I had an interview this past week. I think it went well.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bros, Mar 15, 2015.

1. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 25, 2015

Bros, my post suggesting child care centers etc etc said nothing about applying for a job it simply was to suggest other places to look for VOLUNTEER opportunities.

Perhaps the things you are unable to do is what is hindering you from getting a job in the classrooms.....of course they can not discriminate against those with disabilities but they do need to hire those who are qualified for the position and who can best DO the job.

I haven't really followed any of your other posts so I don't know what your disability is.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2015

Goodness gracious...

Call your reasonable commute school districts in which you feel most comfortabe(yes, your home district, ST school, etc) and express your INTEREST in volunteering...do you really need so much support from us that you didn't realize that places where you are somewhat 'known' would be your best bet? Seriously bros..it's hard to imagine that you understand the position of responsibility and authority entailed in being an educator. It seems you can't make simple decisions such as timing for a thank you note, who to contact or volunteering. ...how in God's name would you make the hundreds of decisions an educator must make on a daily basis?

One need not be 'religious' to volunteer to correct papers, organize materials or read with kids in a parochial school....and don't be surprised if parochial school also require background checks. They aren't going to just welcome in an unknown person as a volunteer...and as far as being the 'cheapest route'...consider any money you spend on clearances, background checks, resume paper, clip on ties, stamps, taxis, etc as an 'INVESTMENT' in yourself.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2015

I'm in a very highly competitive area. The only way to a permanent position is by starting with day-to-day subbing. For the past several years, the only way to even obtain an interview for subbing, is to have a referral, or reference from at least one principal. For most new grads, the only way to get that reference is by volunteering. We almost always have qualified teachers volunteering in our building--right now we have 3--as a stepping stone to beginning their teaching careers. The hoops that new graduates have to jump through (sometimes for years) in order to teach is frustrating for them, and sad to watch. However....that's the way it is right now in many places.

What we have all been trying to tell you--for a long time--is that the more limitations you place on your search, the more challenging it will be and the less likely you are to be successful. We encourage our students to stretch beyond the limitations they place on themselves; when they realize all that they are able to do, if only they try, it's as if a whole new world opens up for them. You need to open that world, bros.

Are there limitations? Sure there are, but not nearly as many as you are putting on yourself. You are capable of so much more than you think you are, if only you try.

Tomorrow, or better yet, tonight, email the principal of every school within what you deem an "easy" commute. Send emails to any teachers with whom you have a personal connections--CT, former teachers, etc. Express your desire to volunteer in their school, your eagerness to hone your skills working with children as you are looking for a teaching position. Ask when you can come in to speak with someone in person. Let them know you are available as much as they would like you.

A dear friend of mine (who just completed her teaching qualifications while working full-time as an aide) has a mantra--"I can and I will". It's a powerful statement; make it yours.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2015

In addition to this good advice...

Where is the self confident Bros who attacked and completed a college education in spite of numerous disabilities that may have stopped a less capable person in their tracks? You need to recreate that mindset and determination while you attack and complete the job/volunteer hunt.

5. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 25, 2015

:agreed: Well said!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

Bros...a question for you:

Do you want a job?

Honestly. Do you want to work? Do you feel it's what you should do, or do you truly, down deep, WANT to work?

7. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

Of course you don't apply the mindset of "well that's how it is, I guess." to any student - that is doing every student in a classroom a massive disservice - a teacher should push their students to do the best that they can do. You try to push them to do everything they can and a bit more, because sometimes, they'll surprise themselves with what they can do.

Though from personal experience, there are some things you shouldn't push on - like if the student has a disorder of written expression that involves hand pain, forcing them to "write through the pain" won't work. Elementary school before sixth grade was a bit painful :p

The only districts I am not applying to are those that meet one of the following criteria:
    1. The school is an Abbott District/Urban District (I don't think I could handle the behavior issues that are said to crop up in schools like that)
    2. The school is over 2 hours one way by a combination public transit & taxi (excluding the taxi trip from my house to the train station).
    3. The taxi/transportation fees would eat up over half of my yearly [gross] salary - I set 20k as a "soft" limit when calculating travel costs to a school district I have not researched - as 40k is a slightly below average starting salary for a teacher in NJ.

Every other school, I apply to, provided it is a full time position OR a Long Term Sub job (I am classifying LTS separately from FT as at some point it will terminate, and different districts handle LTS differently - some will pay a flat daily fee for the duration of the LTS, some will pay a prorated salary of a first-year teacher).

