilities impact my ability to perform "easy" activities - perhaps he is just used to me not being able to do certain things). My mom was 30/70 on me being able to drive. Heck, my second lesson, I crashed the car that Kessler provided - hit a curb at 30 mph because I mixed up the pedals, hopped the curb, popped both passenger side tires and bent the front passenger rim.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 23, 2014

Your neuropsych is guilty of insufficient imagination, among other things. It's entirely possible to use nonfiction writing as a way to establish a reputation, and other doors could open from there. What if you were to start a blog on special education in New Jersey from the point of view of someone who's gone through the system? If you were to put in the time and the work to research and post daily or several times a week, this would provide evidence of your ability to set goals and a self-directed work schedule. More to the point, it could become a valuable resource for parents and educators, and that in turn might enable you to market yourself as a consultant and even perhaps a speaker.

25. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 23, 2014

True - he was just giving a few ideas during the meeting where he provided the results.

Today I applied to two districts - one for a Para job and another for an Instructional Assistant job and a Para job.

26. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 23, 2014

Just got a phone call from a school I applied to back in like May when they had a teacher position. They want to interview me for a teacher assistant position. It's a private school for students with multiple disabilities.

27. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 23, 2014

Excellent! When's your interview?

28. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 23, 2014

I missed the call - I was on the phone with dad at the time regarding insurance issues, so the call from the school went to voicemail, and I didn't notice the voicemail until about 20 minutes ago - after the school closed for the day - so I will call tomorrow.

29. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 23, 2014

Whenever you get an email like that, I'd recommend calling back immediately. You never know who might be in the office, and even if nobody is there to answer, your voicemail will be the first thing that somebody hears in the morning.

30. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I told my dad about it and we figured out the financials and he and my therapist both said it would not be advisable to go to the interview or take the position if it were offered - there is no convenient public transit to the area (2.5 hours one way) and it would cost $100 round trip via taxi every day, or around $2000 a month.

So tomorrow i'm going to call them and decline the interview and thank them for their consideration.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2014

Bros, are there no low-cost transportation options available for people with disabilities? Would a taxi company offer a reduced rate for a daily trip (they do for our students who need to taxi to school)? Perhaps you could advertise for a "driver"--you could likely find someone who has retired, a stay-at-home parent, a college student or someone else who would welcome earning a little extra income for driving you--you could pay gas, and a fee per trip or per hour.

You'll definitely need to start thinking outside of the box if you hope to land any type of full-time job (or even attend interviews).

32. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2014

Was this really necessary?

I understand that people here have bros's best interests at heart and want to help, but a lot of this is just plain rude. I don't think bros ever mentioned that it was unfair that someone with his health concerns isn't allowed to drive.

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2014

This is a great idea.

34. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

There is the county disability transit, they are $4 one way in county, but they state whenever you schedule something with them (and they require a 7 day notice or else they will not pick someone up) they will arrive +/- 2 hours from when you schedule the pick up.

So that is out of the question.

The taxi is not like a taxi in a big city. It's just a car service with like 15-20 cars, if that. They already give me a discount - their fare in town is normally $10, they reduced it to $8 after my dad called them once and yelled at them for taking me on a 30 minute detour, including driving right past my house and not stopping even when I asked. So I already get a discount from them. They offer no discounts for frequent usage.

There are programs offered by the state that might be able to assist me, but I am unsure if I qualify for them, as they seemed to be geared more towards the elderly rather than the disabled - and i'm unsure as to if I am declared permanently disabled by the SSA, I know I am declared severely disabled, though.

What do you think?

http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dds/projects/pasp/index.html

http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dds/projects/discoverability/

http://bianj.org/Websites/bianj/images/njworkability.pdf

I took the comment in jest, as it is true. I wouldn't want to be on the road with me either.

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2014

bros, MrsC's idea really is a good one. There are always people advertising for personal helper services like running errands, grocery shopping, etc. I'm practically certain that you could find someone in your area who would be willing to drive you around for a reasonable rate. You could post on sites like Care.com or Craigslist or similar where you describe the type of work you need and what you'd be willing to pay. You can conduct interviews and select the best fit. It sounds like a great solution to your problem.

36. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2014

I think you didn't look at the links you provided. That's what I think.

Here is just a bit that I cut and pasted from the first link.

PASP Eligibility
    To be eligible for PASP, applicants must be: ##a New Jersey resident
    ##physically disabled
    ##between 18 and 70 years old
    ##living in the community
    ##capable of directing and supervising their own services
    ##employed, preparing for employment, in school, or actively volunteering in the community

Why don't you call them?

37. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I assume I would qualify as physically disabled, since I do have muscle weakness - but my coordination is neurological, but it affects me physically.

38. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2014

Why don't you call them? It is certainly better to know if you qualify and that there may be ways for you to attain your goals instead of using the roadblocks as ways to not attain your goal.

39. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

Well I won't be able to get them to do anything by next week, so I won't be able to go on this interview, but it is a useful thing to pursue for future interviews.

40. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2014

Bros, I didn't think that it would be something that could be set up in the short term for this interview. However, you and your therapist decided that you couldn't even take the job if you were able to get to the interview and were hired because of the costs. Every hour you sit back and not find out what you qualify for sets you back from your goals. Call today. Offices are not yet closed.

I do have to ask you why you applied for a position you knew you wouldn't be able to accept because you had no transportation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.