I had the pleasure of seeing Harry Wong live today!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by nayelismom, Jul 23, 2008.

1. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

It was absolutely amazing. I'm new to teaching and I am going to teach second grade in the Fall. He went over a lot of things which are in his book and I'm looking to ADAPT his ideas. Can you help me?

1) He spoke about dealing with infractions WITHOUT disturbing the lecture. One teacher ( I believe her name was Chellonda) spoke about her method in high school where she would hand them a slip of paper with their infraction on it and the student would write their name on top and would write how they would be correcting their behavior. She says that as soon as they got this slip of paper their negative behavior would stop and the slip of paper also served as documentation for parent/administrators.

How can deal with infractions without having to stop my lesson?

2) I liked her point about always having documentation. She also had something called a "pink slip" for when they didn't do their homework and the student would have to write the date, their name, the reason they didn't have the hw, and sign it. Having this documentation helped her get out of what could have been big ordeals since the students tended to lie to their parents about having zeros for assignments. What can we do with second graders regarding this?

BTW- her ideas are on teachers.net in Harry Wong's articles dated 02/2005 and 09/2006

3) What procedure do you find are most important for second graders?

Thanks for your help!!!!:up:

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

I don't have any ideas right now but I just want to say that you are very lucky that you got to see him!!! What an exceptional experience it must have been.

4. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

That's fabulous! I got to see him two years ago at my system's new teacher institute and he was very engaging with a wealth of information. Good luck with your first year of teaching!!

5. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Not necessarily an infraction procedure, but I have a way to allow students to use the restroom without interrupting my lesson. First, I need to say that I have a restroom in my classroom, and that I'm a pretty loud talker, so they're not going to miss much of what I'm saying while in there. Second, I have had too many students wet themselves because I didn't let them go when they needed to.

Anyway, I have the students raise their hand with a sign language T (the ASL sign for toilet). I can then point to them, then to the restroom, and they can get up without disturbing our class discussion or interrupting with, "Can I go to the bathroom?"