The major disabilities are dysgraphia (A disorder of written expression. I have a severe case), fine and gross motor dysfunction, and underdeveloped muscles.

These, along with other disabilities, make it so I am legally unable to drive, I also am unable to button a dress shirt - I require assistance with that (With dress pants, my mother sewed on Velcro as a solution - it did not work as well on a test dress shirt), my handwriting is illegible, I am unable to lift objects greater than 5-8 pounds, and I have dexterity issues (For example, I cannot use scissors to cut anything neatly. The most I can cut through is paper, other things are difficult and/or dangerous for me to do, due to issues with depth perception.)

So, the only ones that would be applicable in a classroom setting are handwriting (which I bypass through integration of technology in my lessons), lifting objects, and my issues with dexterity. My vision isn't an issue as I keep an eye on the classroom by frequently moving my head around to keep an eye on everything.

I'm fine with paying for background checks, ties, shirts, and things of that nature (Although my parents are more than willing to pay for ties/shirts/clothes, they pretty much insist on paying). I would just be most comfortable with volunteering at a school where it would cost me the least amount to volunteer at - as it would make sure I have a *very* small amount in the bank in case of emergencies (As I have stated previously, people on SSI cannot have much in the way of resources, which money in a checking account is considered - and I am already close to that limit due to savings bonds that were purchased when I was young that have not matured).

Resume paper? There's special paper for resumes now?

The limitations I place on my job search aren't that restrictive - I don't know anyone who would be willing to have a four hour commute every day, at least not for very long. There are 9-10 district sites I check multiple times a day, along with three sites that post teaching jobs in NJ.

Emailing tonight would not be wise. It is 3:20 in the morning. I don't do my best formal writing this late.

I was thinking of sending something like this to the Principal of the school I went to elementary school at:
    Dear Principal xxxx,
    I don't know if you remember me, but I attended SCHOOL from YEAR-YEAR and YEAR-YEAR (Note from me, not going to include this: The district had redistricted, so everyone had to go back to elementary for a year instead of going to 6th grade at the middle school). I graduated December 2013 from UNIVERSITY with a B.A. in Special Education and I received my certification in ACTUAL NAMES OF CERTIFICATES. Since then, I have been looking for work, but have been unfruitful in my search. I was wondering if you would be willing to have me as a volunteer in the school, as I am eager to hone my skills while I seek employment.

Sincerely,
    ME

Currently going through some medical stuff, should hopefully be resolved or figured out in a few weeks - it's either the lab got my results wrong, or I need to get off one of the seizure medicines that has been working rather well for me for 8 years very soon. Also, still in a bit of a funk from something that happened three months ago. Not depression, just a bit of a... setback.

I attacked and completed the college education in spite of disabilities and a few people along the way allegedly discriminating against me due to these disabilities because I was hungry to further my knowledge - I didn't want anything to get in the way of my pursuit of knowledge. I want to be a lifelong learner and I want to pass knowledge that I have onto others. Learning is just incredibly fun and seeing the look on a student's face when they get a concept that you are teaching is just amazing.

It's also incredibly boring sitting at home all the time - at least my dad has stopped yelling at me to get a job already and realizes the teaching job market is tough in NJ due to a lot of competition.

My thought process is slightly divided on this - I would say 98% in favor of wanting to work, 2% is the anxious part of me going "What if I mess up? What if it turns out the posters here are right and I might not do well in the classroom? I could just live on SSI for the rest of my life."

Then the logical part of me comes out, "You need to give it a try - you tried driving and learned pretty quickly that it was not going to be for you - ever. You can't live on SSI for the rest of your life. You need to improve your Daily Living Skills, even if it is just a bit at a time, since rapid change can be difficult for you when it happens at home. You can teach. You can empathize with students with disabilities in a way most people never could - you have been through pretty much the entire continuum of services - you remember what it was like for yourself and your classmates. That is how you can help others. That, and your knowledge of the law will help you be an excellent advocate for your students."

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2015

9. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 26, 2015

Please don't take this the wrong way but have you ever considered being an online instructor?

