I hate substitute teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hac711, Dec 18, 2010.

1. substories

substories New Member

Apr 26, 2016

That is rewarding when the kids acknowledge you at the mall. I am glad to hear your experiences have been good. Like you I had requests since I teach music but I was teaching 16 schools and you know some of them will give you trouble. For the most part I enjoyed the job except when I got the Noro Virus, lol.
    Best to all on here.

2. substories

substories New Member

May 5, 2016

Most substitutes are also protective of the students. It is the attitude of most administrators who assume we are not cognizant or capable of teaching. Get off your high horses and recognize we are there to help out your classroom not to take pot shots all day. Most of us have at the minimum. Bachelor's degrees and advanced degrees. Also, the fact that subs are not in a union makes the professional vulnerable to serious allegations since it is an ex parte system biased towards unruly students.

3. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

May 12, 2016

Try teaching online. That is the future of education. In an online class you don't have to worry about maintaining classroom discipline , you do not have to commute which saves money and time. Online classes can be as effective as offline classes, if not more. Choose a free online classroom software and give it a try. You are not going to regret, I can assure you.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 12, 2016

Since you liked the "POSITIVE" comments...
    I think you POSITIVELY need to find a new job. ;)

5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 12, 2016

Subbing sucks, but it's a part of the education game for some people (an example is student teachers who didn't earn their position like me). I enjoy the day to day with the kids, and the respect level has gone up for me this semester because I have seen most of the kids many times. I hate myself for subbing, but I make damn sure not to take it out on anyone else (kids, parents, staff). It is not their fault, and they deserve respect that I am required to give them. I've learned as a sub this year to leave everything bad in the car and go in happy to be there. Admins notice that and ask you back.

6. Toodles

Toodles Guest

Mar 8, 2018

I subbed for many years, K-12, and went to all kinds of schools. I saw it all.

Once, the newspaper did an article about the shortage of subs. The reporter interviewed (or was steered to interview) a sub who praised the position. What the readers were -not- told was that the sub was a retired teacher, who was preferred by the very affluent school he worked in. I saw how schools in affluent areas seldom had to dip into the pool of regular subs, as many a retired teacher, or part time coach, was willing to go there. Because, of course, of the above average student behavior and discipline standards.

A new sub would get the schools with such low standards of discipline that they would be harassed, and at times be blamed for being harassed.

So, to use a retired teacher as an example gave readers the wrong impression of the job. (That retired teacher was in a school at which many a child being dropped off in the morning exited a luxury car. Lexus. Mercedes. Audi.)

Another thing I saw: a full-time teacher who claimed -she- had never experienced abusive treatment by students and staff, implying that the sub she was addressing might be the cause of their own misery. When, she had basically walked out of college and into another one of those schools that cater to the affluent. Of course she hadn't seen the darkest side of the job.

There comes a point at which people who substitute teach are enabling school systems that have gone bad.

Social capital plays a bigger role than many are willing to admit. You've heard of "white privilege", well, in my humble opinion, there exists "class privilege", also.

It was a wonderful job at times, but in the end, I found the system's treatment of subs callous. Literally, it is bad for one's mental and even physical health (as years go by). That's not just my opinion. It is the opinion expressed to me by one school administrator, believe it or not.

7. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Mar 8, 2018

Am I the only one that loves subbing? lol I have had amazing experiences (like today) and horrible ones but my love of working with kids have made me enjoy it. It is all seen to me as the Dos and Donts of what I want in my classroom.

webmistress likes this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 15, 2018

Are you going to try to look for a full-time gig for the 2018-2019 school year? Subs around here only make around $110/day, so most of them are either college students who are planning to become teachers, stay at home moms, or retired teachers.

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 15, 2018

I loved subbing when I did it right after graduation. I was able to work almost every day if I wanted (with a few slow weeks around breaks), it paid well, and I had a few teachers with awesome classes who requested me regularly.
    I loved parts of it the second time around after having my own classroom for a year (being called "The sub we like" by middle schoolers is high praise). I just had such a great experience last year with teaching that anything else feels sub-par now. I missed my school and my team too much while subbing this time around to really enjoy it, plus I had a REALLY hard time finding consistent work since the district changed its sub system.

Hokiegrad1993 and Leaborb192 like this.
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2018

I think we can agree that the nature of the beast dictates the work and familiar, yet unpleasant responses we sometimes receive. Being on both sides of the fence myself, I had some good experiences, found great ideas, and observed unique and wonderful teaching strategies and materials at some schools when I subbed.

But yes, I was also assigned combat duty. Exhibit A. Thirty-two 12 year old girls and 6 boys, for a 1/2 day 7th grade assignment. Two of the kids almost ended up out the window, as this seemed to be some type of gang initiation. :eek: At that point, I called the AP and he took some of the more offensive students off my hands. Still had 34 kids, but I digress...

What I know is this: Any job that covers, or serves as an assistant to a 'higher' position is bound to get some drama. By definition, you are not the REAL person, so you are a scapegoat, target, fill in the blank with your own term.

I agree, as Dr. Phil would say, if this is not want you want, stop doing it. I would rather work at McDonalds, (which is now paying $10.50 hr. where I live) than be subjected to daily abuse. Then start over in a different district, charter or Catholic, private school. Go out of your area, and maybe consider neighboring states, if you are close to the border or willing to drive. Or look into consulting roles for special projects, i.e. restructuring/testing - where you can assist teachers rather than cover for them.