I have a few job interviews this week any advice? One is for a p/t job. Two are for

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tgpii, May 1, 2012.

1. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 1, 2012

I have a few job interviews this week any advice? One is for a p/t job. Two are for F/T. The one place that I would like the job at I called back from some phone/email traffic of last week. They said they got my messages. (So why didn't they respond?) It is a full time small national chain in an area I am trying to relocate to. One is at a private montessori school grades birth through 8th grade. It is p/t. One is at a mom and pop daycare I think it is f/t.
    Anyways I got an interview with them. Any advice. :dizzy::confused::confused:

3. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 1, 2012

1. Bring a portfolio

2. Study potential interview questions

3. Give it your best

I have more less interviewed the same way for many positions. Some you get and some you don't. A lot of the times you don't get a job, because of factors beyond your control (internal hire, budget cuts, wanted someone new with little experience they could mold, wanted someone with lots of experience, etc). You never know!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 1, 2012

Do you have specific questions? General advice...know your content, be confident, and lose the bitterness about the fact that they don't call you back.

5. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 1, 2012

Last job offer I got was minimum wage. The distance the daycare was from my home, I would lose money.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2012

Given the numbers of people competing for very few jobs, know that the ball is in their court. Yes, I know that job satisfaction is important, but the reality is that THEY are interviewing you, not the reverse. So make sure that everything about your interview illustrates not why you want to work there, but why THEY want YOU. Prove to them that you are the candidate they've been searching for, that you can fill their need in a way that other candidates cannot.

It's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and too many people on interviews unintentionally cross that line, so be careful.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2012

Pay is a factor but daycare, corporate or mom and pop, don't always pay so well. Figure out what your minimal acceptable offer is...

8. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 1, 2012

You quoted another poster when you gave this response, but I'm not sure how it ties in. Did you have a question about the pay scale??

Try to be very clear when you communicate. I know I've had trouble understanding some of your posts. Practice interviewing with someone whose professional advice you trust...think of what you want to say and speak (or write, on applications) clearly.

Finally, a small request...please put a title on your posts. It helps us know the main idea of your post and it helps people decide whether or not they want to view and/or respond to the post. It also helps others out who may have some of the same questions and can see that you've already posted a question on that topic. Thank you :)

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 1, 2012

also didn't you already have a couple of threads about this very same thing? As far as I can remember, overall, everyone agreed that some employers will call you back to let you know you didn't get the job, but a lot of them won't, and there's really nothing you can do.
    So why keep beating the dead horse, I don't know if we can offer you better advice after 2 weeks?

10. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 2, 2012

To Whom It May Concern:
    Thank you for taking the time to help me with my career search. I am grateful for the time you spent reviewing my career objectives and recommending strategies for achieving them.
    I plan on using what you gave me right away. I will also use online networking resources you recommended further my job search.
    Any additional suggestions you may have would be welcome. Such as a reference, networking, or anything else you might think of. I'll update you as my search progresses.
    Again, thank you so much for your help. I greatly appreciate the assistance you have provided me. Attached to this email are copies of my transcripts and other certifications.
    Best Regards,

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 2, 2012

I admit to being very confused.

Was that an open letter to us? If so, then I'm not sure why we would want your transcripts or certifications. Also, why are you asking for additional suggestions, then listing them?

If this is going out to someone not on this forum, then I honestly don't see the point either. Unless you're working with an employment agency or job placement center, then I'm not sure you're going to get much of a response. Most people are too busy in their own lives to give THAT kind of help to someone else doing a job search. The basic reality is that your job search is up to you.

Finally, "To Whom it May Concern" types of letters tend to be pretty much disregarded. If you're thanking someone who has helped you in your job search, then you probably want to refer to them by name.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 2, 2012

And....????

I am thoroughly confused. If you didn't want a minimum wage job, then why did you apply for it-and waste not only the interviewer's time, but your own?

I'm sorry, but it seems like you are just posting random information, that doesn't apply to anything.

And PLEASE, put a title on your threads! A) You don't have to type the first line twice, and B) it makes it much easier to read!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 2, 2012

This is what I was thinking. I really hope someone can help this poster but I don't think it's me since I am as confused as everyone else.
    :beatdeadhorse: :dizzy::beatdeadhorse: :confused:

14. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 2, 2012

I have to agree with many other posters. At this point, I open threads started by you (the OP) just to see if THIS one will finally make sense to me.

It's very challenging to understand what you're saying and asking of us, especially with your last post. I want to give out input, but I really don't understand the question that is being asked.

I also agree-PLEASE put titles on your threads

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2012

Like previous posters, I don't understand this...:dizzy: if those who are interviewing are finding your communications to be as difficult to follow as your posts here, it may explain the lack of success you are having with procuring a position.

This.

Second verse, same as the first...

It's becoming a bit like :beatdeadhorse:

16. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 3, 2012

Not to be totally off topic, but I never understood the reason for the horse...I get the idiom, but...why would you be beating a horse? Sure a bear maybe, or mountain lion...why would a horse need a beating?

Forgive me...I did just donate blood so I'm a little woozy.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 3, 2012

I think maybe it comes from whipping a horse and trying to get it to move? (That wouldn't be very productive if the horse was dead...)

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 3, 2012

The expression comes from "flogging a dead horse", meaning it doesn't do any good to flog (or beat) a horse that's dead already, it's not going to do any work for you. Exercise in futility. What's the point in continuing.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 3, 2012

Yay, I guessed right!