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

These quotes are very revealing, bros. We have spent page after page after page giving you advice on teaching, but I am beginning to think that it doesn't matter if it's teaching or collecting garbage. The fact that you cannot say 100% that you want to work, the fact that someone has to nag you to encourage you to even try to get a job, tells me that no amount of advice is ever going to make a difference. Until you WANT it, until you want to MAKE YOURSELF do the things necessary to get a job, your job search will not be successful. You can continue to come at us with every reason, excuse, justification in the book, but it's not going to make a difference until you WANT IT bad enough to work for it.

Schools WILL NOT take a risk on hiring you when it is quite clear that your reason for being there is only to "improve your daily living skills" or get off SSI. It's obvious, bros, no matter how well you think you hide it in an interview. If it's obvious here on an anonymous internet forum, it is crystal clear in person, I promise.

So my advice to you, take it or (likely) leave it, is not to send emails or get resume paper or record yourself or practice answering questions. You need to do some soul searching and figure out for yourself what you want your future to look like.

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Mar 26, 2015

12. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 26, 2015

Perhaps bros, teaching is not for you but it seems like you want to help others who have faced challenges, try social services or a field similar where perhaps some of your challenges will not be challenging in a classroom and quite frankly some of your challenges would be difficult in a classroom, imo.

If I were on the hiring committee I would have questions on hiring you because I would have a lot of "what ifs" and we can't have "what ifs" in a school nor classroom.......the students should not have to possibly be faced with possibly stepping in if something were to go wrong or you needed help, kwim?

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2015

A little hiring story for you that happened today:

A great young teacher was a maternity LTS in my district this year. She worked hard, made connections to staff, served on committees in place of the absent teacher, showed dedication to kids and made a difference in a short time.

She is now on the job search since there is no position opening here and the maternity teacher has returned. (If there was an opening we would have snapped her up) She is now applying in the district where my P and I both live. Between us, we know the board president, an administrator, and the staff developer in that district. You can bet we are sending her resume to those people with high recommendations...as in 'don't let this candidate get away, she is THE ONE for you' kinds of recommendations....In other words, make the most of volunteer, subbing and other opportunities. Go above and beyond to leave the impression of your high skills, dedication, intelligence and the difference you make for kids and for the school. Those impressions are important....those who see those traits in you will do ALL THEY CAN to help you in a job search. It's not 'WHO YOU KNOW', it's 'WHO YOU ARE':2cents:

14. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Mar 26, 2015

I know this is going to be an unpopular comment but here it goes.

Whenever bros makes a thread or comments on someone else's thread he gets torn apart. Borderline bullied in my opinion by a lot of people on this site.

First his threads blow up and get 10+ pages of the same people both giving him good advice and being unnecessarily negative. It looks like the negativity comes from him not taking the suggestions given, also making excuses. But some of the comments seem almost cruel and not what you would want to see from teachers.

Just my .02 cents though.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

No offense taken. I have considered it - as far as I have been able to ascertain, virtual schools have had extreme difficulty getting a foothold in NJ below the HS level.

Working in a school would not improve my daily living skills (Except communication skills). It would help me get off SSI, but that is beside the point.

Nobody has to nag me to encourage me to apply for jobs - I check the sites every day without fail. If I see a position I am qualified for, I do the research, estimate costs, then determine whether or not to apply.

Ah. You interpreted my dad yelling at me to get a job already as him needing to nag me to apply for jobs. No, he was under the impression that as soon as you get a college degree, that means everyone will want to hire you, regardless of experience.

I began looking for jobs myself a bit in November 2013, before finishing student teaching, then I got caught up in the end of student teaching. During January '14, I couldn't apply for most jobs that would start in February, as I had to get oral surgery at the beginning of February '14. Then I was affected much longer than most by the oral surgery, then there was a family medical emergency, so I didn't start applying to jobs in earnest until March 2014. Since then, i've been filling out applications for any and every job that has come up that I can get to/I am certified to do. I've applied for over 100 jobs.

Today, I got an email from a district I interviewed at back in November. They have another paraprofessional position open and would like to interview me for it.

My home district posted a bunch of elementary positions today - I applied for those and I just need to talk to the Board member on my street to make sure I get interviewed.

So that's now four jobs in the last week i've applied for - and got contacted about one I didn't even notice was posted yet.

A seizure can happen to anybody at any time. I just happen to have a diagnosed seizure disorder. When I get a job, I would make sure the teachers in the classrooms around me were aware of my epilepsy, and I would ask the school nurse/principal as to how they might suggest telling the students what to do in the event that I were to have a seizure that involved a loss of consciousness (which, statistically, is a very small amount of my seizures, but they're what I have had the last two seizures - most are 30 seconds of bright lights, then I can function for about 30 minutes, 60 minutes if I push myself, before I get incredibly tired, which would (hopefully) be enough time for someone to be called in to cover for me. If it were a loss of consciousness, the post ictal period kicks in much quicker, and I would probably need to go to the ER for a LoC episode, depending on circumstances.

I'd say it sounds more like a bit from column A, with a heaping pile from column B - since you and your P clearly hold some clout in the district the person is interested in, you can give them a leg up with your recommendation, as you know the people personally, but you wouldn't give a glowing recommendation to just anyone - they have to earn it.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2015

Bros, this statement kind of jumped out. How fair do you think it is to have P's forced to interview you because a Board member made them do it? Do you think those same P's would be positively inclined to consider you if they were forced to interview you?

Maybe it's time to stop using the Board member card and start getting these interviews on your own merit?

17. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

I'm gonna wait like a week before asking the Board member - the most he does is point out my resume to the person in HR.

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2015

Again, do you need to continue to involve him in your job hunt? it seems that you are getting enough job interviews on your own now, which is a good thing.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

If I don't get called like a week before the position closes in May, I might ask.

I have the Para interview tomorrow.

20. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 26, 2015

Good luck with your Para interview tomorrow.

Remember positive in positive out! Go in there with the attitude "I got this!" :thumb:

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2015

And my P and I hold 'clout' because we earned it as well, bros. It's who WE are.

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2015

I guess I can't convince you that it is time to stand on your own two feet and not continue to bother the Board member.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

It's not a bother to him - he's happy to help.

24. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 26, 2015

He may be saying that to be nice.......I would stop relying on the board member...if nothing else get the board member to write you a reference letter.

If I were the board member I would get tired of it and possibly start running in the opposite direction.

Just saying...........

You may need to start as a Para to get your foot in the door and so that they can see what a great teacher you would make.

Anyway prepare for tomorrow and much luck to you!

25. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

I've only asked him once before with regards to a job. So it's not like I bug him every month going "hey any jobs in the district. hey can you get me a job. hey hey hey."

I understand that I will probably need to start as a para to get my feet wet.

And the job I am interviewing for tomorrow offers benefits. Yay.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2015

Maybe you can look at it this way. The Board member doesn't seem to mind...but what about the actual hiring committee that maybe turns another candidate away that they would like to interview, but can't because they are told to interview you. You might need to look at the whole picture...not just your interests.

Good luck with tomorrow's interview.

27. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 26, 2015

I have to disagree, swan. He needs to look out for himself. Anyone would love a referral from someone well known in a system. Networking in all fields help people get jobs. Often it isn't just what you know it is who can help you get that foot in the door. I don't know any profession where networking isn't used. That doesn't mean people don't get jobs without it, but networking is the new norm and was the old norm in the education system for decades.

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2015

Bros has said several times that the only reason he uses the Board member is because he is a neighbor. Bros has never said that the Board member has any actual knowledge of Bros' abilities as a teacher.

I'm not trying to crush his dreams, but he may be putting the Board member on the spot trying to get him to recommend without actual knowledge.

Anyways, Bros has shown that he is capable of getting interviews on his own now, so his resume must be working.

29. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 26, 2015

Our neighbor got a family member an interview. The neighbor knew the history of the family member but never worked with the family member. That is how a lot of networking works. The board member knows the family and probably has seen bros grow over the years, go to college, graduate, etc.

Bros may be putting the board member on the spot, but the board member is a grown adult who, if not wanting to recommend, could give bros a non-hurtful response indicating that he or she doesn't do such things or could say he or she wouldn't be comfortable doing so because he or she doesn't know his ability. If the board member can't handle such a request, that is on the board member to let bros know, not bros to assume he is making a person who gave no indication that it is a bother that it is a bother.

I guess we will just disagree where the responsibility lies. I say bros is in his right to ask for a good word and the board member is in his right to decline politely.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2015

The teacher I spoke of earlier didn't ask anyone at my school to help her. We found out she was applying and offered to pass on a good word. ...something we are doing because we know her as a teacher. She proved herself a dedicated, intelligent professional. We wouldn't put our reputations on the line if we didn't believe in her abilities. Throwing around 'clout' wears thin when one has no real experience with a candidate and is just 'making sure someone gets an interview' out of some however well intentioned idea that they are 'helping'

Is your home district different than the district in which you did ST? Regardless, didn't you say the admin at your home district know you? That should be enough to get an interview if they see you as a possibility.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

If it gets you an interview I say go for it. Even if you don't get the job it's more interview practice. I highly doubt they will NOT interview a highly qualified candidate just because they are interviewing you on recommendation of your neighbor. Don't worry about others, just yourself.

32. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

As far as I know, one of the people in the HR department handles resumes. She makes the decision whether or not to forward a resume to a principal or not for a position (and principals can also view resumes in Applitrack), but usually, HR looks at the resumes and figures out which to forward and which not to forward to the principal of the school.

It's not like he goes to the principals and tells them to interview me - he just asks the HR person to take a look at my resume.

Networking is a good skill to have in any profession - you use the help of people you know if they are willing to help.

Like if I wanted to work in the AV industry in NY, I would have quite a few people who are well known in the AV industry in NY who would vouch for me.

Or if I wanted to work in finance, my uncle has connections to Wall St. from his time as a trader, then as a fortune 500 CFO/COO.

With education, my network is smaller - I know one board member and a few teachers in the district. I am known to at least two principals (The one at the school I student taught at and the one where I went to elementary school - and possibly the one where I had my second field experience, he remembered me when I had an interview last year with the principals of the intermediate schools), but that's it. I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing it with the principals, but if I were at the second stage of an interview, I might reach out to the teachers I know to see if they could put in a good word for me with their principal - if their principal is the one who interviewed me, of course.

No - the board member was the one who said to me when he learned that I graduated with a BA in Special Education (As he was asking how my student teaching went, as he remembered seeing it in the agenda for a board meeting a few months prior) to tell him when I apply for a job in the district and he'll try to see if he can get me an interview, as long as I qualify for the position. It's not like I went up to him one day and said "Hey neighbor whose wife used to be my first grade reading teacher, I know you are on the board of ed, I have a BA in Special Education now and am looking for work, you wanna put in a good word for me in the school district?"

Home district is where I student taught. I am semi-acquainted with the principal of one of the elementary schools (observed for 75 hours in 2009, then did my first pre-professional field experience there in Fall 2012), one of the elementary principals knows me from when I attended the district, one of the intermediate school principals remembers me from my second pre-professional field experience in Spring 2013, and the principal of the PreK & K School remembers me from when I student taught. The other elementary school principals I am not familiar with.

And there's four elementary teacher positions posted in my home district right now - so it's not like there's just one.

33. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

It is Friday morning Bros.......again good luck today! :)

34. greendream

greendream Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

I can't believe some folks are trying to talk bros out of using his connection with the board member. Come on, people. This is what you do to get a job (or just an interview) in a competitive market--you use any connection you can to get your foot in the door.

35. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

Yep. Been awake for 30 minutes. Going to leave an like 40 minutes.

36. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

Back. Was eating breakfast.

Interview was *very* short - maybe 10 minutes?

It was a very preliminary interview for an anticipated position - the student is currently in a psychiatric hospital and they do not know if the student will be coming back to the school, or if the parents will want the student placed out of district - so they are conducting interviews just in case. I was told that if they get indications the student will return, they will do a second interview that is in-depth.

This interview was pretty much "So what was your student teaching like?"

37. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

So it appears this may be a para 1 to 1 position.

Even thoug it was quick and a "prelim" interview send a thank you note/email. I always do that the same day many times as soon as I get home.

You never know this position may not come available but they may get something else and they will remember you.

You should always do something that will potentially move you along in the process.

38. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

How did you answer the question? Do you think that your answer is what they were looking for? How did they respond to you/your answer?

39. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

If it weren't a one-to-one, they'd say in the email/job posting that it were for a classroom.

"I was at <school>."

"Oh, is that in <Town, which is clearly stated on my resume>? That's part of <nearby town>, right?"

"No, it's a separate town. I was in a split placement - half of the day I was in general ed, the other half I was in an inclusion classroom. It was very enjoyable, but it cemented my belief that I would do better with the upper elementary students."

She pretty much just wanted to know my experience. Asked me if I had subbed any, I explained that due to the district I live in not hiring subs for a while, a lot of districts in the area not having openings on their sub lists, and the fact that I cannot drive, it's a bit difficult to get sub work - she agreed with me and talked a bit about how public transportation in this area is horrible, unless you are going to NYC.

40. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

......nvm.........