I hate to do gift wrapping

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2012

I can't gift wrap to save my life
    SO
    I just got a big white canvas laundry bag (faux mailbag) I am going to stenciled "Property of North Pole Post office" on it.
    I have put all the gifts for my grandkids in it and I will just pull the gifts out of it when they are here this weekend.

3. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 20, 2012

I loooooooove wrapping presents. I've often said if it weren't for my little one I'd have a gift wrapping service on the side during the holiday season. :D

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

I don't mind... as long as no one critizes my wrapping. My hubby is very good at wrapping presents... I think I get 3 to his 1 done!!! LOL!!! I pick on him about it... It's all going to be ripped off anyway!!!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 21, 2012

I like to wrap, but there are always so many to wrap. I enlist a lot of help. My GS has wrapped most of my gifts this year.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

I think that's a cute idea, actually! :)

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 21, 2012

I think it is a wonderful idea. The children will remember the bag far longer than the gifts.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 21, 2012

We have run out of wrapping paper this year, so Santa is using newspaper.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 21, 2012

Blue, our friend wraps all of his presents with the comic section of the newspaper!

Dave, what a creative idea. I think the grandkids will love it!

I wrapped yesterday. I don't enjoy it, but I love how they look when they are done. I don't put bows or ribbons on anything. They get smushed under the tree.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2012

I LOVE wrapping gifts too!! Give me a nice big table & all the supplies & I can wrap 20+ gifts at a time. I especially like wrapping square/rectangular-shaped ones, so the lines are straight & clean. It's more of a struggle wrapping odd-shaped gifts. That's why I try to get boxes for those when I can. Not to toot my own horn, but my wrapping looks like a pro did it! ;)

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 21, 2012

OMG I LOVE wrapping presents as long as they are firm and either rectangular or square shaped (I remember running out of boxes on Christmas Eve and having to wrap a sweater as it...it looked so lumpy!)

On the way home was work I was actually kind of sighing sadly because my own family aren't exchanging gifts this year and my boyfriend's family (with the exception of his sister and nephew) have all requested gift cards, so I literally only have two presents to wrap. Everything else will be in an envelope:(

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2012

I had to wrap more than 20 presents. I don't mind a few, but I don't like doing that many! And I haven't bought anything for my husband yet!

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 21, 2012

The idea is cute.

We wrapped our stuff last night. This is how it goes:

Hubby's Role:
    Official Gift Wrapper (he does every single one of them)
    Revealer (finds all the hidden gifts and puts them in respective piles)

My Role:
    Gift Tag Writer
    Encouragement Team Leader (not even allowed to sit down if he isn't sitting down)
    Gift Handler (give him the gift to wrap and take the wrapped gifts to the tree)
    List Checker (everything is cross referenced on a spreadsheet)

I tell hubby every year that I do most of the work via shopping so he gets to do the wrapping. Since his gift was in a box that was mailed and didn't show what it was, I rejected his objections to wrapping his own gift.

14. Harper

Harper Companion

Dec 21, 2012

For my gift card people, I put a catalog from the store, or top 10 lists for books, music, etc. depending on the gift card, and then box it up and wrap. Makes it a bit more festive, I think :).

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2012

I really love wrapping presents. I think I'm pretty good at it, too. Since I'm not a very crafty person, I take great pride in how pretty my wrapped gifts always turn out. :)

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2012

I still made the "North Pole Mail Bag" but today my step daughter found a "Santa Sack" At Walmart, same size.
    Then Terri spoiled my best laid plans and said she will wrap the presents.
    She has been working 12 hour days so I didn't want to ask her (her company has had some hard times, she will have one hell of a bonus come next month)

17. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 22, 2012

Gift bags are an easy fix for those who can't stand wrapping. I use them when I'm short on time. Recently, BF got a present for one of our friends and I realized he never thought to wrap it until after the friend arrived at our house for dinner. Unwrapping is half the fun, so I found an excuse to sneak into the kitchen and put it in a gift bag and then under the tree. It only took a moment and I got away with it!

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 22, 2012

Speaking of gift cards, each of my kids wants a gift card towards their selected game points (xbox, computer, etc). I couldn't remember which kid wanted which one. I could have gone with a visa gift card. Instead I found this cute little mailbox ornament for the tree. Inside I put a note saying how much I will apply to each of their chosen game points (pending my approval so they don't go wild and pick a game I won't allow them to even play). I'm going to tell them there is a gift on that tree and see if any of them can figure it out. Luckily I don't really have a bazillion ornaments because the movers lost our ornaments last year. We've been replacing some little by little all season. I've found some really neat local based ones.

