I hate to feel sorry for myself, but...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JamieB11, Aug 21, 2012.

1. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 21, 2012

I'm feeling sorry for myself. :unsure:

The school where I have subbed for the past 6 years (and have done 4 long term sub positions, summer school, etc) starts school tomorrow. A few months ago, I really truly thought that I would be teaching full-time there, and that I would be having my first day tomorrow as well. It's so hard to see all of my teacher friends (and a girl I know who was hired there instead of me) posting on Facebook and whatnot about starting school tomorrow. When I am stuck at a new job that I am not loving so much. I am having a bit of the blues and I just don't know what to do about it.

*sigh*

Thanks for listening/reading. You guys are a great group, and it feels nice to vent sometimes.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 21, 2012

Jamie, you're late for your date with Haagen Daz!

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 21, 2012

Jamie- I am not sure if you are teaching now, but I think you should begin looking in differing districts. By now you SHOULD have been hired in your district of choice. Consider it their loss and move forward. Gain some experience in your own classroom and reapply in a few years. All the best!!:hugs:

5. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 22, 2012

I HAVE looked in different districts, different states, etc. I applied everywhere this summer and had 10 interviews. I have been hired at a Child Development Center, but I'm not very happy there.

They asked me back as a long term sub again this year, but I turned them down because I felt used. I feel as if they like me so much, and continue to ask me to fill in for teachers on maternity leaves all the time... but haven't hired me full time by now, and it just makes me feel like crap. I know I shouldn't want to work somewhere where I'm made to feel that I'm not good enough. And I guess I don't anymore. It's just somewhere that for the past few years, really felt that I would end up. Its just hard seeing all of my friends heading back, when I'm not. Ya know??

6. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 22, 2012

PS - Mathemagician.... Haagan Daaz and I rescheduled for tonight ;)

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

It's definitely hard to see all your friends heading back to their classrooms. Your day will come soon! Keep your head up and do a great job in your new job!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

10 interviews and no job means two things:
    - your resume and cover letter are both strong. They're enough to get you noticed out of a huge pile of similarly-qualified applicants.

- your interview skills are weak.

So consider this a building year. Interviewing is a skill, like shooting foul shots. Some people are born with a natural aptitude, others have to work harder to develop that skill. You apparently belong to the second group. So tell yourself that this is your new hobby, and work on it consistently for the next 8 ir 9 months, until interview seasson hits again.

Also, spend this time doing anything you can to add to that resume so it continues to get noticed. Keep an eye out for anything that could be considered professional development, belong to any apprropriate educational associations.And network like crazy, particularly at work. Get to know the parents of the kids you work with; I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them have connections in local districts.

If things don't work out for this school year, I want you to be a shoe-in for next year.

9. ShellyAve

ShellyAve Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

Great advice.

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 22, 2012

I would have taken a LTS position. How will this daycare job get you a school job next year?

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 22, 2012

Jamie,

Hugs. You are great and you deserve a district that will appreciate you. I agree, work on those interviewing skills. In many cases it is just confidence you need to help you polish your performance. Get all the experience and practice you can. And don't look back. That district doesn't deserve you, and you are going to find your own place where you are valued for exactly who you are. And when it happens it will be worth the wait!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

It's a resume builder...a successful year in a daycare/preschool setting could set the OP very nicely to be more competitve for next year's hiring...

OP...Keep your eye out for midyear maternity replacement or other LTS Possibilities...don't know how tied you'd be to the daycare, but might e worth your consideration.

13. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 22, 2012

Oh, how things can change from one day to the next!!!

I was sad and feeling sorry for myself yesterday, hating my new job.... and then TODAY I go a call offering me a position at a different Child Development Center.... one that I think I will enjoy WAY more! I am super excited actually!!! :)

My fiance also got some very good news today as well!!

Sooo... instead of commisserating with that Haagen Daaz..... we are celebrating with it!! (plus an adult beverage!)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

Happy dance!:celebrate:

15. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 22, 2012

PS - Thank you everyone, so much, for all of your advice and encouragement. I truly appreciate it!!!!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

Congrats Jamie!

17. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 22, 2012

Thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! :)

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

Congrats, Jamie!

19. Tchr

Tchr Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

Congrats Jamie!

Also, in response to your earlier post, I have a friend who worked at a school for over 5 years doing numerous things while she was going to school. (LTS a few times, aide, librarian) When she got her credential she was never offered anything even though there were openings, she did the same as you, she turned down yet another LTS position because she felt that they only saw her as a "helper." The next year she got a 4th grade position at another school in the same district.

I think what you did was right. Don't give up! And remember if we keep the things we don't want in our lives, we don't leave room for the things we really, really want!

20. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 23, 2012

Thank you, Tchr!!! I believe that what I did was right, too. I wanted them to see that I was not going to continue to be their "helper" forvever! I felt very used and hurt after I found out I hadn't gotten a job there... I had an interview, which the principal confirmed went very well, but they ended up offering the numerous positions to other people, to keep me around as a long term sub (Or so they thought).

I guess I need a change of pace.

21. Tek

Tek Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

Jamie -- chin up.

Things happen for a reason.

I taught part time for four years.

I got hired this past June and one door after another kept opening. I love my job and believe I was meant for this specific school, and specific grade, and these specific students.

If it's meant to be, and if you keep persisting, it will happen in the right timing.

22. sp1124

sp1124 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

I know I am a little late on this post but I just wanted to say that I think the job you took was a much better choice. I do think you were being used. Also I noticed you are posting from PA. I also live and job search in PA and it is so difficult. I graduated in 2008 and have yet to get the job I expected to have as a college student. Now I work as a lead preschool teacher and am even next in line to become director of the center if the current director chooses not to come back from maternity leave. There are definelty other ways to make ends meet and be happy than working in a school district. Best of luck to you!

23. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

Not sure I have words of encouragement, but I'm in the same boat. Subbed for 6 years and got numerous long term positions, just no jobs. Sent out hundreds of applications with no interviews at all this year! With school starting this week, I guess I'll be back into subbing. But being a temp for such a long time really makes someone lose self confidence.

24. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 29, 2012

Thanks, guys!! I am starting a new job on Tuesday and I am hoping that I will enjoy it. It is not in an elementary school (Which I would really like), but it is something, and at least I will have my own classroom.

HopelessTeacher, I know what you mean about losing self confidence. My confidence was really beat down this year. I a hoping to build it back up again. I know I'm a good teacher!

sp1124... yes, PA is ridiculous!! I graduated in '06 and am STILL looking. Good luck to you!