I have a feeling..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aspiringinstruc, May 31, 2013.

1. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 31, 2013

I have a feeling that I will receive at least 3 job offers next week judging from my interviews. "IF" that happens how do I narrow down to the one school I want to pick if I don't know much about the schools....all I know is that 2 of the schools have low performance scores and the other one doesn't?

3. charlottesome

charlottesome Rookie

May 31, 2013

If you went on the interviews, don't you know enough about the schools to make a decision?

4. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

May 31, 2013

Typically before I go on any interview, I research the school and district. I can't imagine going into an interview for a job knowing only their performance scores...?

Perhaps do things backwards and research a bit to figure out that answer for yourself.

5. redtop

redtop Companion

May 31, 2013

First, I hope you do get that much of a choice, but don't count your chickens just yet.

Second, um...

Work environment
    Rapport with the team
    Job security

for starters?

6. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 31, 2013

ok you guys are rude.....just forget it. I accepted the first offer that called me so I have a job now.

7. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 31, 2013

FYI:

These school are:

1. all in the same county
    2. I applied to every school!! There are 15
    3. Theres no way to know everything about all 15 schools when you're applying everywhere constantly
    4. get off the forum if you can't be positive.
    5. Your post were not help..

8. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

May 31, 2013

I personally didn't see anything rude about what others posted. Sit down. Breathe. 3 potential offers means you only need to look at those three schools. Compare the pros and cons of each. Decide what matters most (class sizes, test scores, location, ect.).

But like redtop said, don't get ahead of yourself. We've all gone on interviews where we felt like we landed the job and they chose someone else. Until an offer is made, everything is hypothetical. We're not here to put you down, but we're a pragmatic lot.

9. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 31, 2013

I accepted the first offer so no need for advice thanks

10. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 31, 2013

There are some that are very matter of fact here, something just to get used to. Congrats on the job - don't forget to add yourself to the list of new jobs!!!

As for what to consider:
    1. location - can you tolerate the travel?
    2. professional development opportunities
    3. support you feel you may have from administration
    4. possible other responsibilities with position
    5. salary (if different districts)
    6. benefits (if different areas)

I had a few interviews lately where the district pays the entire employee portion of insurance. That is a big savings that could make up for less salary (well over $2,000 a year). On the other hand, there is the cost of gas, even though I drive a hybrid.

11. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 31, 2013

Congratulations Aspiring!

I am very happy for you :D
    It must be such a relief to know you have something..i hope to be getting some good news soon as well.

:):):)

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

Congrats aspiring!!!! :)

13. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

May 31, 2013

Congrats on your new position.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2013

not sure you why you asked for advice that you clearly didn't want and I'm not seeing where there was rudeness, but congrats on the job.:thumb:

15. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

Congratulations on your new job!

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

Congratulations on the new job! :)

17. popqwerty

popqwerty Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

I completely agree with you. :)

18. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 1, 2013

I just sent out resumes and cover letters to nearly 100 different districts after the budget vote last week. Clearly I don't know everything about every single school, however, I would certainly be researching the specific districts/schools that I was asked to interview for prior to the interview. That tends to be standard protocol; it's one of the most mentioned teaching job hunt/interview prep suggestions. I don't think that anyone was trying to be rude to you, myself included.

As far as I know there is no prerequisite on this board that mandates that everyone must be positive at all times...and the only rude thing that I noticed was you telling people to get off a forum (that you don't run).

I didn't see any negativity, but I did see constructive criticism. As I said earlier, it's protocol to research a school prior to going on an interview. It gives you an opportunity to learn more about the school and their educational philosophy, which enables you to give answers that are relevant to the school during the interview. For example, if you read the school's website and notice that they use a math program that you have had experience teaching, and the principal asks you a question about, say, how you'd use manipulatives in a math lesson, you can incorporate that information in your response. This lets the principal know that you've done your research about the school and are extremely interested in the postion, and it just gave you the opportunity to showcase your experience teaching that particular math program. It's a good thing to do!

Anyway, I suppose none of this matters, since were offered and accepted a job, so congratulations!