I HATE JOB FAIRS!!!!! (tongue-in-cheek rant)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Mar 7, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

Oh my GOSH!!!!!! I want to scream!!!!

I hate them SO much!!!!! (And I have 3 more to go...at LEAST!)

1) I hate the administrators who go ON and ON and ON (and you are their captive audience. what you LOOK like -> :D, What you FEEL like-> :|). You ALREADY either decide, NO WAY! or you know THEY aren't interested (the guy says at the very end...after he rambled for over half an hour!!!!!!...that, no, he doesn't HAVE any openings in your area, and if he develops any-that they will be covered by those already in the building. Wanted to SLAP the guy for wasting my time!) I kept looking back at his table and EVERY person he had in front of him was going through the same feelings....

boredom :tired:, boredom :yawn:, ANGER :beatdeadhorse:!!!

After a while, he was sitting there all alone. Yup, word gets around! (I warned a few myself.)

2. I HATE the feeling of walking around a job fair and having to fight the feeling, "I'm just leaving! This is getting me NO-WHERE!"

3. I HATE feeling like I'm a piece of MEAT!!! I chose THIS job fair because I felt it would show a bit more diversity amongst the candidates (on an urban campus...but the mix was pretty good. The rich - couldn't believe what I saw with some...more later. The just-getting-by. And the don't-give-a-darns. The BEAUTIFUL people -young, thin, beautiful girls who could go into modeling...and that schools seem to LOVE having on their staffs - what's with THAT??? And then some of us who fit NONE of those categories.)

4. I hate standing, standing, standing in LINES!!!!!!! Over an hour to get to a recruiter for a SHORT interview. No chairs - and my feet were aching SO much! But I did find it fun to talk to people around me... I'm a talker (Howdy, to all the lovely ladies I told to come join A to Z!!!), and playing "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????" (I have to laugh at (1) the older men with the obvious, OBVIOUS dye jobs or the TERRIBLE toupees. "Hey guys, bald is BEAUTIFUL! Try it!" (2) the women who are going to interviews with their Louis Viton designer bags- I am so NOT into fashion...don't even know how to spell it - and the one with this funky sash, that looked like a patrol guard, that announced CHANEL< CHANEL< CHANEL<. I laughed to imagine them avoiding the Peace Corp booth or choking to see how LITTLE teachers actually get paid.

:eek:hmy: :eek:<- them me -> :toofunny:)

5. I HATE when you KNOW they aren't interesting... it's embarrassing! I swear, sometimes I have NO CLUE what I am doing wrong... but when there are three recruiters A-is jabbering on and on, B and C the same. Then B opens up. You sit down, and boom in and out while A and C are LOVING their candidates and practically inviting them out to dinner. You look back and watch the table, and they are STILL going on five, ten minutes later. (At that point, you are checking your breath to make sure you aren't offensive.) - Mind you... Candidates with A and C were beautiful people. We must have looked like an oreo sandwich.

recruiter A and candidate :hugs:
    Me and MY recruiter----> :(:|
    recruiter C and candidate :hugs:

Now, things that went WELL at the job fairs (the sound of crickets)

1) I enjoyed knowing that I didn't have to go to BIG DISTRICT A because i already had my screening interview with them - and I was already chosen to move on.

2) After handing out brochures (which are STILL rare-thus SHOULD make you stand out) and having a few recruiters not care (some- looking like zombies- were already bored with everything. But you can't blame them; this is a circuit job fair...these poor people have been doing this ALL week at different campuses throughout the state), but instead getting that ONE recruiter (a principal from a well-paying and nice district) wild about your brochure.

"And you did this on your own? -yes- So you are really skilled with technology?"

(and you fight the urge to say "that was relatively simple". Though it is the truth, you would bury yourself if you would say it.)

So... I was happy with THAT district!!

Notes to candidates:

Yes, have a nice resume, packet, etc... but the super-expensive linen/cardstock with the gold foil lettering (actually engraved with gold foil lettering) is a bit over the top, don't ya think?

Tone down the make-up, ladies! (Some could go from the job fair, out to the clubs. WOW! :eek:hmy:) Maybe if they aren't hired as teachers they could be hired as lounge singers.

If you don't want to be strangled while standing in line ...assume the attitude of the rest of the candidates standing around you. Don't brag how EVERY recruiter just LOVES you! We don't want to HEAR it already!!!!
    :mad::dizzy::mad:

Loosen up! Break down and talk to the others around you in line. You'll be by them for a LONG time. And resist the urge to pull the old nasty trick... and whisper in their ear as they are just about to greet their recruiter,
    "Pssst, I think you have something stuck in your teeth. My GOSH! is that spinach, or WHAT??? Never mind... it's not TOO bad, I'm sure they won't notice! Go... do your mom proud. :thumb:"
    (hehehehe)

...and TRY to keep a sense of humor! It's the only thing that gets ya through sometimes!!!!

