I hate teaching writing!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Dec 5, 2013.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Dec 5, 2013

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm enthusiastic when teaching it, but I dread writing time!

3. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Dec 15, 2013

I wouldn't say that I dread it... to me it has been exciting to see writing unfold in the classroom. We had a very slow start with writing. I really drilled and pushed into overtime with sight words and that has helped tremendously with writing... now of course getting my students more excited about sounding out new words is the next challenge. I also have small group writing lessons. I do a large group general writing time... start a sentence with an capital letter, space between words, forming letters, drawing a detailed picture etc. Then in small group do more intense writing lessons. My small groups are (4-5) students each.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2013

I really enjoy writing. We are doing writer´s workshop this year and it´s a lot more exciting. The kids are into it too.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 15, 2013

It's actually my favorite subject to teach.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 15, 2013

I love to teach writing. My class just wrote stories on how Rudolph got his red nose. Their ideas were fabulous. What a difference 4 months makes.

7. minnie

minnie Habitué

Dec 16, 2013

Well, now I fee bad. I think kindergarten writing is especially challenging because kids come in not knowing how to hold a pencil and you're starting from the very bottom. It is a very slow process. I have a few in my class that just are not getting it. They still just write a string of letters. I model, model, model and work with them. I just get frustrated. I just hope I see more improvement after Christmas break.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2013

Minnie, don't feel bad. Writing is my least favorite subject to teach. I always feel that I am not doing enough to help them become good writers. However, when I grade their writing, I realized that I am teaching them well. This year has been a little better for me. I could surely understand how you would dislike it and know that your feelings are normal. I am sure that we all have an area that we like more or less than others. Take a deep breath, relax, and watch them grow.

9. minnie

minnie Habitué

Dec 17, 2013

Thank you DHE! At this time of year, I always get discouraged because I feel like they are not developing like they should and I feel like I am not doing my best. However, I always keep samples of their writing every month and they have shown growth. It may look small to me, but to them, its pretty big. I forget that sometimes.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 17, 2013

I always feel better when I look at other kindergarten class work. Especially when it is out of my building. Guess what? All five year olds do the same thing ;)