I Hate Mrs. ** on Facebook am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jojo808, Apr 18, 2010.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2010

A few weeks ago one of my students came to me and said there was something nasty written about me on wall near the park. My first reaction was embarrassment and sadness. I of course was angry but overall I was more hurt that one of my kids would do that. Well as I started to hear the story I come to find it was one of my students who I have a love hate relationship with. She is one that keeps me on my toes and I had recently called her mother over an issue. The next day magically the vandalism occurs.

Fast forward to last week. her and a group of girls were fighting over name calling and how hurtful it can be. She being the one who was outraged that someone called her a name. Well here was my teaching moment. I recalled my dismay when I heard someone wrote some nasty things on a wall for all to see. I explained how hurt I was and but that I didn’t yell or scream or call anyone a mean name rather ignored it and felt sorry for the person who felt the need to do that. I then assured all the girls not to worry because the campus officer was investigating it for vandalism.

The child looked white as a ghost and o me that was a lesson I hope she keeps with her.

I probably will take this down in a bit but I felt that its important for the kids to know that words written or spoken have power and need to see how damaging it can be.

2. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 18, 2010

You handled it kindly but at the same time addressing the situation. I might have wanted someone to paint over it but then I teach little kids so this is new stuff for me.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 18, 2010

Do you really believe some teachers really deserve nasty comments written about them by students?

I am reminded of the tragic consequences of cyber-bullying by students recently in the news. Yes, it's just words, but if they are doing this to a teacher, is it really safe to assume they don't do it to other students? Schools have not only a right but a responsibility to educate students. Even if it's not illegal it's definitely unethical.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 18, 2010

are you implying that some atoz members have said they hate and wish harm on their students? I know I don't read every thread but I find that a little hard to swallow.

5. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Apr 18, 2010

Wow, I agree.
    I have not read a statement like that from any teacher on any forum.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2010

I know Alice's "badge of honor" has mostly been explained, but I'd also point out that it's not that her students hate her and that she doesn't think she's doing her job if "her students" like her -- it's that ONE student disliked her, and that's an indication that she's doing her job (or, at least, not being a pushover).

Muttling, as a cautionary warning, technically your student could complain about academic privacy. Posting it on her facebook page would broadcast it to her entire friends list, who may or may not be in the class (not to mention, you can't give attendance lists to students in the class, even if they were there).

I am very sympathetic to free speech, and understand newbie's point of view. I don't consider the general statements legally problematic in the sense that a student would get convicted of threats, stalking, or libel based on them -- at least based on current law in most states.

However, for students to act on that would likely be a mistake. While there probably wouldn't be a conviction or civil judgment against the students, it doesn't take either of those to completely screw with the student's life. The lawsuit alone would do it. Personal emails and correspondence could be forced to be turned over, the parents would have to hire lawyers, students' applications to colleges and jobs could be ruined (after all, a college or emloyer doesn't have to wait for something that technically legally clears the student before denying their application). And for what? To publish something anonymously a student doesn't have the gumption to say out loud, about a teacher they have to deal with for one or *maybe* two years, and when said teacher is about as equally likely to laugh it off or take pride in it as they are to feel bad about it?

A student who attaches their name to and publishes these kinds of opinions should be derided by their fellow students for being stupid, if nothing else.

7. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 19, 2010

I do not feel you are overreacting. With all the recent publicity on cyber and text bulling...holding the school accountable for what students do at home and at friends homes.

Does Mrs. Blank feel this site is putting her under duress then I'd say it is a form of bulling.

I have used a rate my professor site. Both good and bad. Posts with vented threats were removed by the site. (wish I could remember which site it was)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2010

Thanks 3 sons.

I had an explanantion here, but have deleted it.

Those who know me don't need it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 19, 2010

This is a pretty complex situation with some nuanes.

I think if you are doing your job as a teacher - setting expectations and demanding high standards, you are not going to always be popular with some students. I think we should not take a lot of what our young charges too personally if they dislike or resent us for doing our jobs.