- Love Ya All!

McKenna

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 7, 2009

It's nice to see you're keeping your humor during these tough times :).

Glad to hear your brochure is helping out.

Best wishes for the rest of your fairs!

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2009

If it makes you feel any better, all those women with the $1000 handbags? They are fake. 98.9% of them. I am into fashion and once you know what the real deal looks like, the fakes are glaringly obvious and so laughably tacky. One thing you can do to amuse yourself while standing in line is to search out the stray threads hanging off that Chanel bag. Chanel bags do NOT have stray threads on the strap or hanging off the bottom. :D

If I can afford one someday, I would get one, but only because I appreciate the art of fashion, not the label/status. The fakes are just drawn to the "status" and the attention, and mostly, their personalities tend to be the same.

When I went to the big job fair last month, I saw all these same people too. I got a call back from a snooty district that went on and on and ON about how they would never hire anyone like me because they can be so highly selective. Luckily there weren't really any lines. I don't know how I would have handled lines. I have a really bad back problem (and just had surgery). Standing for more than 5 minutes puts me in excruciating pain; after 10, I can no longer walk or keep my balance very well. I have a DMV permit because of my back problem. I look fine and I can walk normally for short distances, so I get a lot of dirty looks when I park in the handicapped spots. People always seem to assume that because I'm young and look fine that I am.

Now I am worried about this for other fairs I am planning to attend. Hmm. Suggestions?

It sounds like you got some positives out of the fair though!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 7, 2009

LOL I love your rant! The last time I went to a job fair I hated it too. The worst is when you run into someone you know! :woot: I saw someone I knew from high school and she starts talking to me rambling on and on (while I want to go stand in another line and get this thing over with). Then I find out she's looking for the same type of position as I am! UMMM good luck dear (NOT!!!!!!!!!). :rolleyes:

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2009

That does not sound like fun at all, but hopefully a connection made will lead to a job for you.

7. palla

palla Companion

Mar 7, 2009

Oh McKenna, that sounds terrible! You know the teachers who were bragging that everyone loves them are insecure. No one wants to listen to that crap.

Hopefully you will get a call and it will all be worth it!

8. palla

palla Companion

Mar 7, 2009

LOL!! Isn't that the truth!! I hope you do wonderful as long as you aren't taking my job!

9. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

I'm scared. I'm attending one in a few weeks. Luckily, I'm only going to one. But, it will be large and therefore most likely horrible. I'm glad you were able to keep your humor and I hope that I can do the same. Thanks for the rant, it gave me a heads up.

10. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

Thank goodness we can keep our senses of humor throughout this frustrating job search!!!

Glad the brochure worked its magic! Hopefully it helps lead to something full-time for you. At an interview I had last year, the P and AP said that they should have their teachers make brochures for their classrooms... if you come across comments like that, you could take that opportunity to say that you would love to show other teachers how to create them. :p I always mention how much fun I had making the brochure, too.

You really do come across all kinds of people at job fairs. Good luck, McKenna!!

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

If it helps at all, I found my dream job at a huge job fair. I am not thin, nor young (late 40s), nor white, nor drop-dead gorgoeus...still, they wanted me. I was offered an interview on the spot after speaking to them for 15 minutes. The interview was for the next morning and I was hired. So, there is hope. for everyone. I love my school. It's the fourth I've been at and this one feels like home. (I found the first one directly from student teaching, then the next three at job fairs. One was a job fair 4 states away. I relocated for that year then came back here.

OMG! I made groupie status!! :thumb:

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 7, 2009

LMAO at the fake handbags!! I feel the same way!

13. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

Thanks Zoe, it gives me some hope that something can actually come out of a job fair.

14. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 7, 2009

You didn't happen to get the phone numbers of any of these prospective teachers, did you? :whistle:

No toupees with the guys at my job fair today. The only thing that stood out with how the younger women (under my age of 32) were dressed were the shoes they were wearing. I haven't seen heels that high since my friend's bachelor party. (ahem) One poor woman almost sprained her ankle when she lost her balance.

The real winner at my job fair was the district that showed up...and then admitted that they didn't have any openings! At all! Well, then why the bleep are you even here??

Keep your sense of humor. The next time you have bad luck, just remember that if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck. Be thankful! :D

MathManTim

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

Tim...