In the meantime, my favorite gift so far was a cultural exchange. One of my college classmates moved to an area that I used to live in. I asked him if I mailed him money if he would pick out a t-shirt with the local slogan on it because I never got one. We ended up deciding to do a cultural exchange instead. I sent stuff from Japan and I got some unexpected local presents. I found that quite fun! To make it even better, it is from my home state so right now I have a little taste from home.

My oldest bought a santa suit for Halloween. He is getting all kinds of use out of it this season. Recently he pulled road crossing duty at the elementary wearing this. He also wore it all day at his school and put 50 cent stuffed animals in his santa sack and passed them out to his friends. You should see little kids flock to him when we stopped by the store.

Basically my oldest copied your idea somewhat. He didn't wrap anything either.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 22, 2012

I love wrapping presents but hate shopping for them!! I wish I could just hire some buyers and they could go out for me, get the presents, and then I could wrap them LOL

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 22, 2012

Next year, buy online!!! It's much easier!

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 22, 2012

Yes, I actually bought some things online (they arrived on Thursday yay!) but the problem is actually choosing the gifts. I really need someone to say so and so will like THIS! :lol:

22. storyh

storyh Companion

Dec 22, 2012

I do not likegift wrapping too & not really fond of shopping either ( I hate all forms of shopping, not just holiday gift shopping) but I manage to squeak by every year. Still have some shopping to do today...EEK!

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 22, 2012

Yes, I also like to get boxes for odd shaped presents. They are easier to wrap that way AND the shape does not give away what the present is!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 22, 2012

Yes TeacherNY! If I can't find a box, I like to wrap it by wrapping the wrapping paper around it & putting a bow on both ends, so it looks like a piece of candy! :)

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2012

So here I was all happy that I was finished with my Christmas shopping. Well, Terri counted the presents and saw that My stepdaughter's boyfriend had more presents that my stepdaughter (she is 22) had!
    So at 6:00 AM this morning we had to go to Toys R Us to try to get her some Panda stuff she loves Pandas. Outside Toys R Us there was a news crew doing a live report so they interviewed me.
    Cute reporter, "Some people have waited until the last minute and are finding the pickings slim or priced a little higher than they wanted to pay, here is a grandfather who is here bright and early..."
    to me, "are you an early riser?"

Me, "I am retired, I don't get up early!"
    Reporter, "well are you finished shopping?"
    Me "no we have to go to another store."
    Reporter, "well are your grandchildren taken care for?"
    Me, "Yes," (looking at the camera) "Haley don't look, Santa IS bringing your gifts.".......

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

Lauren loves wrapping gifts--she did all of the little stuff I got for my Mom yesterday and she'll do more for me today. I don't mind it at all, but usually leave the wrapping until the last minute and then get stressed about trying to get it done quickly instead of beautifully.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 23, 2012

I just remembered...when I was a teenager my mom would send me down to the basement with all of the Christmas presents and I would wrap them (minus the ones for me). I would spend hours down there alone just wrapping and wrapping! It was so much fun. I have a great aunt who once wrapped presents at a department store during Christmas time. She said it was the best job she ever had LOL I guess I got my love of wrapping from her!

28. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 24, 2012

Thank goodness I am done. Unless I find something hidden in the closet that I forgot about.

29. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 24, 2012

My SO was hidden away wrapping presents tonight. I could hear his sounds of frustration every few minutes. Then he came out raving about how he's never going to wrap his own presents again. The boxes look.. um... endearing. I should probably just post a picture. :lol:

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2012

Gift bags can save your life...:cool:

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2012

LOL Please do!

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2012

I can't believe it, Terri had me drive her to more places to shop. I said "I" was done, YES I was, Terri wasn't.

Why is it a guy can shop for 25 relatives, 45 minutes from closing on Dec 24th and get it all done? (I just did it a few days earlier than the 24th)

33. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2012

No, a man's wrapping is very personal as much as a man puts into it, it is his very soul.......

(had to say something to make out "Guy wrapping" sound more noble and gallant)

34. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 24, 2012

I follow in my dad's footsteps ... I'm a precision gift wrapper craftsman(woman).

My mom makes homemade bows, gorgeous. I make homemade gift cards, gorgeous.