I had a strange thing happen today!!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mldouglas, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

I had a strange thing happen to me today. I was subbing for this teacher and I got there a little early. The phone rang and it was a parent. She told me that the teacher I was subbing for usually allowed students to come in early and get help with an assignment. So she asked if it was okay for him to come in for help. I told her no and really didn't give a reason. Then I was talking to the teacher next to me and told her about the call and she said something about me not knowing what the assignment was or something like that. The mother asked for my name so I assuming that she is going to call the teacher tomorrow and complain about me. But I don't feel that I was in the wrong on saying no since I am only in there for the day and would have no idea what happened the day before!!

Mldouglas

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

Not only do you not know what happened the day before, but a substitiute teacher needs that time in the morning to prepare for the day - review the lesson plans, find the materials, study the teacher manuals, ask questions of nearby teachers, etc.

The parent was being unreasonable.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 1, 2008

wow- that is asking a lot! I just recently started subbing, now if that ever happens to me I will know it is well within my rights to say no too. That is pretty pushy, I know I need that time to at least look and make sure everything is ready and orientate myself. Good job saying no, sometimes its really hard to say no.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2008

You did the right thing. I'm surprised the parent would even ask you to do this.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 1, 2008

She need an early morning babysitter.

7. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

I think you are right

JaimeMarie,

In a way I think you are right. I do think it is possible that this teacher does do this because the teacher that was next door was doing the same thing with another student. I just can't believe that a parent would expect a sub to do the same thing as a regular teacher or get offended if I said no.

Mldouglas