Sorry, I don't swing that way...so I didn't ask.

:lol:

16. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

And here I was looking forward to the coming job fairs! lol I wish you luck! Hopefully this time next month we will be offered a job! We can dream right? WE CAN DO IT!

17. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

I hope so, I will be applying in the Austin area. Where are you? Maybe we will end up at the same job fair.

18. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 8, 2009

Question - Should I attend these things? Does anyone get jobs from them, or feel that attending one helped them secure a job?

19. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

I was living up north then while visiting family in Texas, I attended a job fair because we'd been thinking about moving there and...I got an 7 and 8th grade math position with Plano ISD. (I have no math credentials but they said they felt I was capable of doing a fine job.) I moved for one year then came back. The job fair was for Plano ISD and surrounding districts. There were so many candidates at the job fair. I still don't understand why they offered me the job over someone local or at least a little closer. Two weeks after signing my contract, I was called by another school with an offer for an English position. I had to decline but that would have been my preference over math. If you read my previous post, you'll read that I am not a thin, young super-model type! LOL

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

:) <- Wiser by attending job fairs

21. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 8, 2009

OK great! Hopefully I will get some feedback on my resume etc.... I am coming from a completely different field (Supervisor in the TX Prison system), although I think that my experience will make me much more successful than most beginning teachers. But, I really need help and constructive criticism on tying that experience in on my resume and brochure. In other words, how to make it appealing to the Admin.

22. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

Ok so the job fair season is starting by me. This is the first time I'm going to a job fair. I'm really nervous. I think what scares me most is that I will walk up to the school and they won't say anything to me and I'll have to start and carry on the conversation. What do you say???

It's like you need a sales pitch but who knows what to say? Should I say what I'm doing now, what type of position I'm looking for. I made folders, should I hand it to them and say here's my resume packet? UGH I'm stressing out! I've only been on a few interviews so I'm really nervous about saying the wrong thing. And because we only have a few mins to impress I'm even more NERVOUS! UGH

Any suggestions, what's a good opening line? HAHAHA!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

Hi! My name is ChriCres, and I'm so glad to talk to you about why I'm the candidate you're looking for!....

24. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

So...why am I the candidate they want?

I graduated in 07 I haven't had my own classroom yet. I guess I should just talk about what I'm doing now...

I'm working as a TA doing x, y and z...this is a wonderful experience because....I feel that I can bring my experiences and what I've learned this to your district.

Ok soo do I say what school district I am working in now? One of the principals used to work in my district so I'm thinking it might be worth the mention????

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

Anything that will give you an edge over another candidate!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2009

27. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 11, 2009

CriCres...
    I find that I am a crappy sales person, or was, until I came to a realization: you have to BELIEVE in your product!

THIS time... the product is YOU! Do you believe in your product? If no - neither will the client. So it HAS to be a yes. You aren't going to get a job without believing you ARE who they are looking for!!

You have to face them, muster up ANY speck of confidence you have. Throw yourself into acting-mode. How would an aggressive, confident, top salesperson ACT when meeting a potential HUGE client? We're not talking a used-car salesman who doesn't care about the client and just wants to sell a piece of junk on the corner...we're talking about an experienced top-market salesperson who is selling the best item on the market. They are confident. They stand up straight, hold their head up, and throw their shoulders back They make eye contact. They greet the customer with a firm handshake (NOT a death-grip, but firmer hold and only a few strong, small shakes). Their voice is strong, sure, and confident. And they totally BELIEVE that their product will change the future of the client for the better. They make THEM see that without this product, they just won't succeed. They are doing the client a favor by presenting this product... they are saving the client from a future with an inferior product. They BELIEVE in their product fully and want to SHARE it.

NOW... YOU are the product. And there are HUNDREDS of similar products out there....but YOU are the one to believe in. YOU CAN do it.

Tell me why? List your reasons...and THEN let's put them into a statement. But first...list your reasons.

WHY is your product what they need? What will it DO for them? How will it solve their situational needs (hint: do you KNOW their needs?)?

BELIEVE in the product!!!

BELIEVE IN YOU!!

28. smalltowngal

Mar 11, 2009

McKenna, you should be a motivational speaker!

I practice the answer to that question every time before an interview, but I have yet to be asked it.

29. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

Ok thanks McKennaL and Aliceacc

Ok so here's my list of why they should hire me

-open to challenges
    -flexible
    -team player
    -this year i've been able to work closely with curriculum and learn how to adapt it to meet the needs/learning styles of our students
    -this year i've worked with students individually to improve their numeracy and literacy skills (i pull students everyday one on one)
    -dedicated/love working with children
    -strong classroom management skills (i think :blush: hehe)
    -eager to learn more
    -excited to start my teaching career

so basically even though i havent had my own classroom, in the past two years i have had excellent experiences that have prepared me for my own classroom and i'm just ready to get in and put everything i know to use

i hope you guys are on now.....it did help to list it, i'm going to try and make something work...i def know that i need something to practice that i will say...i will feel better if i have that, even if i never have to say it

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

ChriCres, that sounds like a good list and a good idea to have lots of response for that question. Last year at a job fair I was asked that question and thought that I had a pretty good response planned out, but then at the end of the interview they asked me what other ways I would stand out among everyone and I couldn't think of anything else at the time (of course afterwords I thought of a ton more).

31. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

OF COURSE! That's always what happens! I'm still trying to put it all together in a nice little speech....

32. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

I am so glad that someone else feels the same way about the fairs. I have been to 4 fairs and the past 2 years and I am sick of them. The schools said that they are forced their by the County and that they have to be there. At least some were honest though. I think most fairs are worthless because they do feel bad for people, and for the most part they cannot hire anyone. Even if that person has the qualifications that they are looking for. So no more fairs for me!!!!!

33. smalltowngal

Mar 12, 2009

earth, is Broward Co being affected like the rest of FL is?

34. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

Yes it is, they haven't a date for the spring fair. No money so far. I was let go from the subbing I was doing as well. I was told that its going to be a freeze long into next year!!!!!

35. lisamicheller

lisamicheller Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

They've stopped hiring any new subs in San Antonio also. I'm really nervous about a job for next school year.

36. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

If we are suppose to get the stimulus money then where the heck is it going to????
    Building new schools or what????

37. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 13, 2009

My thoughts on the stimulus/bail-out packages are still in the grumbling stage... but IF you are going to build new schools.. yet people are losing their jobs and shifting around looking for work elswewhere... then you don't have the numbers to fill the schools.

All the districts in THIS area have desperation notes on their web-pages... HELP! Let us know if you will be enrolling your students in the school for next year. Even if you aren't SURE, but THINK you might, tell us that your kids WILL be here! (Are they trying to pad their numbers?)

I don't even know WHERE you go to help the world's situation anymore... but I just don't believe that any of the current ideas are gonna do the trick. :(

38. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 16, 2009

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with my job fair experience. I guess it was because I went in with my battle plan. They had a map of all the district booths set up outside so I planned my path of destruction before I walked in. What was daunting was all the out of state license plates in the parking lot and the hordes of bright shiny new (and young)University graduates. I felt a little out of place as a career changer but I did well in the short meetings I had. Luckily, the most popular districts were not the ones I was interested in so no really long lines for me. After I hit my districts of interest I stopped at some of the smaller, less familiar ones and chatted with them. I found some of them had pretty nice compensation packages to go with the state base salary schedule.

One thing I noticed was that there were two colors for resumes, white or ivory. I think everyone must have bought paper from the same place. If you had a resume out they would usually glance at it. One guy had a really nice portfolio type thing but I noticed that got tossed in the resume box below a couple of tables without a glance. Maybe that isn't the best choice when everyone will be standing up and talking to so many people and better saved for the actual interview. I had a handbag and a folder that contained my resumes so I could easily whip them out. The handbag got in the way a lot. I noticed some had over the shoulder carryall bags that they used and those appeared to suit the purpose much better. I'll probably go for that at the next fair. I'll be less likely to injure someone shifting things around.

Overall, the experience was a good one. I did better at the one on one interchanges than I thought I would. I've even had one district superintendent write me both a letter and an email saying he has forwarded all my information to all his school principals and can't wait to see me at their school district job fair.

When you speak briefly with a district representative at a job fair is it polite to write a thank you note? I didn't get everyone's name and many didn't have business cards. I'd like to respond to this one individual though and definitely don't want to do a major faux pas and be out of the running because of it.

39. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Mar 16, 2009

Well I will be attending my first job fair on the 24th of this month and I can say I am a little bit nervous. I guess I need to start preparing now. :D

40. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 16, 2009

I'll attend my first one on the 26th.

41. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2009

My stomach churns when I think of job fairs. Total cattle calls. Ugh.

I'm heading into round two of job fairs this year (was fortuante to find a job last year, but resigned due to medical reasons). I had such gumption last year with being a soon-to-be graduate/teacher. That gumption was crushed with what I endured last fall. I'm hoping I'll find it again before I attend the first of four planned job fairs this hiring season. It's sad because I think I have more to offer this round, but have lost...well, that gumption that a lot of graduates/new teachers have. Boo.