I have a grant, what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Outdoorz, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Oct 23, 2014

Okay, so I'm just applying for a grant, but it's through our district and pretty much anyone who applies gets it. It's for $200 and I want math stuff, particularly base 10 blocks. Where can I buy these online? What other math manipulatives would you recommend for 5th grade. We teach the common core, but this is my first year so I am not super familiar with it. What do you think of geo boards? Or is there something else better?

Thanks so much!

3. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 24, 2014

I student taught in a fifth grade classroom last year and the students used these mats and manipulatives to help learn how to balance equations. They *loved* using them. It was like a game. And it really did translate to written equations when we moved to that. $200 wouldn't be enough for a class set but you might be able to buy a few. Or there might be something more affordable like that out there.

http://www.borenson.com/tabid/917/Default.aspx

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2014

I like that Lakeshore has a lot of magnetic math manipulatives. I have big magnetic fraction circles and strips and base ten blocks. We used them a lot last year.