I have an Interview- CAN U PLEASE HELP ME?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jobsearching101, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Jun 30, 2009

So a friend of a friend got me an interview for kindergarten (which I have never taught). I'm so thankful that I at least have an interview...I have never interviewed in the summer time- WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?? Also, what kinds of questions might they ask for a kinder position? PLEASE HELP!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

I would wear what you would normally wear. On my interviews, I've worn professional short sleeve blouses with black slacks and black kitten heel shoes.

Good luck!

4. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jun 30, 2009

instead of going with the stereotypical pantsuit..I've recently had 2 interviews in the same school and the first one:

I skirt suit- however- it is a young style...WHITE, with khaki colored pinstripes- SHORT SLEEVE with a brown belt thing that went around the waste. It was super cute, very professional, and NOT the typical suit they see over and over. Got it on clearance in the Juniors section (NOT THE SUIT SECTION) at macy's.

The second interview- I wore a VERY professional, sophisticated "businessy" dress...the top was a black blouse, also had a belt around the waste, and went to the knee. It was from Maurices..super cute.

http://www.maurices.com/styles_wearwork6.htm

It was however closer to the knee on me (surprising since i'm 5'7")...and black on top. But that style.

I think the interviewer just wants to see that you put an effort into looking nice. I didn't want to look frumpy. I wanted to show my personality, look young and fresh, yet professional. I know some people would swear on only a "pantsuit"- but I want the employer to see my true personality.

5. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

Have you taught other grades? Many questions will likely be the same. For kindergarten, make sure you can clearly articulate a classroom management plan and be ready to answer questions about early literacy. Phonemic awareness, invented spelling...

Wear a suit or a dressy outfit just as you would for any other grade level. I think a general rule of thumb is to dress one step dressier than you would for the job.

Good luck!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

Iteach~that is adorable, but surely wouldn't look that good on me since I need to lose a few lbs!

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 1, 2009

I wore a cute dress with a thin sweater because the dress had no sleeve just a wide strap. It was flowery and fitted. I wore the cutest blue 1 inch sandals (which my Boston Terrier ate later). My outfit came from Ann Taylor Loft. It was fun and showed my personality. I think that most people are right. As long as you look professional, you will be fine. And STG- I need to lose a few lbs. too. This move has stressed me into gaining a few inches that I have never had. Let's go on a diet, run and work out! I need to unstress myself and get healthier!

8. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

i got asked about parent communication, what would I do if I had a student who might need to be retained, classroom management, weakness and strength...a lot of the typical interview questions. this was during my K interview last year

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

I interviewed in the summer in Texas so I understand the summer can seem like it would be too stuffy to wear a suit, but I would go for it. I wore a suit with pants and a nice shirt underneath. Once I entered the interview room I judged based on their attire if I could take off the jacket part or not. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't.

Good luck:thumb:

10. RFC

RFC Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

My sister was just on a panel for a kindergarten interview, here are some of the questions (aside from the obvious, "Tell us about yourself"):

-Discuss your approach to teaching math. (Find out what there math program is)
    -Discuss your approach to teaching language arts.
    -What planning do you need to do to get ready for the school year?
    -How will you involve parents in your classroom?
    -How do you assess students formally and informally?
    -What info do you hope to gain from an assessment and how will you use it?
    -What is your classroom management plan?
    -How do you incorporate character education into your classroom?

Good luck! I hope that helps!