I have a Classroom Website...... but should I do a Classroom Blog?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jde3399, Aug 21, 2012.

1. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

I have set up a classroom website this year. But, I was wondering for those who have a blog, what do you blog about? Is it about what is happening in the classroom so parents can know, or do you blog about other things....??? I have been going back and forth with this. Also, how often do you update the blogs? Thanks! :D

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

You could just put a 'what's new in 2-jde' page on your website. I update mine seasonally. Anything more urgent that parents need to know gets sent home in folders...keeping up with a blog can be demanding.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 21, 2012

I have a classroom website where I put all of my course information, and I also have a class blog for one of my classes that I sometimes have students post to. (I do a current events project, and they need to post/discuss articles on there.) I don't put anything on the blog myself, though.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2012

I am trying a blog this year. I just wanted to try to get more pictures out to parents. Our websites are extremely limited.

6. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

This year I'm trying to do both. My website will be a static site that will just house important information and procedures. My blog will be for announcement, requests, homework, etc.

I hated updating my website last year because a) I could only do it from home and b) I needed to open two programs - my website software program and my ftp. What I like about the blog approach is that I can update it from anywhere and I don't have to open up any programs.

@giraffe - If your main goal is to upload more pictures, I recommend creating a Shutterfly share site. It's great for sharing pics.