I have a thief

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sshintaku, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

I've recently acquired an all new 5th period, as one of our other English teachers "quit" mid-year. After I acquired this class, I've noticed a lot of things have been walking out of my room.

I had $20 taken out of my purse.
    Today, I just discovered that my root words book I use for homework assignments has gone missing.

I am irritated beyond belief. I do not leave valuables out in plain sight, I do not turn my back on my kids. Someone is very very good, and sneaky, to be getting away with this.

And really, a root words book? WHY WOULD YOU STEAL THAT??? :mad:

I'm not even sure how to proceed at this point, but we're going to have a little chat in 5th period today, that's for sure.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 8, 2011

No book, no homework?

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I have a separate office where I keep my personal items and caught a student in there one day. I stopped taking in my purse and basically take in enough change for my soda at lunch.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2011

I am sure they take it to take it. I remember my brother used to steal stuff from school all the time. He didn't want the stuff, he just thought it was funny to be able to pull one over on the teacher. I have kids do the same thing. Someone stole the binder off my desk that I took attendance in and had other things like book assignments, when I had a sub. No one wants that, they just want to mess me up.

6. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

Any suggestions? I'm wondering if bringing it up will just give the thief satisfaction by getting attention from me.

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I had a student showing a lot of interest in my colored paper clips a few years back. When his class left, my paperclip dispenser was there, just totally empty. I went to his next class, pulled him out and demanded them back. I think I freaked him out and got the paper clips back. He was in 7th grade. When he was a senior he said "Remember when I took those paperclips. You were serious about those things."

Maybe you need to set a trap to try and catch the guilty party and then confront them.

8. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Mar 8, 2011

Wow I thought one of the first graders in my class was bad but he just stole glue and scissors. I have no idea why but when we realized what he was doing he had about 6 glue bottles and 3 pairs of scissors. It was crazy!

9. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

Webcams are cheap. Get one that uses a USB to plug into your computer and record the classroom or your desk.

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 8, 2011

Unless you think bringing it up will eventually flush out the bandit, I think I would want to think of a way (e.g. a sting, like others mentioned) to find the guilty party.

11. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Mar 8, 2011

I wouldnt...I think it would give them satisfaction...as a couple others have suggested...try and set a trap...the best thing one of my teachers did was he purposely left his room unlocked and hid a camera in a duffel bag and had it on his desk...sure enough some money went missing and he found out who it was on the camera...the student was a senior with only a few months left of school...so dumb, but great idea by the teacher.

12. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

Thanks for the ideas guys. I might just have to set up a camera in the corner.

13. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

Be careful about that. You might not be allowed to tape students without their parents' knowledge and/or permission.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 9, 2011

Do they have their parents' permission to steal?

Sorry, that was snarky, but really...there is a thief in the midst. Seems like those who are uptight about taping might be those who are doing the stealing...

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2011

A couple of years ago I caught a custodian stealing pop out of the fridge in my classroom. When I reported it, my supervising administrator told me I was within my rights to point a camera at my personal belongings as a means of safeguarding them. Evidently it's okay in some districts, but it's definitely worth looking into.

16. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

I just don't think the decision to install a hidden or obvious video camera in a classroom should be taken lightly or done without administration's permission. Getting in trouble for such taping would be worse than being uptight.