I have a child that I do not like!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by eyeteach, Nov 17, 2014.

1. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Nov 17, 2014

For the first time in my teaching career, I have a child in my room that I do not care for at all. I have tried giving him one on one attention to see if that helps me like him more, but it did not. I dread seeing him walk in every morning and I am so happy when he is not here. The other kids do not play with him because he is just mean to them. I have had plenty of kids who are hard to deal with, but this boy is different. My co-teacher feels the same way. What do we do about it? It is not like we can go to the parent and say, "we don't like your child, can you please remove him!" Has anyone experienced a child that you do not like?

Another thing is that we always say we "love" all of the kids. I do not "love" him. I look forward until the day he goes to his next classroom!:dunno:

3. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Nov 17, 2014

I always try to think of at least one thing that the child does well, or some good quality that the child has. Maybe between you and your co-teacher something will come up and try to focus on that when working with this child.

Is there a reason that this child is mean to the other children? I know that I have always tried to remember that, "The kids who need the most love will ask for it in the most unloving ways".

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Nov 17, 2014

I had a student last year like that. My CT and I COULDN'T STAND this child. We were (unfortunately) quite relieved when she moved halfway through the year. The biggest thing I think is just making sure your opinion of this student doesn't affect how you treat them. There will always be people we just don't like, and sometimes they are kids in your class, BUT you can't just ignore them or let them see that their teacher dislikes them.
    I agree with Alesia -- think of one or two things this child does really well and focus on those. As for being mean... I'm not sure I have much advice other than making it a goal for your whole class to become kind, respectful people toward each other. If everyone is working on it and the other kids start putting that into practice toward this student, it may help him be kinder to them as well. He could be mean to the others just because they don't like him -- a self-fulfilling prophecy type thing. They don't like him because he's mean and he's mean because they don't like him. :/
    And while you can't tell the parents you don't like him, you CAN ask them what kinds of things he likes to do at home, hobbies and whatnot. Maybe tying those into the classroom could help you tolerate each other better?

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 17, 2014

I don't think you have to like all your students. People do say they "love" all students but that's usually not really the case. I just got rid of one student that I really couldn't tolerate but I still tried to treat him fairly and praise him when he did something positive.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2014

Sometimes it happens the other way. One year I received a child that every other teacher and classroom he had been in since kindergarten (he was 4th grade the year he got in my class) had absolutely hated. He was labeled a sociopath and had 77 referrals since that K class. His other teachers made a point of telling me how bad he was and how much everyone hated him.

He became one of my favorite students ever. He was sweet, intelligent, and loving. I think it just took the right classroom for him to thrive.

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2014

Some kids look for and ask for love in the most Unloving way.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2014

The students that are most difficult often need our love and understanding the most. How sad that you feel this way about a preK kiddo.:(

9. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Nov 17, 2014

Look past the kids actions and find something about the kid that you can love.

10. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Nov 17, 2014

Act like you love him though. He most likely needs it the most. Find something you can pick out to tolerate about him. It's hard, but doable.