I had an interview this past week. I think it went well.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bros, Mar 15, 2015.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

She's the one who mentioned the bad public transit first, not me.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2015

bros, you've mentioned, if I recall correctly, that picking up social and conversational cues is among your issues. Your response to this question, "I was at <school>," corroborates this: even in ordinary conversation, the question "What is X like?" is intended to elicit not just X's location but further indication of X's important features.

This is even truer in interviewing: an interview question is almost never properly answered in one phrase. Even a yes-no question is posed not just to elicit the "yes" or "no" but to encourage the interviewee to elaborate on what he or she observed and accomplished as a student teacher. You'd do well to think about common interview questions and to practice responses with someone who can coach you on elaborating your answers. Here's a link to some common interview questions: http://teachercatapult.com/teaching-articles/teacher-interview-questions/.

Now let's pretend I'm interviewing you for a job in a school district. So tell me: what was your student teaching like?

3. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

? .....what was my question?

I said nvm because I was going to comment on the response you gave to the question "so what was your student teaching like" but teacher Groupie did a great job the question was meant to get you to talk about your student teaching I don't think they even cared about where it was located they wanted it know what you did etc etc etc.

Perhaps it was a short interview because you gave short yes/no answers and did not elaborate, go into detail or do any explaining or take the questions and your answers further.

Ok you ARE getting interviews perhaps we now need to practice potential questions and how you should answer them.

Me personally when asked if I had subbed any I would not have said as much as you did...I probably would have just answered with a "No I have not"

Continue to improve on your interviewing skills and something will turn up for you.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

"I was at <School> in <Town>. I was in a split placement between a general education and an inclusion Kindergarten classroom. I had a chance to teach every subject, but most of my lessons, due to the split placement, were Math, Science, or Social Studies. During my student teaching, I incorporated technology into every single one of my lessons - through use of the SMART Board and iPads."

She outright said at the beginning of the interview "This is going to be a very basic interview, just going to ask a question or two, get to know you and see if you are interested in the position, given that you are a certified teacher."

Then if they get any word that the student will come back, they'll do a second round with the candidates they think will be best suited to the position where more in-depth questions will be asked.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

Do you think you are well equipped to handle a student with such severe needs that he is now in a psychiatric hospital? Did they elaborate on what the student's needs are? Are there issues that require physical intervention on the aide's part?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2015

That's a start, bros, though it's still very terse and pretty generic. It could and should be elaborated in either or both of the following directions:

1. Adding a detail about THAT school or THOSE students is a way to signal to the interviewer that you're able to register and focus on the situation and the needs in front of you.

2. Mention of a strategy - and for our purposes your incorporating of technology counts as a strategy - should be contextualized with a reference to the rationale for the strategy or a specific positive consequence of using it, and in longer answers you'll probably want both.

Try again, please.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

I understand and I'm sure the OP appreciates all the good advice about thank you notes and practicing his interview skills and tweaking his responses here on the forums, but at what point does such help become just glitter? If practiced responses aren't who the OP truly is, no amount of 'correct answers' are really going to serve students well. :2cents:

8. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

I was wondering this same thing....would Bros really be able to handle the student and whatever needs they may have.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2015

I was going to say the same thing to Bros. I am afraid he would be injured trying to deal with this child. It has been my experience that most of the students I have taught who have been institutionalized have not been very meek and mild.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

They could not elaborate on the students needs, other than he has issues with transitioning and he needs assistance getting to class - he is of superior intelligence and demonstrates manipulative behaviors. They did not say anything about physical restraint - but they mentioned they have a BCBA who has been working with the parents & student for a while now, who is excellent at their job. I made sure to inform the interviewer of my disabilities after she mentioned that the student occasionally gets physical - she understood.

Can I just add on to my previous statement, rather than retype/copy & paste the whole thing again?

"...I encountered multiple students with disabilities during my student teaching, however, two in particular from each of my placements stick out to me - one, a boy with behavior issues and on track to get an IEP due to his diagnoses from his mental health professional, was a student who was difficult at first, but most of the time, all he wanted was a little extra attention, which I helped provide in conjunction with my cooperating teacher. Another student had difficulties with handwriting, similar to mine, but better penmanship - I gave this student some tips that had helped me when I was younger, which helped him improve his handwriting in the three months I interacted with him on a daily basis.

With regards to my integration of technology in lessons, I use the SMART Board as a tool for engagement - in my student teaching, I would use it to play little games that I made using SMART Notebook - most of them would consist of dragging-and-dropping. During my fourth grade pre-professional placement, one example of technology during a lesson also involved differentiation - it was a social studies lesson on the Lenape Indians. I had activities at a variety of levels for each group of students to do.

The practiced responses usually come out in some form during interviews - not in such formal language, of course, but still professional language/terminology, without buzzwords in excess.

I don't google answers to any of these questions asked - I come up with the answers while contemplating the statements posted. During an interview, I usually take a second to process the question asked, then I begin to answer the question the way I see best - depending on a variety of factors, such as what the position is, how the interviewer started/is conducting the interview, things of that nature.

That's also a concern of mine too - but the person who interviewed me said that even if she doesn't call me back for this one - be it the student isn't coming back or whatever (because given the choice between me and someone with experience with a student with an emotional disability or even CPI training - they'll hire the other person) - she said she'll keep me in mind for future positions in the district.

That is a concern of mine also, as I don't exactly have much of me to absorb a blow - any hit would hurt quite a bit.

It was an interview - another chance to practice my interview skills, so there is that. The interviewer was indicating that most likely, the student will be going to a therapeutic setting, but she was just covering all of her bases by interviewing candidates for the para position in the event this student does come back to the district.