I have a mouse problem!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by StudentTeach, Mar 26, 2011.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Mar 26, 2011

I was gone on Thursday night, came home on Friday and there were mouse droppings in my sink and on my counter. I disinfected all the counters and sinks and let it dry overnight. This morning I went back into the kitchen and again there are mouse droppings on all three parts of my counters. I'm so disgusted right now. We don't leave food out or dirty dishes in the sink so I don't know why it keeps coming back! I'm really hoping I don't have to set up traps because if I see a dead mouse on my counter I think I'll forever lose my appetite. Anyone else have this problem?? I wish we could get a cat but my roommate is allergic!

3. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 26, 2011

I had the same problem, and like you did not leave any food or crumbs out. Get the enclosed traps - you will never see the mouse at all. There is an indicator that tells you whether it has caught a mouse or not, and you just throw it out. Not gross at all.

4. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Mar 26, 2011

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2011

Disinfecting isn't going to keep mice away...often they come in Seeking not only food, but water...if you are renting, ask the landlord to have a pest control come. The enclosed traps will help with the ones you have now but won't deter the ones who come later...

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2011

I had a lovely dream about mice just last night. I adore them. But I do understand not everyone does, and I certainly understand the ick factor not to mention potential health concerns from droppings on your counter.

There are no-kill traps that enclose the mice and you are able to set the free in a field or elsewhere...just to put that out there.

And I will take this opportunity to beg, beg, beg for no one to ever buy those horrible glue traps. What I saw on one of those at work will never leave my mind.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2011

Justme, I've used those no-kill traps. I had to hunt for them though. :( Sad that so many people kill them without much of a thought.

We caught the mouse and released him back into the wild.
    We named him Gimpy.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2011

They're available on Amazon...got to love that place! :)

Here's a picture of a cutie I released last fall. I think I've posted this before...

[​IMG]

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2011

I believe we got ours at Home Depot (or Lowe's, or OSH). I do remember it was one of those home improvement stores. We first went to Target and then to a few drug stores and found that they only sold kill traps.

Picture of Gimpy before we released him.
    [​IMG]

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 26, 2011

I had a rat problem in my shop. There is cow food out there, but its stored in tubs so they cant get to it they were seeking a warmer place this winter.

The black plastic traps work the best. I live out in the country so they have lots of field to be in, but rats caused six hundred dollars to my car so they had to be dealt with.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 26, 2011

I also would only ever use a live trap. I'm not sure I would ever be able to kill an animal.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 26, 2011

Live traps that allow release are the only type I've used. I've never had a problem, but a past boyfriend did. We released several in a park on the edge of town.

13. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 26, 2011

These pictures are giving me nightmares!!!!!! I'm scared to death of rodents!

14. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Mar 26, 2011

I seem to have a little mouse problem too. I read about a way to catch them from your counter. Take a paper towel roll and put some peanut butter inside one end of it. Ballance it on the edge of your counter with the peanut butter side hanging over a container.
    Put a tall container on the floor under the paper towel roll. The idea is that the mouse crawls through the tube to get the peanut butter and then the weight makes the tube fall into the container. The next day you can release him far away from your home.
    I really wanted to try this, but ours hasn't left any evidence that he's on the counter.

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2011

I prefer the natural way with a cat or a dog (yes dogs do keep mice away).

My grandmother had "Rat dogs" that kept the rats out of the corn crib.
    "Rat dogs" are just like hunting dogs except they hunt rodents. She had two "Rat dogs" a Dachshund and a German Shepherd, the Dachshund would go in after them and the German Shepherd would get them as they came out! They were a good team very few rodents in her corn

16. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 26, 2011

We have a fox terrier - a true rodent dog. She's been known to go through about 20 ground squirrels in less than 1 minute and obsesses about any brown rodent anywhere she finds them. She is brutal on the mice in our yard.

While I can understand why many of you release trapped mice, you might want to think twice about doing that. It is cruel to release an animal away from its home. Many animals establish territories and will fight to keep new animals away. They are also being released where they don't know where the food and water is. I would rather kill an animal quickly then place it in a situation where it could starve to death, die of dehydration, die of exposure, or be in a place where it can't find a safe place. I used to only want to release animals away from where they are causing problems, but my husband explained what often happens to animals that are relocated - they usually end up dying, but it generally isn't a quick death. Just something to think about.

One more thing, go through your entire house and look for places where mice can get in the house. They only need a 1/2 inch of crawl space, so you'll have to look carefully. Fill all holes with steel wool, making sure you completely surround all pipes.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2011

Thankfully it's not a problem I have to deal with often, but based on what I've read I don't think I will ever allow for killing mice traps in my home and will instead continue to release mice. Mother Nature is one thing; me just not liking an animal and killing it is another. I don't consider myself cruel for returning a field mouse back to the field. Even if it dies shortly thereafter. Life can be harsh, although I wish that were not the case. Of course I take into consideration certain factors such as whether or not a mother is clearly nursing, freezing conditions, and so forth. In some cases, I'd just prefer the mice to live with us. But I know that's not exactly...normal.

My husband has done a great job of preventing the critters from entering in the first place after we had our first run-in with them.

This said, anything is better than glue traps...I would much prefer snap trap to those horrible, horrible creations.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2011

Oh yes those glue traps are terrible!
    I worked one summer in a supermarket's recycle warehouse (all the damaged boxes and cans) and they used glue traps, we would find mice every morning and some times they would still be alive....... mice do have vocal cords, scary... and sad ...

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2011

Well, in our case, the mouse was coming in from the fields in the back of the house, so out it went, back to where it came from.

But, I'm with JustMe.

20. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Mar 27, 2011

My school uses glue traps...it's terrible. Whenever I see them I "accidentally" drop a piece of paper on the sticky side. I would rather see a mouse once in a while than watch one suffer on those traps.