However, I would draw the line if a student is making threats or thinking violent thoughts, because there is the chance he or she may act upon it. We may need to intervene for a number of possible factors:

1) if the student has some other stressors or external factors that may be causing them to think that way

2) may need to set the student straight that such thoughts and follow on actions may have serious consequences

3) educate and advice the student on how to channel their frustrations/anger in a productive and non-destructive manner

10. cmw

cmw Groupie

Apr 19, 2010

I think it is awful! Would a parent want someone putting a page like that about their child? I have a website (linked through the school). I had 2 former students of mine (now in 6th) write vulgar and hateful things. Luckily I have to approve comments so I was the only one who saw it. The school was less than supportive about it. Of course my school also lets students get physical with teachers so I should not be surprised. :mad: I told admin that if it continued I would discontinue that part of my site as I should not be harassed by students. Luckily, I have not had any more issues...yet. I just do not understand why as a school (or society) we are not holding our young people to higher standards.

11. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Apr 19, 2010

I think Facebook should remove pages that are devoted entirely to hating on another person or group of persons.

Free Speech means that the government can't regulate speech except in extreme cases like death threats or inciting a riot and in instances where the Establishment Clause might be violated (state or federal employees can't evangelize on the job) or where privacy laws may be violated.

America actually has a more robust Freedom of Speech than a lot of other countries. Even a lot of hate speech is protected here (for example the Phelps people get to protest at funerals). We have hate crime laws but not the hate speech laws that some countries also have.

But companies can regulate speech (we can't say mean things about our bosses, etc) within their parameters.

Individually, we have the right to speak out against the views of others.

12. randrin

randrin Rookie

Apr 19, 2010

I can see how this particular issue is going to be cropping up more and more as technology continues to advance.

I think it's going to be extremely important for schools to start having policies in place regarding this sort of online incident; it's very unfortunate that it has to take instances like the recent suicide in the news to highlight just how damaging this type of cyber-bullying can be to both students and teachers alike.

--Owen

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2010

If a kid said these things to a teacher's face, it would be dealt with one-on-one, or perhaps with the input of an administrator. Online, these kinds of messages take on 'a life of their own'...out there for virtually the whole world to see, read and react to.
    Wow...where were such things said on THESE forums? I have never read a member post of wanting harm to befall a student- and if there were such a post, I'm SURE the membership would be quick to respond in such a way that anyone who made such a post would know the inappropriateness of it.

14. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

I think the student should be made aware that this is inappropriate. It might be a small deal now, but I have heard many people getting fired from their jobs because of what they had on their Facebook wall.

It would do the student good to get a little bit of a sting from this.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 21, 2010

I definitely think they should feel a little sting.

Actually showing them tons of articles about just that thing (especially if you could find it happening to people outside our profession) might not be a bad thing to show and teach.

Also perhaps letting them know that potential employers sometimes google candidates to see if they there is any inappropriate stuff on them before hiring (ie, character stuff). What we put on the internet is not only shows our character now, but it is something that may affect us in the future as well. We need to be mindful of our character for future implications as well.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2010

Now, I won't go so far as to say that FB, Twitter, etc. should be completely eliminated because that's not fair to those who use it for a GOOD purpose, but the line can't really be drawn at all because since everyone's behind a computer screen where some people aren't really who they may really be, it's impossibleto verify who's a kind, honest person & who isn't.

I'm not really surprised about this teacher bashing on FB. I mean I'm sure all across the country, some kid somewhere has started a hate page about his/her teacher. I don't know why the whole page can't be taken down though.

I mean I'm sure some skinheads are using FB & similar sites to congregate their hate of other races too. So how can we stop the negative, yet keep the positive?

I completely agree.

17. MistsOfSpring

MistsOfSpring Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

When we had a similar situation at our school, the kids were suspended and had to write letters of apology to the teacher. In fact, a couple of kids who had joined had already moved on to high school and they got suspended in their own schools over it.

18. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 22, 2010

I dealt with this today and this thread helped. One of my students was threatened as was her friends.

Because of this thread, I had thought why it was wrong and I knew what I thought of it as well as my responsibility to act.

I responded quite well IMO. I am, of course, concerned of the future, but I feel I handled it right and a lot of that is because of this thread.

Thanks to all.....especially the OP