I HATE MOVING

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by rachaelski, May 31, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 31, 2009

It's the last day in my apartment. My boyfriend, our cats, and our stuff is already across the country beginning our new life (I still have 2 weeks of work left). Pretty much everything is gone from the apartment. I am just finishing packing the odds and ends and doing the last clean. I hate moving. It sucks.

The good news is that everything in our new home is already unpacked, my boyfriend couldn't stand the mess!:dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 31, 2009

Rach-
    When my husband was in the military, we moved 9 times in 17 years. It's stressful, even when you have professional movers doing the bulk of the work for you.

To where are you moving? Do you have job prospects there? (sorry if you've posted this info elsewhere and I missed it)...

Look at it as an adventure. You are starting a new adventure in your life. We had a saying in the military: 'Bloom where you are planted'. ;)

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2009

I just moved classrooms, across the hall rather than across the country. I hated it! By the end I was just throwing stuff around, either in random boxes or in the trash. Getting organized in the fall will be a major project. I can't imagine the work involved in moving a household. My heart goes out to you!

But like czacza said, this is a new adventure in life. Getting there will be a pain, but think of the fun of exploring a new place!

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 31, 2009

Look on the bright side of things, it's on to bigger and better things! A home instead of an apartment, and a new beginning. Sounds like a fun idea to me! I wish I could move...

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 31, 2009

I'm going to be moving too and know how you feel. I haven't moved in 31 years though, it's hard thinking about leaving life-long friends, my school family, church...

I have to look at it as an adventure!!!

7. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 31, 2009

I am moving from Ohio to New Mexico. To be perfectly honest, I had it easy. My boyfriend and his dad (who flew out from NM) packed the moving van and most of our stuff. I think I hate doing it by myself. The move is certainly for the better. There are better prospects for my boyfriend's career and we are close to his family and friends. I have a job for next year teaching 7th and 8th ELA and I have also been accepted into a PhD program for education there. I don't know how people in the military do it! Do y'all just have less clutter in your homes?

Excited about the move, not excited about moving!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 31, 2009

I think moving often in the military enabled us to 'de-clutter' more often... :) Now that I've been in the same house for 10 years, we've cluttered up again...:eek:

Congrats on your new job and on your PhD program.

9. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

May 31, 2009

I"m with ya on the hate moving....moving now from a duplex to a house I just bought. I've had probelms with u-haul....but thanks to awesome friends and family all my stuff except "big stuff" has been moved....and hopefully that will happen tomorrow!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 31, 2009

Thank God I've only moved ONCE in my entire life & I was only 13 at the time & my parents hired movers, so I didn't have to do much of the work! Moving's no fun. It's a LOT of work.

That's one activity I hope to do extremely rarely, meaning once, maybe twice more in my lifetime. I know the next time I move will be exciting though because it will be me moving in my own place...whenever that day is.

11. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

You are moving here during the best time of year, though! It's monsoon season, and it rains nearly every afternoon. Rain in New Mexico is great. You can see it coming far off on the horizon. Yesterday it was raining out one window, and sunny out an opposite one.

I'm just excited to see someone else here in the same state. :) I don't think I've seen anyone else on here from NM. But I could be wrong!

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 31, 2009

Nattles, I am excited to get there!! I am couch surfing until the 12...then I get into my car and go!

I am looking forward to exploring over my summer break. My boyfriend is doing work in Northern New Mexico, and he is quickly falling in love there. I anticipate a bunch of trips up there!

Sitting in my empty apartment...last thing to go into the car, yup, wireless internet router.

13. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

Check out the Rio Grande Gorge up near Taos. It's...gorge-ous. :lol:

14. melnm

melnm Companion

May 31, 2009

I'm moving soon too. And I agree, it's no fun! Still have lots of packing to do and I'm not looking forward to it.

Enjoy NM! Before moving here, I lived in Gallup. It's my home state. I miss it!

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 31, 2009

rachel-make sure to plan plenty of outside stuff for these last couple of weeks. I remember when we moved back to this area, my dh took all our stuff, and I had to sit in an empty apartment. I would sit and bawl every night, mostly because I didn't really want to move, but I missed my sweetie, and I had nothing to do! Keep yourself busy!

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 1, 2009

Have so much fun! I looove New Mexico.

I've moved every year for the past five years-graduated college, got married, moved out to CA, moved twice out here, etc. And we're looking to buy this summer, so that will be ANOTHER movie, less than 6 months since our last move. I'm hoping to sink down some roots after that move, however, and just BE for at least 70 years....