I hand delivered my resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ryhoyarbie, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

So I found a position that opened up last week at the school district in the city I live in. I called yesterday and left a message to the principal about the position.

I decided to go up there this afternoon and hand deliver my resume, certification letter, and a sticky note on the position I wanted. I gave it to the secretary and I believe I saw the principal briefly before I left. Bascially I said I subbed at the school I was applying for for 4 or 5 times this past school year and that I didn't think I left a good message on the answering machine. That and I wanted to have them put a face on the person who left a message.

Although I think it was a good idea for me to show up personally, I had on a collared shirt and some shorts. I wasn't looking for an interview right off the bat, but wanted to just give my resume to them so they could put a face on the resume.

Should I have worn pants and dress shoes? I think my clothing was appropriate since I was just handing off a resume and nothing more.

If I had an interview, I'd be wearing a suit like I always do.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

I agree. I think it's reasonable to dress according to the weather when you are just dropping off a resume. It sounds like it was a nice outfit. If anything I think it shows that you dress nicely even outside an interview setting.

In Texas lately, if you had wore a suit, you may not even made it in the school to drop anything off. They may find you melted out on the sidewalk. I'd rather see a person dressed in a nice cool outfit than see the same person sweating like a pig in a nice suit.

4. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I wouldn't have worn shorts, but I also wouldn't have gone all out and worn a suit for a resume drop off.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

It will probably be fine. I'm assuming you are male. If a woman showed up in shorts, no matter the length, it probably would have been inappropriate. Yep. the good old double standard. Next time though, even as a male, you should probably prepare for possible on-the=spot interviews. Had you been dressed better, you might have asked to speak with the principal right? (you said you think you saw the p?)
    To save restless nights, I would want to take my chance and ask if it is possible to speak with the principal when you drop off resumes...why not? Shows initiative if done right.)

6. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

Well I didn't think to wear something a little better when I drove over to the school to drop off my resume.

It was an hour before the principal left for the day anyway, but I don't know if that would help.

Again, I wasn't expecting an interview. I just wanted to drop off my resume. I hope they take me seriously.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

Even if I'm just dropping off a resume, I always wear pants or nice dressy capris and a nice blouse because you never know if you might get an interview with the P, and sometimes you might just be giving your resume TO the P, especially in the summer. I'm in TX and I know how hot it is so that's why more often than not I opt for the capris.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

unfortunately a man can't opt for capris.
    I really think it's fine. I have been told the same thing. My last interview I wore basically the same thing I normally wear to work - no suit. I was offered the job the next day. So, apparently the P and AP were more concerned with whether I knew my stuff rather than what I was wearing.

Now, I'm not saying wear sloppy clothes, but as long as you looked nice you are fine. It's summer and you weren't there but to give them a resume.

I'm sorry I tend to follow my gut instincts. I remember posting my cover letter here and it got tore apart. I opted to keep it the way I had it and it served me well. I now have the job I've wanted since I began teaching 5 years ago. I just think there comes a point you need to feel comfortable with your decisions and let your confidence shine through. Not worry about every little thing.

9. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I agree with stg. You never know who you might see.
    Last year when I was dropping off my resume, I got to the school the same time as the P and we walked in together. He thought I was the person he was about to have an interview with (she was waiting inside). When he realized his mistake, he asked me to wait and he then interview me. I did not get that position but he called me with another! You just never know.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 14, 2009

You were dressed fine. What WOULD have been odd is if you had come dressed in a suit like you were coming for an interview. That would have seemed awkward for both you and the secretary. You did just fine and it sounds like you may have left a lasting impression. :)

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 14, 2009

I agree with this.:cool:

12. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I don't know. My principal almost always talks to people who drop off resumes. It's her belief that if someone drove all the way out to our school, she can at least give them a little bit of her time.

If I were male, I would wear a polo shirt and khaki pants. For females, a nice outfit from Ann Taylor (knee length skirt and similar colored top). Yes, it's summer, but you are trying to make a first impression and wearing pants for a few hours isn't too bad.

Remember, secretaries have a TON of power in a school. They can very easily relay back to the principal that so and so dropped of their resume wearing jeans and a t-shirt. You are trying to impress them just as much as the principal. I also believe that it is more respectful to the secretary to dress up a bit. It's almost like saying that they are only worth jeans, but the principal is worth a suit.

I have been at school for several days this summer, and I have actually seen a few people drop off resumes while I've been catching up with the secretary. I'll tell you right now, none of them will even get an interview. One woman had a tank top and work out shorts. I mean, really?

13. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

They're dropping off their resume. They wouldn't wear a tank top and workout shorts to the interview! They don't know who is at the school when they drop off their resume and if the higher powers were busy or not there. They were just being persisent like me. And the secretary does not have the power to make the decisions on hiring someone based on if they were dressed appropriately when dropping off their resume.

I wasn't expecting an interview. I made a call yesterday about the position in question and decided today to drop off a resume so they could put a face with who I am. If and when they want to interview me, I'll be wearing a suit and tie as I always do.

14. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

Don't stress on it. At least you showed initiative and hand delivered your resume. If you listen to what everyone says your just going to worry yourself to death. Don't worry, to be honest they probably didn't even look at your clothes unless you were wearing neon colors. :)

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

poster said it was a nice collared shirt - not a tank top

and

luvkinder, your right too. So sorry. I've know secretaries myself and most would rather have a teacher that was personable, not based on what they were wearing.

Now tank top is a lot different. Obviously one should not look like a hoochy when dropping resumes. And collared shirt and khaki shorts isn't a hoochy look.

16. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

Was she on the way to work out? That would actually be a plus in my book. Our county has a "healthy schools initiative", so she might be just what we need!;)

17. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

I think I know what you are talking about. You only have one time to make a first impression. That is just the way it is. Some people could really care less how you look on your time and maybe this P will be like that. Maybe she didn't really pay attention. Whatever, what is done is done and let's think positive and when she looks at your packet she will call for an interview. We all second guess and think the little things are what are important. I think it is the whole picture. :thumb: